Bubonicon discussion (ALL BOOKS SPOILERS!)

JonCon's Red Beard

Add to that Dany slaying the lie of the blue eyed king with no shadow, and Stannis' vision of a crown burning a king, and I think it's fair to say that Dany and Stannis will meet, and Dany will probably kill him.  Most likely because he refuses to bend the knee.  Like in the show, his mercenaries will probably defect, though this tiime it is because they don't want to face dragons.

The slayer of lies thing is interesting- I have come to believe that Dany herself is also a lie- that Jon snow is the only real "hero" but his heroism isn't going to be an aragon type- but it's going to be a Julius Caeser type.

Why can't the blue eyed king with no shadow be the king of the white walkers instead of Stannis?

Prophecy is exclusive to the book ,while  Others  character named as "Night's  King" has only appeared in the show.

"In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, there has not yet been any mention of the Others, who appear in person only very occasionally, currently having a leader or any kind of hierarchy. The Night's King is believed to be long dead, and the legends about him don't suggest he was an Other."  - from show wiki

Speaking of which AGF has published his full report of the event: http://angrygotfan.com/2015/09/02/grrm-bubonicon-after-action-report/

A translated-into-not-rage speak is here:

-------------------------
Subject: GRRM appearance at Bubonicon 47

Date: 301930AUG15 (Zulu)

Source: source is one George Richard Raymond ((Martin)) a wizened and masterful writer with over 60 years of experience creating worlds, weaving dreams, and instilling nightmares among millions. Source had direct access to information reported. Source is considered reliable and omnipotent.

Context: source provided information at a yearly science fiction and fantasy convention at Marriott hotel, Albuquerque, New Mexico United States. Source requested event not to be recorded but welcomed posting on the boards by over 200 guests in attendance. Source was invited to event due to subject matter expertise and godslike dominion over a song of ice and fire (ASOIAF).

Summary: Mr Martin read 2 chapters from TWOW (Barristan I and II), and answered questions on ASOIAF, HBO’s game of thrones, and gave a brief update on writing progress.

Text: 1. The winds of winter. Mr Martin dramatically read two previously released chapters of his upcoming book the winds of winter – Barristan I and II. He gave a brief description of events leading up to each chapter before the readings. (Field comment – for full text of Barristan I download the world of ice and fire app.)

2. Writing update. Recently Mr Martin has taken off several months from public appearances in order to focus exclusively on writing. (Source comment: I probably spent too much time on the sad puppies). Mr Martin stated that following an event he takes 1-2 days to reread the last few things he has written as well as reads books by other authors to get back into the flow of writing and the world of words. (Field comment: at this point Mr Martin used his hands to indicate his head.) Mr Martin stated that when he enters his world he is able to stay in it for days or weeks at a time and does not have a definite date yet for when he will end writing. Mr Martin stated that he does not have many events planned in the near term and plans to spend the rest of the year writing. (Source comment: they are making me go to the EMMYs in September.) Mr Martin mentioned that he has a few events scheduled in 2016 that were previous engagements and that he also has events scheduled as far into the future as 2019. Mr Martin mentioned that he has plans for two more dunk and egg novellas but will not write them until ASOIAF is completed. (Source comment: I am writing these last books now.) Mr Martin stated he would never go back and make changes to any of his books. Mr Martin stated he knows who will sit on the iron throne in the end.

3. Show vs books. Mr Martin stated that although he is happy with the HBO adaptation game of thrones, there are some wishes he has for the series. (Source comment: I am not perfectly happy with it). Mr Martin expressed that it is the most expensive show on television, has the largest cast, and films simultaneously in five countries. He stated that the showrunners work year round on the series, beginning the next season immediately after the last has ended production. Mr Martin stated that he wishes the show to have 12 or 13 episodes per season rather than only 10, but understands the budget constraints of the television medium, and pointed out the modified smaller scope of the battle of the Blackwater from the novel to the screen. Mr Martin stated that while actor Peter Dinklage embodies the spirit of character Tyrion Lannister, he is about a foot taller and far more handsome. Tyrion is consistently described as ugly and unattractive in the book. (Source comment: I have been living with these characters since I started writing in them in 1991, there is no way I could picture the TV actors when I write.)

