A Thread for Small Questions VI

Lady Blackfish

Last question in thread v came from Dacey Mormont and got a couple answers, but I'll put it in here anyway in case there's any more:

Has Mance Rayder really been at Winterfell at the feast when king Robert&co were there?

<snip>

Can't see any reason to assume he wasn't. According to his story, he fell in with Robert's company a day south of Winterfell, and once they got to the castle Mance would have had plenty of opportunity to see the direwolves around the Stark children during the several hours before the feast started, not to mention that the presence of direwolves would have been a topic of gossip for the king's men from the south. Mance doesn't specifically say that it was at the feast he saw them, or even that he actually saw them as opposed to being told about them. As you say, he certainly seems to know plenty of circumstantial detail about what happened.

Of course, it could equally well be a continuity error, but if so it's only a very small one that can be handwaved away as above.

Dacey, I didn't read the scene that way at all. "Did you see where they put the bastard?" seemed to me like a rhetorical question, not a test of Mance's knowledge. Anyone familiar with the customs of Westeros would know that Jon wouldn't have had an honored position at table-- after all, it's considered somewhat unusual that Ned has even taken him into the household as closely as he has. He's just not spelling out the point ("And that's why I resent the Starks and don't have any loyalty to the Seven Kingdoms") on the assumption that Mance will understand what he's getting at.

Jon's own thoughts support this, I think: before he starts the speech that leads up to "Did you see where they put the bastard?", Jon thinks "There is only one tale that he might believe." That makes no sense if he's trying to catch Mance in a lie.

It's an interesting point about the wolves, but I don't think it's that significant. Mance didn't say he saw them sitting at the children's feet at dinner; he just said he saw "Lord Eddard's children and the wolf pups that ran at their heels," which he could've easily seen on the way there before dinner.

I also thought that it might be a continuity error, the thing about the wolves. Or perhaps I misunderstood the sentence (English is a foreign language for me) - I really thought that Mance said he saw the wolves at the feast. I read Jon's question like a rhetorical one too. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the answers.

Hi new to the forum, just got done reading the 4 books over January and my head is full of questions.

Did Shae have anything to do with Joff's poisoning? I read a thread here where there were many hypothesis but nobody gave Shae much of a role in it. The reason I ask is that before the wedding when Tyrion and Sansa are dressing, Shae works with Sansa hair and the hair "magic" net Dontos gave her. As well a bit later in the chapter Shae out of the blue asks if she can be a server at the wedding and this seems odd to Tyrion. The last point I have is the general mystery of Shae being found in Tywin's bed which gets me to wondering if she has played a larger role in story.

Renly was not fostered, exactly: instead he seems to have been raised at Storm's End by the castellan, Ser Courtney Penrose. (If I remember correctly, anyway.)

I don't recall any reference as to whether Stannis was fostered and if so, who with. I don't think it's mentioned. The only references to Stannis' youth seem to involve Robert or his parents and are likely to have taken place at Storm's End, but that certainly doesn't mean he wasn't fostered.

Hi new to the forum, just got done reading the 4 books over January and my head is full of questions.

Did Shae have anything to do with Joff's poisoning?

It's possible. Lady Olena Tyrell is also suspected, as indicated when LF questions Sansa about her hairnet and who was fixing it. Either way, it hasn't been confirmed to my knowledge.

But I think Shae wanting to be a server at the wedding wasn't more than her desire to attend it, dress fancy etc. She did have a penchant for such stuff, IIRC. But it could be more significant, of course.

It's possible. Lady Olena Tyrell is also suspected, as indicated when LF questions Sansa about her hairnet and who was fixing it. Either way, it hasn't been confirmed to my knowledge.

But I think Shae wanting to be a server at the wedding wasn't more than her desire to attend it, dress fancy etc. She did have a penchant for such stuff, IIRC. But it could be more significant, of course.

Lady Olena is suspected because there is text to support it, other than her just being at the feast.

As far as I can remember, there isn't any text supporting Shae's involvement, other than her just being a server at the feast.

GH

Renly was not fostered, exactly: instead he seems to have been raised at Storm's End by the castellan, Ser Courtney Penrose. (If I remember correctly, anyway.)

I don't recall any reference as to whether Stannis was fostered and if so, who with. I don't think it's mentioned. The only references to Stannis' youth seem to involve Robert or his parents and are likely to have taken place at Storm's End, but that certainly doesn't mean he wasn't fostered.

