116 replies to this topic

#1 Stannis Iron Baratheon

Stannis Iron Baratheon

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

How do people view Stannis in this episode? I found him, in the previous episodes, not what I wanted since he was my favorite character in the books. In "Garden of Bones" though he, in my opinion fills up to the expectation and the style that I perceived from the books. He seemd cold and calculated, richeous and just and all of the other qualities I learned to love. In the first few episodes though he seemed lustfull when it came to the prospect of being king and getting a son, which seemed off character to me. But now I think that he is being portrayed the way I personaly invisioned it.

#2 teemo

teemo

the swift scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

He definitely seemed more like the Stannis I know. It also seemed like he was aware of exactly what was going to happen with the shadowbaby.

#3 The Frostfangs

The Frostfangs

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

I noticed that too. In the books he denys knowing what killed renly.

#4 salt

salt

Branana Tree

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

I don't know. I can deal with it, I suppose, I just keep the books and the show totally separate in my mind.

The dysfunctional relationship between the Baratheons was one of my favorite elements of the books, and it just hasn't translated to the show. I can't claim to be happy with what they've done with Stannis, but I still enjoy the show.

#5 Tourne-Toujours

Tourne-Toujours

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Dillane is growing on me as Stannis. Having said that, in the books I imagined Stannis as a hardass, in the show he comes across as a spoiled child.

#6 Dracarya

Dracarya

And though she be but little, she is fierce

• Members
  • 4,578 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

I love the way Dillane portrays Stannis, so my issues with the differences are small. I too thought book-Stannis had no idea about the shadowbabies, but alas, it's more likely that he did know what Melisandre was up to. I don't mind really, he really is a blinding actor, I'm just disappointed there was no peach!

#7 whiteraven77

whiteraven77

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

I love the way Dillane portrays Stannis, so my issues with the differences are small. I too thought book-Stannis had no idea about the shadowbabies, but alas, it's more likely that he did know what Melisandre was up to. I don't mind really, he really is a blinding actor, I'm just disappointed there was no peach!

I was totally waiting for the peach too! was disappointed about that. Renly did hold what i think was an apple when talking to Littlefinger in his pavillion but not the same.

#8 ServantOnIce

ServantOnIce

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Not a fan of his potrayal so far . . we shall see. ..

#9 Dracarya

Dracarya

And though she be but little, she is fierce

• Members
  • 4,578 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

I was totally waiting for the peach too! was disappointed about that. Renly did hold what i think was an apple when talking to Littlefinger in his pavillion but not the same.

I know! I thought that was a peach from the promo, but no /frown5.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':frown5:' />

#10 Howland Reed

Howland Reed

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

I think they are portraying Stannis relatively well. I think the actor looks a little too charismatic/handsome than I perceived Stannis to be.

#11 The Smiling Eye

The Smiling Eye

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

He doesn't seem very honorable to me at all...

#12 Jamie Lannister

Jamie Lannister

The Lion of Lannister

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Paraphrasing here, but: "Clean methods don't win wars."

Isn't that kind of the complete antithesis to the values Ironman Stannis is supposed to cling to?

#13 The Smiling Eye

The Smiling Eye

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Paraphrasing here, but: "Clean methods don't win wars."

Isn't that kind of the complete antithesis to the values Ironman Stannis is supposed to cling to?

Agreed. I felt that quote was very odd. To me, he comes across as a guy who will be honorable only when it's comfortable to do so.

Edited by Ataraxia60, 23 April 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#14 Oberyn King

Oberyn King

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

I think tv Stannis is an evolving character. I didn't like him much the first episodes, but last night he seemed more kingly. Though I wouldn't like to see him less honourable than the book Stannis.

#15 Laohu

Laohu

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Character alterations aside, I really enjoyed the scene on the ship with Stannis and Davos. They had a nice, little exchange there - good character development.

#16 Ser Hippie

Ser Hippie

Hand to Oski the Bear

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Stannis isn't Ned. He's about duty, not honor, so it seems very much in character to do whatever it takes to claim the throne. After all, in his mind it's his throne that is being stolen and usurped.

I think the shadowbaby and his conversation with Davos (yeah you saved me but you were still a smuggler) should have helped establish him a bit better. And the grammar nazi bit was fantastic too.

Edited by Ser Hippie, 23 April 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#17 Fredwin

Fredwin

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

He doesn't seem very honorable to me at all...

Stannis is more about justice than honor. He's always walked a fine line. He is a bastard in the non-literal sense and has always been such an awesomely flawed character in the books.

I really want to see what happens in the books if/when someone has a stronger claim to the throne than he does, if he will swear fealty after all that has happened.

Edited by Fredwin, 23 April 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#18 Jessica Bendis

Jessica Bendis

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I think Stephen Dillane is great for the part, but the writing is disappointing when it comes to the Dragonstone characters. They're not spending enough time developing them.

#19 Tourniquet

Tourniquet

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Stannis gets better as the series goes on. He is one of a handful of characters that learns from mistakes and makes changes to his/her personality to actually become a better person.

Most characters in fantasy are flat. They go through the entire series without once ever making a meaningful change. Stannis is not one of them.

#20 ace

ace

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thought he was OK at first. But now changed my mind. Not liking him so far. More of a whiny kid than the bad MFer from the books. Just think of the book confrontation with Renly, and compare with the show. He really looks and feels weak. And if there's one thing Book Stannis never allowed himself to look it was weak.