[Book Spoilers] GoT or The Walking Dead?

teemo

Does anybody else think that the WW that looked at Sam and went on could sense that he had Dragon Glass on his person? I'm trying to come up with an explanation as to why this happened. Though someone noted earlier that perhaps it was because Sam submitted to them, like Will in the pilot.

I don't think dragonglass works like silver to vampires. It's not a repellant, but it's certainly a weapon.

I don't think dragonglass works like silver to vampires. It's not a repellant, but it's certainly a weapon.

Haha I know I was clutching at straws there! Just trying to come up with some sort of answer and thought that maybe the Other sensed it on Sam so decided to walk on.

I had imagined the white walkers as graceful terrible elves of gleaming beauty, cunning, cold intelligent terror. Maybe even of a beauty that bewitches the living as much as it makes them helpless from fear. The essence of freezing cruelty, charismatic and heart stopping.

I didn't love either the wights or the white walkers. I did love the horse, though. That was pretty creepy. I thought the shape of the ww from the first scene of season 1 was more frightening.

I would have liked to see the group of the wights and ww coming through the snow, but only being able to see the forms of the wights and maybe the eyes of the ww. I think that would have been very scary!

The Others look fine, but the horses don't look right.

The first horse looks too fresh, the flesh should be older and have some ice. The horses should be covered in ice.

The second horse is not even dead.

The first horse looks too fresh, the flesh should be older and have some ice. The horses should be covered in ice.

Ummm.... what? How can you tell that? It was zoomed out for the second horse. And they just have to have died. They don't have to be long-decayed or frozen solid. I understand you wanting to see that, but the horse didn't look incorrect at all. Also, I agree that the Other looked good, but it wasn't accurate to the book descriptions (but who says that's important in this case?).

The WW looked like it had skin made of bark.

And its beard looks like it's growing off branchy type things. Possibly adds to the theory that the Others are in some way related to the CotF? If that's the case, I can forgive them for looking different to my view of them (which was more magicky and watery and shimmery and elegant(y))

I always pictured wights being sort of like the infected from 28 days later , with the ability to attack really fast and savagely and keep attacking relentlessly and also retaining some intelligence , the wights in the last episode just reminded me of the dim witted resident evil zombies all moaning and shuffling about .

Kinda dug the WW's though , especially the one we see as the camera pans out , he was also mounted but had some armor on .

I always pictured wights being sort of like the infected from 28 days later , with the ability to attack really fast and savagely and keep attacking relentlessly and also retaining some intelligence , the wights in the last episode just reminded me of the dim witted resident evil zombies all moaning and shuffling about .

Kinda dug the WW's though , especially the one we see as the camera pans out , he was also mounted but had some armor on .

I differ on the second WW. I was under the impression that no WW wears metal armor, and instead wears a crystalline/icy armor that is constantly reflecting and bending light. So that when they move, it looks like a quick flash.

Is there anything in the text to support that, all I can see is Sam describing them as slow and clumsy.

None of the Night's Watch could've escaped if they were 28esque while they were walking slowly in thick snow.

The WW's Horse in Sam's first SoS chapter was previously owned by a member of the Night's Watch, which suggests that they revive and use any horses that are available. So yes, some of them will be riding around on Horses that recently died and some of those may well of died from hypothermia - Which is why it doesn't look dead.

The wights are dead people (and animals) reanimated. It seemed like they were a collection of undead wildlings and such and that they looked fine. I hope they don't add a bunch of gore, because that's one of the things that separates these 'zombies' from traditional ones. Their blood and guts are basically dried out and black. They're like walking shells of men.

The WWs were o.k. I wasn't crazy about the one that looked at Sam, but I loved the second one they showed with the crazy mask on his face.

Which second one?

Was that in the same episode?

Yes, what the hell are people expecting? "I am so disappointed because the wights looked like zombies!!!"

They ARE zombies, how many different ways of looking are there for a reanimated body?

Not to mention the various stages of decay each of them will be in. Some will be fresher, and perhaps more animated (like the one that attacked Mormont.) Some will be in later stages of decomposition, and maybe the limbs and muscles don't work so well any more?

Would flesh really decompose in negative temperatures?

Which second one?

Was that in the same episode?

When the camera pans out to show the WW army, there is another mounted Other in what seems to be metal armor.

Would flesh really decompose in negative temperatures?

Remember Sam in the show (season 1). Othor's body was not rotten.

Is there anything in the text to support that, all I can see is Sam describing them as slow and clumsy.

None of the Night's Watch could've escaped if they were 28esque while they were walking slowly in thick snow.

I mean like Othor was when he attacked Jon , he was focused and relentless and also pretty fast moving , while I agree that the injured ones would move slowly it looked to me like the whole army was moving slowly .

My biggest problem with this last scene is that I just don't feel this massive threat to Westeros that the Others, White Walkers and Wights are supposed to represent. The books really keep the mystery around them. Even at the battle of the Fist of the first men, you barely get a glimpse of them, as the defenses crumble quickly and we are caught in a huge fog of war. The other moment I recall from the book is the prologue with the wildling warg. In that prologue, you could only shudder from the Others' terror.

In this season 2 finale, all I saw was a bunch of zombies in loose ranks, and I couldn't help thinking : if that's the major menace then all you need is a charge from some heavy cavalry and there you go, no more Beyond-the-Wall threat. Which is obviously not the case. Just the impression the series gave me. My fellow viewers which haven't read the books weren't impressed either (but they think the biggest thing to come is Daenerys, not the Others).

In dealing with the True North, I kind of expect mystery, suspense, terror, all of the which should be bathed in an aura of unknowingness.

This was just too crisp, too out in the open, too... flat.

I also understand the necessity of showing them to viewers and to create a cliffhanger. But the others aren't in the rink yet, not even in book 5... I think the expectations for non-readers are going to be a little too high now...

Sorry for my English, I'm French so :)

Great reading you all.

• 5 months later...

Did anyone think this was going to be a topic about which is the better adaptation? Anyone who thinks GoT is a terrible adaptation should probably read The Walking Dead then watch the show and be thankful we never got Ser T of House Dogg.

No, instead we got Lady Ros of House idontreallycare

• 3 weeks later...

The first of the White Riders didn't move on after looking directly at Sam. He just sat there.

It is entirely reasonable that he will go after Sam.

As for The Others not being a credible threat - well I still expect the FINAL battles to involve giants ("and WORSE than giants") versus dragons. I think that will be epic.

Archived