I think it's most accurate to say Stannis was mostly raised by Maester Cressan, or at the very least Cressan felt a paternal responsibility for Stannis after the death of Lord Steffan and his wife.

Makes me wonder though, who was ruling the Stormlands while Robert was in the Vale?

I think it's most accurate to say Stannis was mostly raised by Maester Cressan, or at the very least Cressan felt a paternal responsibility for Stannis after the death of Lord Steffan and his wife.

Makes me wonder though, who was ruling the Stormlands while Robert was in the Vale?

Must be the castellan at the time, some Ser Harbert, who is a great-uncle of the Baratheon siblings, either from the Baratheon side or the Estermont side.

little question here: I was rereading AFfC when Sansa/Alayne talks with Mya Stone:when she was little(Mya) there was this big man(King Robert I think) who played with her and one time she laughed so hard that she peed on herself etc( :D ) Then suddenly he stopped visiting her: that happened because he became King, right?

little question here: I was rereading AFfC when Sansa/Alayne talks with Mya Stone:when she was little(Mya) there was this big man(King Robert I think) who played with her and one time she laughed so hard that she peed on herself etc( :D ) Then suddenly he stopped visiting her: that happened because he became King, right?

Robert and Ned were both fostered by Jon Arryn. My guess is that he fathered Mya while he was being fostered. Then (my guess is) at some time, he went back to Storm's End as the oldest son and heir. But it's pretty much confirmed that Mya is one of Robert's bastard children. I'm not sure of the exact timeline.

GH

Mya is like 18, so I think he came frequently to visite her (and Jon Arryn) until the rebellion began:once he became the King and married Cersei he couldn't see her anymore, maybe 'cause Cersei would kill her fearing he could un-bastard her

Nah, I think he just stopped caring, like he did for Edric after a while.

Did Shae have anything to do with Joff's poisoning? I read a thread here where there were many hypothesis but nobody gave Shae much of a role in it. The reason I ask is that before the wedding when Tyrion and Sansa are dressing, Shae works with Sansa hair and the hair "magic" net Dontos gave her. As well a bit later in the chapter Shae out of the blue asks if she can be a server at the wedding and this seems odd to Tyrion. The last point I have is the general mystery of Shae being found in Tywin's bed which gets me to wondering if she has played a larger role in story.

I wondered this as well after rereading but for that to be true there would too many hands in the pie and Tywin would be working with Littlefinger to end Joff's rule and get rid of Tyrion (since he knew he would be a judge. If you really think about it from a motive perspective it gets too convoluted and stops making sense. IMO anyways. ) GRRM probably put that little bit about Shae with the hair net just to throw us off. I also think that this is probably far from a small question since it can't really be answered with 100% certainty.

I wondered this as well after rereading but for that to be true there would too many hands in the pie and Tywin would be working with Littlefinger to end Joff's rule and get rid of Tyrion (since he knew he would be a judge. If you really think about it from a motive perspective it gets too convoluted and stops making sense. IMO anyways. ) GRRM probably put that little bit about Shae with the hair net just to throw us off. I also think that this is probably far from a small question since it can't really be answered with 100% certainty.

Not sure there's that much mystery about Shae being found in Tywin's bed. She was a whore, already conviently inside the Red Keep, he had gold, and with his 10 year old grandson on the Throne, he was probably a lot less worried about exposure than when he presumably had the passage to Chataya's built as Aerys's hand.

I was wondering why Septas are used as teachers for girls like Sansa and Margaery?

In AGOT we see Septa Mordane (?) teaching both Arya and Sansa ladylike manners etc. But why would a septa know more about this than say some more experienced women, perhaps married to a vassal or knight etc?

Couldnt girls like Arya be sent as maids to be taught how to behave, the same as sons of knights etc are sent to be squires? I imagine that this is the function of Margareys maids.

Not sure there's that much mystery about Shae being found in Tywin's bed. She was a whore, already conviently inside the Red Keep, he had gold, and with his 10 year old grandson on the Throne, he was probably a lot less worried about exposure than when he presumably had the passage to Chataya's built as Aerys's hand.

I was referring to Shae and Tywin working with Littlefinger to kill Joffery, not Tywin boning down on Shae.

Archived