Hugos: For Your Consideration - UPDATED for 2013 starting at post 144

LugaJetboyGirl

Refresh my memory, can we also nominate the entire season of GOT for best presentation long form? I see to remember something like that being discussed regarding other shows in years past, but can't remember the details.

ETA: Any chance this thread could be a sticky topic? It could be very useful.

Refresh my memory, can we also nominate the entire season of GOT for best presentation long form? I see to remember something like that being discussed regarding other shows in years past, but can't remember the details.

SInce this will probably be a question that's asked a lot, here is what Parris just posted in the Chicon thread:

If You Want to Vote for HBO's Game of Thrones

A note about which category to nominate the HBO series either as a Long Form or Short Form Presentation for a specific episode:

"Serialized works:

Works such as TV series, comics and sometimes even whole novels are sometimes published in multiple parts making up a complete story arc. The individual elements of such a story arc are always eligible for their year of publication. However, voters may want to nominate a complete story arc. In such cases it is the publication date of the final installment of the series that counts for eligibility purposes.

If an individual installment of a story arc achieves a nomination on its own then the complete story arc will probably be ruled ineligible if nominated. This is because the voters have clearly indicated that the installment stands on its own as a complete work and is not part of a longer work. (The same would apply if, for example, book 1 of a trilogy were to be nominated on its own.)"

(My bolds to mark important parts of the rules for the awards that a quick glance might miss)

So if I were nominating today for next year's Hugo awards, I'd probably either concentrate on getting one or two episodes of HBO's GoT nominated, or would cover my bets by including the entire series in Long Form as well. Besides, such a pattern of votes would give the Hugo awards committee something to gnaw over for a while. ;) :laugh:

Thanks for the link. I'm finding this dude's reactions and predictions hilarious~

I'm actually reading The Hunger Games right now, so it's all the more amusing to read this Mark's recap after I've read a chapter.

Those links are dead ends/or phising links to me.

My choices at this moment are:

for novel (in this order, so lower positions still can change):

The White-Luck Warrior

A Dance with Dragons

Among Others

The Quantum Thief

Embassytown

For short fiction I absolutely support both K. J. Parker and Yoon Ha Lee stories. K. J. Parker has 83k characters, according to my word processor (less than 16k words), so, yes, probably a novelette. I am not sure about others, since I don't read all that much short fiction. The Alchemist was quite good novella and seems to be eligible. Also some stories from Engineering Infinity were cool and they probably will make my list.

As for the short dramatic presentation category, I will most likely just nominate five Game of Thrones episodes.

The Quantum Thief

Not totally sure this will be eligible again -- it received a number of nominations for best novel this year, as it was originally published in the UK in 2010. Don't imagine there's any harm in recommending it again, but I'm not an expert on Hugo nomination rules.

Not totally sure this will be eligible again -- it received a number of nominations for best novel this year, as it was originally published in the UK in 2010. Don't imagine there's any harm in recommending it again, but I'm not an expert on Hugo nomination rules.

It will definitely be eligible for the Campbell. Whether it's good for the Hugos or not I suspect yes, but don't know for sure.

Thanks Parris and Luga for that info, that's exactly what I was looking for.

From Parris' explaination:

"If an individual installment of a story arc achieves a nomination on its own then the complete story arc will probably be ruled ineligible if nominated."

So, in an ideal world, having some sort of concensus of how we want to nominate for the show would be a good idea, correct? I'd hate for us to all nominate the show but dilute our voting power by being at cross purposes, if you know what I mean.

It should be, because the Hugo voting has such an American bias they can allow for non-US published works to be eligible in the year of US publication as well. I believe I saw it mentioned that this procedure was re-confirmed for Chicon.

from the Hugo Award FAQ:

What is this Eligibility Extension I have been hearing about? The members of WSFS have been concerned that works published in English outside of the US are not getting sufficient exposure to the voting public (the majority of whom are Americans). Frequently US publishers will pick up on successful British, Canadian or Australian books (amongst others) a year or two after their initial publication. American voters want to nominate them, but by then it is too late because the eligibility year is passed. So WSFS has been experimenting with extending eligibility for such works when they are first published in the US. Currently this rule is being renewed on a year-by-year basis and the precise details may change from year to year. Read the Hugo nominating ballot carefully and check out the various recommendation lists available online if you are uncertain about a particular work.

One short story I liked was "Story Kit" by Kij Johnson in Eclipse 4, probably not a good match for a Hugo, but I'd like to see it on some award ballots.

"The Architect of Heaven" by Jason K. Chapman in Clarkesworld was good as well, it starts really old-fashioned, but for me managed to pull the right strings to turn it around into a good direction.

"Tying Knots" by Ken Liu, also in Clarkesworld ought to be a contender as well.

It should be, because the Hugo voting has such an American bias they can allow for non-US published works to be eligible in the year of US publication as well. I believe I saw it mentioned that this procedure was re-confirmed for Chicon.

from the Hugo Award FAQ:

<rules stuff>

Right on. I had a feeling it might turn out to be something like that. Thanks for the info.

This is a much to have a reminder for Xray and I when it's time to nominate stuff next year as anything, but Leviathan Wakes and The Dragon's Path both came out this year.

And among other things, John Picacio did the ASOIAF calendar. In case anyone needs more fodder for the artist nomination.

Not sure what the proper way to go about this is, but fans of Leviathan Wakes could nominate either James S. A. Corey or Ty Franck for the Campbell.

Ian Tregillis will be in his second year of eligibility for the Campbell.

In case you don't know what the Campbell is:

The John W. Campbell Award is given to the best new science fiction or fantasy writer whose first work of science fiction or fantasy was published in a professional publication in the previous two years.

Nomination and voting for the Campbell is part of the Hugo ballots, so if there are new authors you feel deserve special recognition, this is a good chance to help them gain that.

That's a very nice cover. Find the artists name and post it, mate!Also, the artist who does Norah Jemisin's covers should be nominated.

That would be Cliff Nielsen.

• 1 month later...

On the Game of Thrones issue, is it still the case that the nominated production team can withdraw episodes of their choice from contention?

For example, say 3 episodes from GoT make it onto the shortlist, can HBO or the producers withdraw two of them from contention so fans can concentrate the weight of their votes behind one episode and ensure it wins?

This happened in 1996 and 1997 when multiple episodes of Babylon 5 made it onto the shortlist. J. Michael Straczynski withdrew all but one episode in each case and the show won the Hugo in both years (The Coming of Shadows for the former and Severed Dreams for the latter).

The question would be which episode to try and get people behind. The front-runners would likely be The Pointy End (written by GRRM) or Baelor (for the concluding scene and the high-stakes-albeit-offscreen battles elsewhere), but I can see people making a case for the first episode as well.

Would that really matter? I thought the voting pattern in the recent Who wins demonstrated that the secondary and tertiary votes to other episodes in the same series can easily carry the win.

Archived