Worldcon: Lake Tahoe hike

Anyone interested in going for a hike at Lake Tahoe before Worldcon?

Kat has an uncle who used to live in the area who worked for the forestry commission so she is going to find out the best place to go for the most beautiful views.

Rather than staying an extra night at the hotels in Reno for this I thought it might be better to stay overnight (Mon 15) in a cheaper hotel near Lake Tahoe, perhaps South Lake Tahoe which seems to be the best area for hiking, that way we can get out earlier in the day and make it up to Reno for whatever evening gathering will be taking place that night.

I know this may be too late for some people who have already booked flights and hotels but even if you're planning to stay in Reno on Monday night you can probably drive down to the lake and meet the rest of us there - so long as someone has a hire car and you're willing to make the early start of course. Although if most people are driving down it might make more sense to be at the north end of the lake closer to the city, anyway we can sort out those details once we know if anyone is up for it.

So anyone interested in partaking in some fresh air, a little exercise and some natural beauty. What better way for me to spend my birthday I ask you?

UPDATE: Unfortunately due to work commitments Kat will not be able to make it for the hike. I am still up for it but don't have any transport. Does anyone who wants to hike have a car to drive everyone out to the lake?

Mt. Tallac via the Cathedral Lake Trail is supposed to have great views of the lake and the peaks of the Desolation Wilderness area. It's about 10 miles round trip with about 3300 ft gain. I would say that you have to be in decent shape to do the hike. People who want an easier hike can stop at Cathedral Lake. I've been wanting to do this hike for a while now, but I'm waiting for the snow to consolidate in the next few months.

I'm keen to see Lake Tahoe. I am however already booked into the Peppermill for the monday night. Hopefully I can bum a lift with someone :)

Or rent a car if there's enough interest.

I'm keen to see Lake Tahoe. I am however already booked into the Peppermill for the monday night. Hopefully I can bum a lift with someone :)

Or rent a car if there's enough interest.

Well, Neil, maybe we can share the rental vehicle? We're at the Peppermill too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After a month of trying to get hold of Kat (seriously it was like she had dropped off the face of the planet) I finally got an email back from her, she has just been busy moving house and working on a new programme at the University she works at. This new programme means she will now be insanely busy all through the summer and will only be able to attend Worldcon Fri-Sun. This also puts the Lake Tahoe hike in doubt (unless we have enough people with cars wanting to do it), I've lost my lift from SF to Reno and any chance of a camping/hiking trip through Northern California in the week before is definitely off. This sucks.

Anyway, I am still up for the hike so long as we have some other hikers around with some transport. Anyone going to have a car in Reno?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it looks like its just the two of us still up for this? Anyone else around that day and interested in seeing Lake Tahoe?

After some investigation it seems car hire would not only be the most practical but also cheapest way to do this, prices around $100 for a one day hire. Neal would you be OK to do the driving? Its around 60 miles from Reno to Lake Tahoe.

If we wanted to do something different I did find a coach tour which takes in Lake Tahoe, Carson City and historic Virginia City. Costs $69. Departs 7 am, return to Reno around 6 pm. We would not get to do any hiking and the tour does spend more time in Virginia City than it does by the lake, but it would be an alternative if we can't hire a car.

So it looks like its just the two of us still up for this? Anyone else around that day and interested in seeing Lake Tahoe?

After some investigation it seems car hire would not only be the most practical but also cheapest way to do this, prices around $100 for a one day hire. Neal would you be OK to do the driving? Its around 60 miles from Reno to Lake Tahoe.

If we wanted to do something different I did find a coach tour which takes in Lake Tahoe, Carson City and historic Virginia City. Costs $69. Departs 7 am, return to Reno around 6 pm. We would not get to do any hiking and the tour does spend more time in Virginia City than it does by the lake, but it would be an alternative if we can't hire a car.

Yep, I'm happy to drive. The coach tour looks like pretty good value but I doubt we'll have any issues hiring a car :)

Archived