White Walkers and Others

TyrionsFlagon

The Wights are zombies controlled, to a degree, by the White Walkers.

The White Walkers are generally equated with the Others but may not be exactly interchangable. There's a lot of debate on this with a strong - but disputed - opinion that the White Walkers serve the Children. At any rate they are or were human with some or all of them being Craster's sons.

They're the same thing. And yep, they both have blue eyes. The others seem alot more powerful/intelligent, whereas the wights they create are (pretty much) just mindless zombies

These things are the same, right? Or are white walkers the wights? Do the "Others" have blue eyes also?

I'm sure much smarter people will post here but I'll contribute my 2 cents anyway...

I think it hasn't been established beyond a doubt that the Others are the same beings as the White Walkers. The wights are different from both; they are the White Walker's thralls. Whoever (any species, including humans) is killed by a White Walker turns into a wight. The wights don't seem to be so mindless, imho; they seem to at least retain some memories of their lives - the wight Jon kills at Castle Black seems to know who Mormont is; also, Thistle (ADwD prologue) seems to recognise Varamyr.

Also, the Others/WW and wights are killed in different manners.

I have always though the Others and White Walkers are the same and killed by dragonglass and perhaps Valyrian steel. Whights are zombies made by the WW/Others and they die by fire.

Remember that Sam tried to use dragonglass on a wight (on the Fist, I think) and it didn't work. Dragonglass works on Others/White Walkers, but not wights. Don't think anyone has tried fire on the Others, but they are more elusive than wights.

The White Walkers are generally equated with the Others but may not be exactly interchangable. There's a lot of debate on this with a strong - but disputed - opinion that the White Walkers serve the Children. At any rate they are or were human with some or all of them being Craster's sons.

Really? I thought White Walkers was just the wildling name for The Others.

I have always though the Others and White Walkers are the same and killed by dragonglass and perhaps Valyrian steel. Whights are zombies made by the WW/Others and they die by fire.

I thought this as well but then the thought crossed my mind, do we know if dragon fire has any effect on the others?

Remember that Sam tried to use dragonglass on a wight (on the Fist, I think) and it didn't work. Dragonglass works on Others/White Walkers, but not wights. Don't think anyone has tried fire on the Others, but they are more elusive than wights.

wait... I thought Sam's dagger simply broke off because of the wight's armor, well the armor former human wore anyway... Any weapon is useless if you can't hit the actual flesh of the beast

I think Sam read a book that said that fire 'dismayed' the others or disorientated them or something to that extent :)

I don't think the White Walkers used to be human. I always thought that line about Craster's sons meant they'd be turned into wights, like anything else the White Walkers kill.

I think the sacrifice had little to do with turning them into wights. Who needs a week old Infant undead creature? They use the infant boys for something but that something could be anything from food to life energy to whatever other horrible thing you can think of including making blood paste out of them to serve to Bran. (see black crow's theory on COTF and the others being the same).

Really? I thought White Walkers was just the wildling name for The Others.

it is. It's been little confusing since the TV shows decided to rename "Others" to "White Walkers" after the pilot, so now many of the newer guys only now the others as "White Walkers".

Well in the very first chapter of the first book, the narrative refers to the White Walker we see as an Other. Same goes for Sam's POV chapter in ASoS, which is the only other time we see a White Walker. So the books seem to imply that they're the same thing too.

Regarding their weaknesses, we know for a fact that Dragonglass kills the White Walkers, but not the Wights. The Wights can be killed by fire or even by conventional weapons, if you completely hack them apart, but Dragonglass doesn't seem to have any more effect on them than any other physical blade. Whether the White Walkers can be killed by fire or physical force is unknown, since we've never seen one get hit by anything other than the Dragonglass dagger.

Now that I think about it, making wights out of Craster's infant sons does seem pointless, but I don't think the babies get turned into White Walkers either. I was strongly under the impression that the White Walkers were a different race altogether and were never really human. I'm not sure what happens to the babies, perhaps they get sacrificed to the Great Other in exchange for magical power, similar to Melisandre's sacrifices to R'hllor. That wouldn't explain the line about the sons returning, though.

Regarding their weaknesses, we know for a fact that Dragonglass kills the White Walkers, but not the Wights. The Wights can be killed by fire or even by conventional weapons, if you completely hack them apart, but Dragonglass doesn't seem to have any more effect on them than any other physical blade. Whether the White Walkers can be killed by fire or physical force is unknown, since we've never seen one get hit by anything other than the Dragonglass dagger.

Didn't Sam try fire on a WW and it didn't work?

I thought this as well but then the thought crossed my mind, do we know if dragon fire has any effect on the others?

When Dany went to the Warlock place she encountered creatures that met the same description as the others (blue eyes dark hands) and burnt them to a cinder. How much was a dream and how much real, very hard to tell.

Archived