D and D appreciation thread . .

ServantOnIce

D+D are not chosen ones who are the only people that were able to make the show. The show could easily have fallen into more competent hands so saying that they're the only reason we have the show is just a ridiculous argument.

Yes protar. the show COULD have fallen into different hands. And those hands MIGHT - or might not - have given us a "better" adaption (meaning, it would seem, one that is more acceptable to your interpretation of things).

But all your "could have / might have / would have" arguments completely miss the point. None of those other (nameless) people actually DID anything about it, did they. You know, like see the books' potential as a TV series and get off their backsides to actually DO SOMETHING about pulling together proposals to give us a series. If all these people were are so wonderful and talented, and 'should' have brought the books to the screen, according to you, then why didn't they?

The fact is, they didn't - and D&D did. No one is suggesting that D&D are perfect in their work, or that everyone likes everything about the two seasons so far. What we are saying is that the good by far outweighs the bad, that this is monumental TV by any standards, and that instead of seemingly harping on all the negatives (alas, a trait from some posters on this board), we should be very grateful that D&D had the sheer guts, determination and vision to tackle these books and do all that has been necessary to bring them to us on the screen. They have lived with this project 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, 370 days a years for several years now: they have gathered an amazing array of talents in terms of both actors and production staff, and I think that overall, they have done a wonderful job and brought us a memorable series.

No, its not perfect. But it's all too easy to be negative and critical, and completely lose sight of the positives. Like many fans enjoy both books and the TV series, I am more than happy to live with this level of "imperfection" and acknowledge the many great aspects of the show. And for that, I thank D &D.

I think the HBO series is excellent as a TV series and an excellent adaptation of the books - which I have read multiple times. Kudos to D&D and I think it is silly to criticize them.

I appreciate the way they speed up certain story lines and hope they take some liberties in Season 3 to maybe change a few story lines. How about Catelyn not dying and just have her take over the outlaws after Dondarrian saves her instead of being UnCat? There are some things in the books that could be adapted differently. It keeps it interesting for those of us who know the books so well. I like surprises.

But of course the purists want only what GRRM wrote - give D&D come creative freedom as well. GRRM has.

[mod] Apparently some people do not know WTF an "appreciation" thread is. There are plenty of places on this board to debate the adaptation. This ain't one of them. Are we clear on this? Further derailing will result in bannings for those who cannot follow directions. Thank you. [/mod]

Agree with the OP

One thing some fans tend to do is get so attached to the books that they start treating like it's their intellectual property and seem to get downright offended when D and D don't adapt this the way they expected them to

Hate to say it, but even Elio and Linda seem to be guilty of this. To me, that's like setting yourself up to have no chance of anything but disappointment. All the while, the thing your disappointed in is one of the greatest things ever put on screen, so you're really just cheating yourself

• 3 months later...

Kudos to Dan and Dave! They've crafted an excellent adaptation of ASOIAF and one of the best TV shows ever. I love the design of the show, and for the most part, their casting has been phenoenal (especially the kids). Obviously the books are still the definitive version of the story, but the show is still an incredibly vivid and visceral take on the series. I love how each location in the show has its own style and colour. The actors all bring their characters to life (with special props to the actors behind Tyrion, Ned, Arya and Tywin).

Certainly there are aspects of the show I would like to have seen done better or differently, but overall, it's a very impressive interpretation of the story. D&D are obviously fans of the series, and faults aside, have done an amazing job of capturing the spirit of the books. And I love that they've let GRRM write and episode per season to keep them on the straight and narrow.

I honestly doubt many people here understand what a huge undertaking it is when filming a series/movie/other crap. Not only does it soaks up huge amounts of your time, but a bazillion things can and will go wrong, and when you're working from a script, it's even harder because you often want (and is often forced to) to make a ton of changes but then people give you flack over it.

Especially filming something taking place in a different timeperiod, I can barely imagine all the damn sets, costumes, weapons, armor, extras etc. etc.

They've done an amazing job from a technical standpoint, and I'm really happy their also very competent writers. Say what you will about the changes and unnecessary changes and whatnot, but know this, it could have been A LOT worse.

• 3 months later...

I honestly doubt many people here understand what a huge undertaking it is when filming a series/movie/other crap. Not only does it soaks up huge amounts of your time, but a bazillion things can and will go wrong, and when you're working from a script, it's even harder because you often want (and is often forced to) to make a ton of changes but then people give you flack over it.

Especially filming something taking place in a different timeperiod, I can barely imagine all the damn sets, costumes, weapons, armor, extras etc. etc.

They've done an amazing job from a technical standpoint, and I'm really happy their also very competent writers. Say what you will about the changes and unnecessary changes and whatnot, but know this, it could have been A LOT worse.

I agree. Folks need to give D and D love. They have a lot of jealous folks who are jealous they are making their dreams comes true . . . . I agree with you folks shouldn't D and D hate, they should appreciate and congratulate.

• 2 months later...

Loving the first 2 episodes so far dudes. This season could be the best one yet.

Totally agree! I am loving everything (or nearly everything) about this season. D&D have done a wonderful job of bringing it to life! Especially when some of the characters (from the books) don't really give them much to go on - Margaery is such an engaging character in the series.

Well done!

Oops. Looks like I've wandered into the wrong board room. Is the "D&D lack of appreciation" thread across the hall? lol

You and me, both! I popped into this thread because I thought the title read 'D&D Appreciation Thread.' Guess I was wrong. My bad.

Archived