I managed to make my created for the game ruler of Fair Isle pass from vassal of Kayce to Lord Paramount of the Westerlands...in less than a year, and without a war (for the Westerlands, anyway)!
Well, to be fair, things were set in motion before that, but here how I managed it:
1) My character had some very strong martial traits (formidable fighter, tall, authoritative) plus during the game managed to get some that helped (brave, diligent), resulting in him winning many tournaments and gaining a lot of prestige and money quickly;
2- I managed to make my daughter marry Tyrion, which is easy, since he trouble in getting a worthy marriage, for obvious reasons;
3) After they got married, I invited my daughter back to my court , and she accepted (I wonder why she didn't like Tywin all that much) taking Tyrion with her. They had two sons before he was murdered by a courier- and that courier was Rhaelle Targaryen, seriously (I married her to one of my couriers after Aerys died during Robert's Rebellion);
4) Since he died in my court (that about one year before I became LP), his sons were my couriers, so I quickly arranged a matrilineal marriage to another grandaughter for the eldest one, which would mean that my dynasty would rule the Westerlands anyway;
5) When I saw I had enough money to hire a couple of sellsword companies without causing much trouble (about 18 years after the game started), I begun a war for independence, and won relatively easily- my forces of about 4,500 smashed the 3 separate Kayce and bannermen forces quickly;
6) During the war, Tywin died, and my grandson became LP. When I won, I was quickly invited to become Master of Arms.
7) Then an option "Acquire the Westerlands" appeared, and I managed to get support from Ashemark, the Crag (always those Westerlings) and Lannisport. When I was able to send the letter to my grandson, already preparing for war, he gave up without a fight to avoid a civil war. And even if he somehow wins it back, I will still have my dynasty ruling the Westerlands eventually.
So, there you have the story of all a house of upstarts
passed from minor vassals of vassals to usurping the Lannister dynasty and stealing their title very quickly. And somewhere Lord Tywin is kicking himself and wishing to die again in his grave.
Next stop, stealing the Iron Throne from Rhaegar, the Tyrant Poet.
Edited by Winterfell is Burning, 16 July 2012 - 10:26 PM.