4. Fan theories. Mr Martin welcomes and enjoys fan theories but reminded that not every written description or mention of something is a clue to some deep or vast conspiracy. Most of the time they are only the words he used to describe something or someone at the time and nothing more. (A lot of fan theories are correct out there but a lot are incorrect too.)

5. No outlines. Mr Martin expressed that he does not use outlines when he writes. (Source comment: as strange as that may sound.) He described himself as a gardener growing his stories rather than an architect who constructs them from blueprints.

6. Magic system. There is no fully-defined system of magic in the series. It is not a science that can be learned and followed by rote. (Source comment: to make a full system takes all the mystery and surprise out of it. It is supposed to be magic!) There is no astronomical system in the series. (Source comment: there are dinosaurs in the world of ice and fire in the far outlying lands.)

7. When asked by a guest, Mr Martin expressed that he does not believe that U.S. president Ronald Reagan allowed the earth to be seeded by alien bacteria and he has not thought about such a scenario, but considered it interesting before asking for another question.

8. Mr Martin has ideas for a sequel to fever dream, and ideas for other novels and short stories that are totally new. (Source comment: I want to get back to writing short stories; I love that form.)

9. When asked about his far future plans, Mr Martin expressed he plans to continue writing for another 30 years. (Source comment: I will be writing until the day I’m found dead slumped over my keyboard.)

10. Mr Martin acknowledged that his TUF voyaging series has some influence from other authors writing about environmental disasters and scarcity.

11. Mr Martin stated that he does not have any new songs yet written for the new books but will include them when he thinks of them. (Source comment: sometimes when you think of something good it still might not be the best thing for the series and it has to be cut even if you think it’s really good. Tolkien didn’t always get that but there were a lot of things Peter Jackson got right in cutting. I’ve probably cut enough material for a whole other book. I always wanted to be a lyricist and in the 70s I used to live in a house with musicians and when I showed them my lyrics, they told me to stick to my stories. However, I am now collecting royalties on the lyrics for my ASOIAF songs. I just joined the SGA.) Mr Martin stated Jerry Garcia is a strong influence on his writing and listening to it while he writes puts him in a happy place.
-----------------------------

Slayer of Lies triplet is about false identities.

daughter of death

slayer of lies

bride of fire

sorry, i don't see false identities here. not saying that the blue eyed king who casts no shadow with a red sword is NOT Stannis, but it is not necessarily Stannis, and even if it is Stannis it doesn't mean she kills him or even meets him.  she also sees a vision of the red wedding, which came and went with her still in Essos.

daughter of death

slayer of lies

bride of fire

sorry, i don't see false identities here. not saying that the blue eyed king who casts no shadow with a red sword is NOT Stannis, but it is not necessarily Stannis, and even if it is Stannis it doesn't mean she kills him or even meets him.  she also sees a vision of the red wedding, which came and went with her still in Essos.

Slayer of Lies triplet has "cloth dragon" which represents fAegon, "blue eyed king with no shadow" which represents Stannis and the "stone beast breathing shadow fire" which is extremely hard to identify for the time being.

Besides, if the Night's King is the blue eyed king with no shadow, how can he have a red sword? The sword of the Others are not red.

Slayer of Lies triplet has "cloth dragon" which represents fAegon, "blue eyed king with no shadow" which represents Stannis and the "stone beast breathing shadow fire" which is extremely hard to identify for the time being.

Besides, if the Night's King is the blue eyed king with no shadow, how can he have a red sword? The sword of the Others are not red.

okay red sword is a good point, probably not a white walker.  however, i would still say if her vision is of stannis doesn't mean she meets him  or kills him because much of what she saw was in the past, or like the red wedding, it was in the future at the time, but she played no part in it, still it was in her vision.

ETA I doubt the stone beast is a false identity. there are other 3s in the vision that have nothing to do w/false identity.

Archived