[ADwD Spoilers] That Tyrion thing

Lord Varys

I think that having Cersei and Jaime being the offspring of Aerys and Joanna (whether rape or consensual) would be a better twist for a couple of reasons. First I'll clarify that I don't think it would make them dragon riders or in a better position, but that it would add depth to the entire Lannister family dynamic.

The reason I think this is more likely is Barriston tells us about Aerys lust for Joanna in regards to the Lord's Right. If this were the case (and I don't know the timeline of marriage vs birth of C & J) then it could be assumed that he did in fact evoke the Lord's Right, and that they were the offspring of that act.

One of the best ramifications of this theory is that it means Tyrion is Tywin's only true son. It adds even more to the hatred between the two despite their similarities. It also brings Tywin's lore to a more GRRM-esque grayness - a great man who was essentially king twice, but couldn't father a healthy son. If he knows that Aerys produced a beauty like Cersei and a warrior like Jaime while all he ever had was a dwarf.

Also the idea that C&J are Targs adds a great aspect to the idea of the flipped coin mad/great. Personally I respect Jaime quite a bit, and think he is a great example of a man (with his own poor decisions in the name of love). Especially after being captured and losing a hand has changed him and made him develop new skills. Cersei is her fathers daughter (Aerys that is). She fears everyone, paranoid, mistrusting and over trusting at the same time, and an all around poor ruler.

I just think it adds alot more to all sorts of dynamics if the twins are in fact Targs. Let me know what you think>

• 1 year later...

Aerys, if Tyrion's father, decimates his Hand's royal aspirations by taking the heir, Jaime; refusing Cersei; and fathering the younger son. Tywin overreached and was punished; he had to take it or face being laughed at.

Isn't Maeles the Monsterous a deformed Targ? (I am guessing at the name. He comes up in a sellsword chapter)

I honestly don't see why everyone is so up in arms about the possibility of Tyrion being a Targ (assuming A+J=T). I think it fits and it's something Martin has been hinting at since aGoT and it doesn't really cheapen Tyrion's character. Tywin still raised Tyrion and raised him as his son, even if Aerys was Tyrion's father, Tyrion killing Tywin is just as bad as it would be if Tywin was his true father. It also might explain some of Tywin's doubts. Tywin probably lived his life unsure as to Tyrion's parentage and to err is human. This may also explain the crackpot theory that Joanna didn't die and became a silent sister.

I honestly think it would be cool if Tyrion has Targ blood, and it doesn't make him any less a Lannister. Also everyone here seems up in arms about all the Targs running about. Last I checked we weren't sure that Aegon returned is actually Targaryen. I find it doubtful after the dubious circumstances surrounding his escape and how he was subsequently given to Jon Connington. From the sounds of it, it took several years before "Aegon" was given to Jon to foster. Why? And what's that about Aegon's eyes again?

This. So much. I don't see

1) what is the problem with Tyrion being a Targ,

2) why don't those who are more sceptic with the theory even give it a chance when it is really STRONGLY hinted on multiple levels.

I can't accept the argument that now there would be too mouch Targaryen out there. Dany, Aegon, Tyrion, Jon, that makes for (and a nice minus 1 if Faegon is true). It has also been strongly hinted from the start that "the dragon has 3 heads". I don't see why is it even a surprise to so much people. I think everyone overdimensionated the major archs of this story, and expects everywhere a twist on twist. If Martin goes this way, its still gonna be a GREAT-BIG twist.

Truth is, this forum is the source of all these overmistification. The amount of various theories, crackpots is amazing but also terrifying.

I bet may head on that most people wouldn't even came on realization with the R+L=J theory by themselves here if not for this forum.

Of course this story - and particularly Tyrion being a Targ-theory - looks f***g simple and cliche when everything is laid-spread out here clearly and neatly.

I think that having Cersei and Jaime being the offspring of Aerys and Joanna (whether rape or consensual) would be a better twist for a couple of reasons. First I'll clarify that I don't think it would make them dragon riders or in a better position, but that it would add depth to the entire Lannister family dynamic.

The reason I think this is more likely is Barriston tells us about Aerys lust for Joanna in regards to the Lord's Right. If this were the case (and I don't know the timeline of marriage vs birth of C & J) then it could be assumed that he did in fact evoke the Lord's Right, and that they were the offspring of that act.

