Hugos: For Your Consideration - UPDATED for 2013 starting at post 144

LugaJetboyGirl

Thanks. I was able to fix that thanks to my vote not getting accepted. The website seemed a little sluggish. (even more than this board at times. :drunk: )

I had the same problem with the website. Maybe there are huge hoards of people all trying to get their nominations in on the last day, we can hope :)

• 4 weeks later...

But, hey, GOT got to be long form and there's a community episode!

Best novel is a bit bland, I guess, but at least inoffensive. no The Heroes but no Ready Player One either, which is what I was dreading. ( Among Others over Ready Player One for indulgent nostalgic fandom wallowing any day.)

It's seriously time for a new rule covering this, and to my recollection it's been like this the last couple of years as well. One episode per calendar year or else it goes into Long Form for the whole season's body of work.

Congrats to GRRM for the nominations; part of me is thinking that Harry Potter's final installment may be the sentimental favourite for long-form dramatic, but I think GoT will win in that category. Not sure about best novel, though; ADwD's pacing had me frustrated as hell more than once.

Congrats to GRRM for the nominations; He's got some still competition for Best Novel,

Congrats for winning the Hugo, you mean. It's absolutely certain he'll win for a number of factors.

If you think otherwise you're delusional. Or wait a few months and you'll see I'm right.

Very good novel list, I think. Deadline is the only obvious turkey, IMHO. Apparently Mira Grant is new Robert Sawyer. I hope George wins, obviously, especially since he was robbed with ASOS losing to a Harry Potter novel, and it is time to put it right. I agree he is a clear favorite, thanks to HBO, but you never know. Failing this, Among Others and Embassytown would also make excellent winners. Leviathan Wakes, while perhaps not award level, is also quite decent novel.

I am also very happy with Ken Liu and E. Lily Yu getting nominations. The rest of short fiction list looks rather blah, IMHO.

I agree GOT seems a favorite in long dramatic presentation, but OTOH Hugo winning a Hugo would have a nice surreal flavor and some voters may go for this :)

Almost every year, there's three Doctor Who episodes. Some years there's three entries and four episodes (a two-parter sneaks in). I was telling Linda that it would be interesting to see a rule change to limit any single program to one entry in Short Form. Doctor Who isn't at all eligible for Long Form -- much too episodic, I'd think -- but surely just one episode would be nice to give other shows a chance to be nominated, even if a Doctor Who win in any given year is likely (if not necessarily inevitable)?

Congrats to GRRM for the nominations; part of me is thinking that Harry Potter's final installment may be the sentimental favourite for long-form dramatic, but I think GoT will win in that category. Not sure about best novel, though; ADwD's pacing had me frustrated as hell more than once.

I haven't read Deadline or Embassytown, and most of the books of the year I think are really award worthy aren't on there, but I'd still be happy with an ADWD win, and particularly on it's own merits rather than as part of ASOIAF. I think its a knotty, complex and unusually challenging book for epic fantasy and I could use more of those. Actually, I think it's the book of ASOIAF so far that I would be happiest to see win an all-genre award, (rather than an epic fantasy specific one, say.)

Also, fuck Dr who. Yeah I went there.

I got your back, Grack.

Almost every year, there's three Doctor Who episodes. Some years there's three entries and four episodes (a two-parter sneaks in). I was telling Linda that it would be interesting to see a rule change to limit any single program to one entry in Short Form. Doctor Who isn't at all eligible for Long Form -- much too episodic, I'd think -- but surely just one episode would be nice to give other shows a chance to be nominated, even if a Doctor Who win in any given year is likely (if not necessarily inevitable)?

I support this 100%. We should start thinking about how to make this happen.

I've definitely tried to think happy thoughts about the Hugo's ever since I started actually paying attention to them a few years ago. When it comes to short stories and novellas and what not I am totally out of the loop, but this year I tried extremely hard to keep on top of all the new 'hot' books that came out. I was amazed at how many I actually read.

But! I sure as hell know about SF/F movies and television. If there are any categories that I am an expert in, those would be the ones. So I find the nomination results to be really embarassing. Right now there are probably more SF/F shows on the air than ever in TV history. And many of them are exceptional and some are quite good - Fringe, Being Human, Supernatural, Eureka, and so on. For chrissakes, there's even the Vampire Diaries and the Secret Circle and The River.

I am also baffled that the overrated movie Hugo was nominated, when there were so many truly excellent movies from last year.

I can't believe how out of touch the Hugos are.

JBG,

Isn't part of the problem too few nomination ballots? A big push by a few Dr. Who fans has a big impact. As such, for short form it would make sense to say only one episode per series may be nominated. As for long form, I thought Hugo was a decent movie but I don't see it as Spec fiction. I'm not sure how to avoid "hip" nominations like Hugo except making a stronger definition for what qualifies for Hugo long form.

I support this 100%. We should start thinking about how to make this happen.

Come up with an idea, write as a proposal, go to worldcon, join the business meeting, get the proposal voted on, convince people, win the vote and repeat the next year. It is supposed to be quite simple.

(all going by second or even third hand information)

Yeah, what Seli says. I'm not attending this year, but I do have a membership.... I suppose it might be worth asking someone with experience of the WSFS like Cheryl Morgan or Kevin Standlee if they're aware of previous efforts to establish similar rules, and why those attempts failed. If it's never been tried before, I'd think it'd certainly be worth attempting.

As such, for short form it would make sense to say only one episode per series may be nominated.

Or perhaps a cumulative 50% penalty to subsequent episodes? Eg if three Doctor Who stories are nominated with 950, 900, and 800 nominations respectively, these are counted as 950, 450, and 200 nominations for the purposes of calculating what goes on the ballot. So it's not impossible for multiple episodes of the same show to get on the ballot, but there needs to be really overwhelming support for it rather than a simple plurality voting block.

I'm not sure how to avoid "hip" nominations like Hugo except making a stronger definition for what qualifies for Hugo long form.

I don't think it is reasonably possible to exclude such things if a sufficiently large number of nominators want them in; overly strict criteria cause problems of their own.

I really think the Hugos need a more diverse set of dramatic presentation categories, as with written fiction. Perhaps Long Form, Short Form, Serial, and Episode? Where Game of Thrones season one would go under Serial, a DW story under Episode, movies under Long Form, and short films (eg Fuck Me, Ray Bradbury) under Short Form. And if that's too many, combine Short and Long into Standalone (generally including sequel movies that aren't totally dependent on familiarity with the previous installment(s)).

I know it's been discussed before, but does anyone even read semiprozine or fanzines? I don't know /anyone/ that reads that shit, although i'm not as entrenched in the nerd subculture as most, but I try to stay connected.

Does anyone on here read them? Are they even relevant anymore?

I know it's been discussed before, but does anyone even read semiprozine or fanzines? I don't know /anyone/ that reads that shit, although i'm not as entrenched in the nerd subculture as most, but I try to stay connected.

Does anyone on here read them? Are they even relevant anymore?

I didn't know they still existed.

Archived