Least Favorite house or group(ADWD Spoilers)

KingWolf

First I put the spoiler warning in case we start to discuss things relating to the new book. Second if this theard has been done over a dozon times already please feel free to tell me. Ok anyway I was wondering what house you hated most of all of them. I'm going to include any small groups as well like the bloody mummers. Anyway My least favroite house or group is byfar the Freys, though I hate the Lannisters as well, there at least a few characters in their house I like,(Tyrion and Jamie) but with the Freys there is no person in their house I like. The majority of them are so full of themselves, and they really belive that they can get away with the Red Wedding. So what is your least favorite house or group.

Out of the major houses, it's probably the Martells. It just annoys me how they constantly fail at everything. Arianne tries to crown Myrcella, fails. Doran wants to marry one of his children to a Targaryen, fails. Twice. Quentyn wants to tame dragons, fails epically. (Oberyn actually succeeded in getting vengeance on Gregor, but he still got killed) Combine that with the fact that they were introduced fairly late in the series, so we didn't have much time to build up sympathy for them, and I'm like "Why are we reading about this bunch of incompetents again?". Hopefully they'll manage to actually accomplish something in the next books.

for me it's a tie between freys and lannisters.

freys for lord walder being a douche lord (late lord frey) and not supporting his liege lord when they were being attacked by the lannisters. and that bit called the red wedding was unforgivable but their karma tab should be coming due pretty soon.

and the lannisters cause cersei is a creapy brother fucking whore. and her son joffrey murdered my ned (possibly at the suggestion of littlefinger). and then there is tywin's defilement of ice. that was wrong on too many levels.

dishonourable mention goes out to house baelish for inflicting littlefinger on the realm.

Out of the major houses, it's probably the Martells. It just annoys me how they constantly fail at everything. Arianne tries to crown Myrcella, fails. Doran wants to marry one of his children to a Targaryen, fails. Twice. Quentyn wants to tame dragons, fails epically. (Oberyn actually succeeded in getting vengeance on Gregor, but he still got killed)

... I'm like "Why are we reading about this bunch of incompetents again

This is hysterical. I never thought of it like this.

I would have to agree, though, that for me the Freys are the most hated. I think we've ALL known a family who is petty and nasty like they are (ok, maybe we don't know anyone who kills their wedding guests, but we might know some who would enjoy doing it if they could get away with it)

I would hate the Martell's too if it weren't for the sandsnakes though they haven't done much so far.

The ironbourne are annoying as a group, but they have given us Asha, the Reader and Euron.

I hate Stannis and particularly the Queen's men.

The Freys are simply in a league of their own. They were simply placed there for us to hate with no redeeming qualitiy whatsoever, not even us enoyable, psychopathic, creepy villains like the Boltons.

Honorable mention to the Yunkai'i, though they border on comic relief.

Hate- Most Frey household (there are some innocent Freys) RW

The Boltons- flay them all.

Martells- just bore me but there seems to be a long end game, they just don't seem very bright.

Except for Asha and Theon I find the Greyjoys boring.

This opinion is not going to be popular so no flaying please :-)

I get why people hate the "leading Freys" who planned and conducted the RW but why hating the whole house? Personally I really pity the Frey women. Being a woman in Westeros generally sucks but being a Frey woman must be hell from what we have seen in the books. I hate the late Lord Frey for the way he treats his daughters and their children. Besides it is rather telling that Fat Walda even views the marriage to a Bolton as an improvment to her life on the Twins..

I guess that there is a little bit of irrationality in terms of Frey hate because they harmed the Starks and destroyed their (already doomed) king of the North dream. Other houses -like the Lannisters- also have done terrible deeds but people in general seem to be better at differing between the good ones like Myrcella, Tommen etc and the bad ones like Tywin.

I don´t hate a certain house but I can´t bring myself to like the Targaryens. For my tastes they have a certain Nietzsche Übermensch vibe going on that makes it very difficult for me to truly relate to them and their struggle (the only exception is the Master on the Wall whom I really liked).

Aside from the Lannisters, Freys, the Boltons are on my serious "hate" list.

I concur about the Martells. They are incompetent, as well as over rated as a powerful House. Doran basically says they rule on mystique alone of being the only group the Targaryens coldn't hold.

For all their outrage over Elias death, they still have no issues with marrying the Lannisters to maintain their own power.

The Targaryens too. I don't necessarily hate them, but I don't know they have anymore a legitimate claim to rule that land than anyone else, especially without their super weapons, the dragons.

I will make this less about the actual members of any house, but about the 'house' itself and how much (or not) I like to picture their courts. Going by atmosphere and setting, I rather enjoy reading about the Freys and the Boltons, mostly because their courts are creepy, bleak and a bit shabby, that's a great setting and captures more of what I think 'real' medieval castles must have felt like living in: cold, bleak, full of bored and scheming people. These scenes actually remind me of how Ulrich von Hutten describes life in the castles of minor houses. I would very much like to see more of the Frey court, but of course I also want to see that scheming old son of a bitch die in the end. Same with the Boltons. No need to repeat what I wish on them and their fucked up letters. But those are the houses that provide the best and most captivating reading.

While in comparison any mention of Targaryens makes me think of a plastic court for children, made by My Little Pony. I think it's the hair and eye colour. I just can't cope with it.

Also the Martells bore me to death and I don't like to read about their court neither. Yes, the women wear shreds of nothing, the food is spicy and the children are naked. So what? Reads more like an advertisement in a somewhat desperate travel agency.

House Frey - Reasons are obvious. Excluding Roslin and Olyvar.

House Bolton - Ramsay is a freak. Roose is ok.

House Florent - Each member of this House has been shown to be an utter tool. Selyse is the worst.

I love the Greyjoys. Victarion and Euron are two of my favourite characters in the entire series, Asha and Aeron are awesome and Balon was ok from what little we saw of him.

Archived