One of the best ramifications of this theory is that it means Tyrion is Tywin's only true son. It adds even more to the hatred between the two despite their similarities. It also brings Tywin's lore to a more GRRM-esque grayness - a great man who was essentially king twice, but couldn't father a healthy son. If he knows that Aerys produced a beauty like Cersei and a warrior like Jaime while all he ever had was a dwarf.

Also the idea that C&J are Targs adds a great aspect to the idea of the flipped coin mad/great. Personally I respect Jaime quite a bit, and think he is a great example of a man (with his own poor decisions in the name of love). Especially after being captured and losing a hand has changed him and made him develop new skills. Cersei is her fathers daughter (Aerys that is). She fears everyone, paranoid, mistrusting and over trusting at the same time, and an all around poor ruler.

I just think it adds alot more to all sorts of dynamics if the twins are in fact Targs. Let me know what you think>

How do you explain their appearance?

I just love the idea of all three of Tywin’s kids being Mad Aerys’ bastards! :laugh:

It’s such a fine symmetry to the spectacle of all three of Robert Baratheon’s official kids being bastards as well, and every last one of the six being of Targaryen blood.

Targ blood is special, but very dangerous, because it’s magical, and as we know “sorcery is a sword with no hilt.” Just as with the inbred Targs, some of the bastards are horribly vile creatures of terror, a few others are sweet and/or normal, and a very rare, rare few have exceptional gifts of intellect, vision, and maybe even the ability to ride dragons.

Too many Targ bastards you say??? There have been Targ bastards littering the Westerosi landscape for the past 300 years, in every generation (though most frequently in Dragonstone, no surprise there!). In The Princess and the Queen we get to see this overly fertile madness in all its grisly horror, as the dragon lords go after one another and actively recruit “dragonseeds”, no matter how high- or low-born they might be, from all over the kingdom to ride dragons into battle for both sides of the dynastic conflict.

And why not? This is A Song of Ice and Fire, and what could be more firey than dragonspawn, spreading everywhere, madly, passionately burning everything they touch, including each other?

No wonder Westeros needs the Starks!

GRRM is a master of “fractal writing”, where traces of myth, allusion, and narrative echoes repeat and reverberate at all levels of the story, woven in rich textures that both hide and display facts and fancies everywhere. He always leaves clues, though each story is not one but many simultaneously, and often more than one of them is true, just not often how one might expect.

Their appearance as Lannisters? Joanna was a Lannister, a cousin of Tywin, they could easily have inherited her traits. The Targ appearance doesn't always dominate

And you mean Aerys who fathered two perfectly Targaryen-looking child wouldn't pass any visible Targ features to Cersei and Jaime just because their mother is really a Lannister? I think it'd be simply bad writing.

One of the rare moments where we see Joanna is when Jaime dreamt of her. In his dream, she mentioned what Tywin dreamed for his children but never mentioned Tyrion.

I noticed this too. If the shade that we see is indeed Joanna, she is confirming that Cersei and Jaime are Tywin's children, while Tyrion's omission is interesting.

• 1 month later...

Tyrion has one green and one black eye. Should have been purple and green for this Aerys-Joanna thing to work.

Seeing how infallible the genes in Martin's story are in showing themselves, no purple eyes should kill this theory.

It has been said many times in the book that purple eyes often look black.

• 1 month later...

Little else does make sense, I imagine. It would be pointless to make Cersei and Jaime secret Targaryens, whereas Tyrion hangs around Meereen and has to tame two dragons in the near future. Also, it would make no sense to introduce Joanna as Aerys's true love, or the woman he desired above all others, if this never ever played out. Dany has an affair with Daario, so Aerys most likely shared his blankets with Joanna Lannister once or twice. And later rather than sooner, as the young Aerys and the young Tywin were actually friends [it was rather interesting that Kevan and Tywin still hoped that Tywin would be recalled to court after Connington's failure, by the way], later on, Aerys did no longer like him that much. And we only know that Tywin was all that devoted to Joanna, not if she was that devoted to him. Especially the older Tywin would not have been what you would call the ideal husband.

It might be even somewhat suspicious or interesting that Joanna had no children for years and years after Jaime and Cersei. And in the end, there are Tyrion's dragon dreams, his mismatched eyes resembling those of Shiera Seastar, his platinum blond hair, and Tywin's suspicion that he was not his son.

Judging Tywin, he would never have murdered a child of Joanna's, but he might well have suspected something. But he would have told nothing about that, just as he never spoke about the incest...

Dany and Daario having sex is some odd evidence of Aerys and Joanna having a child.

Archived