D and D appreciation thread . .

ServantOnIce

He's way further ahead in his story then any of the other characters, like a whole book or two. I do get what your saying about the side character feel of him, I think it would be better if we saw more of him on a per episode basis but not much time spent on him, like a quick check in to see where he's at.

I think that would be counter productive.

I love Bran's story - as a side story. People are getting a bit 'tired' of his show story as it is 'He doesn't do anything except walk, walk, walk'. I see their point. They had Jon wandering about with a bewildered expression for the best part of 2 seasons. I don't think they will get away with it twice.

With Bran, I think less regular appearances showing the important stuff is better. This actually is a closer match to the books given his low number of chapters. Without the appearance of Coldhands, there is even less reason to have regular updates.

D&D have made many changes from the books, sometimes just a sentence or word change, that were totally unnecessary and different from the books. Much of this is reflected in the writing of show Stannis, cannibal Thenns, etc. Some of these changes are explainable in the change between book and TV, others feel more like D&D own personal ideas and feelings seeping into the story making it feel like fanfic of ASOIAF at moments.

I am thankful to see one of my favorite book series be on TV and all that, but that doesn't mean there aren't some problems that need to be addressed.

• 4 weeks later...

They shouldn't let their hated for a character effect their writing. no matter how much i don't like Renly, I wouldn't write Renly the personality of Ramsey or Joffrey. I would go by the book and include every importent thing he says. even though i like Stannis, i won't erase all the stupid stuff he does.

I guess I'm very rare in that I don't mind the changes and don't really care if they do change things.

I enjoy the show and appreciate what a massive undertaking it is and how much these two guys give of their lives just to entertain us.

Cheers!

Ah, now this is the thread I've been looking for since I joined these here forums!

Seriously, D&D have done an incredible job of adapting an absolutely "unadaptable" work of literature. I too think they have made mistakes (WHERE ARE MY DRAGONSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!) but even though not everything they've changed has been successful, I wouldn't ever say they've been irresponsible about making changes. Dany's story needed a change in S2, and viewers needed to see Theon in S3 and Bran this season. Not every effort has met with success (particularly Theon last season), but I think it would've been worse to just let those characters lie fallow for long periods of time.

And most of their changes have been successful. They've done a fantastic job of trimming the series enough to make it feasible as a tv series, because even though there may be a desire to see everything from the books adapted literally, I think even the most avid book purists would be surprised and disappointed by how lethargic that story would feel at times.

Like sj4iy, I've never had any problems whatsoever with the changes- I just like being part of the ride, and enjoying the things on the screen without comparing them to the books. I really appreciate the amazing work they have done in adapting a series that was started for the sole purpose of it being "too big for tv". The work they do in cutting out 95% of the writing in the books and still keeping the series make so much sense and be so good is extremely commendable.

GoT has become my favourite thing ever put on screen, and, in my opinion, has even surpassed the novels it was based upon :)

I guess I'm very rare in that I don't mind the changes and don't really care if they do change things.

I enjoy the show and appreciate what a massive undertaking it is and how much these two guys give of their lives just to entertain us.

Cheers!

:cheers: to that.

Like sj4iy, I've never had any problems whatsoever with the changes- I just like being part of the ride, and enjoying the things on the screen without comparing them to the books. I really appreciate the amazing work they have done in adapting a series that was started for the sole purpose of it being "too big for tv". The work they do in cutting out 95% of the writing in the books and still keeping the series make so much sense and be so good is extremely commendable.

GoT has become my favourite thing ever put on screen, and, in my opinion, has even surpassed the novels it was based upon :)

:cheers: also to this post.

I love the adaptation so far, the actors are for the most part brillant and very well chosen. The directing is outstanding, and the sets and visual effects are amazing.

Concerning the changes from the books, until now I don't mind them. Some were good ideas (like the meeting between Melisandre and Thoros), some were just meh.

The only thing I'm not okay with is Willas and Garlan Tyrell cut, but that's a detail.

But Season 5 will be a big challenge for D&D. And there might be some paths I will not agree. Especially if a certain "Kingsmoot" were to be cut...

Dropped in for support. They made some mistakes, but the fact that they are sticking to all the major developments from a book that was designed to be unadaptable and that they've gained so much success in it is proof enough that they have talent. I don't understand why some people get so angry at the deviations they make- all of them are closed-circle types that don't affect the overarching plot (which is what matters) and it's only a show after all. The fact that the books are better shouldn't detract from the show, not does it make the show deserving of some of the hate people have on this site.

It's a beautiful, epic piece of television- no show I have ever seen has matched their production values and their cast and the story (while not as good as the books) is still damn good because they pull all the essential bits from GRRM's source material. Clearly, people here are biased against it because they've read the books and follow them religiously (which is why it's harder for them to accept even the smaller deviations), so it's hard to take this community's opinions seriously when it comes to the show.

I say, you go D&D! I am still hoping for less Craster's Keep type of deals but I can enjoy that as well. The fact that they've even managed to convince HBO to go through with this complex and expensive show is admirable.

Well, they are tall for their age and don't seem sickly (I'm sorry if this lame attempt of a joke has already being made).

Hahahahaha!

Also shoutout to D&D for making the show because otherwise (unfortunately) I wouldn't have known about the books! I hadn't read anything since primary (elementary) school when I read Harry Potter and Narnia. Seriously, even in high school when there were novels to read I was like no thank you and managed to pass without doing so. So books simply not a part of my life until after season 3 of the show when I thought man I need some more of this WORLD.

Really they do a great job. I like to think I'm pretty open-minded to accepting changes and I'm very easily entertained so they really can't do tooooo much to upset me I think. Been watching the show with my dad lately and he's loving it too. They've made season 4 so awesome in my opinion thus far that I'm prepared to just keep watching the show with dad as it comes out even if it starts to overtake the books which was something I never thought I'd say after finishing them.

I have since the very beginning very much appreciated D&D's work, I love the show and I am grateful for what they do.

I have also stated several times that I do not mind most changes, considering that TV is a completely different media compared to books, where a producer has to face several types of constraints, the most significant being budget and time.

I am starting to get a bit bothered by people who, right after every episode, immediately start listing in details every single little diversion from the books, even the very minor ones, complaining that D&D are disrespectful towards every individual who has ever read the books. I mean, obviously is absolutely acceptable not being happy with some of the new material, but if somebody is outraged by everything, well, it makes me think that maybe they shouldn't just watch the show at all.

I have since the very beginning very much appreciated D&D's work, I love the show and I am grateful for what they do.

I have also stated several times that I do not mind most changes, considering that TV is a completely different media compared to books, where a producer has to face several types of constraints, the most significant being budget and time.

I am starting to get a bit bothered by people who, right after every episode, immediately start listing in details every single little diversion from the books, even the very minor ones, complaining that D&D are disrespectful towards every individual who has ever read the books. I mean, obviously is absolutely acceptable not being happy with some of the new material, but if somebody is outraged by everything, well, it makes me think that maybe they shouldn't just watch the show at all.

Nah. Whether they are watching the show out of love or hate, they are watching it. D & D are just laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh yeah. I imagine them at the pub with a pint laughing their asses off picturing a bunch of book purists having a seizure after the "your sister" line.

I don't get any money out of it and I'm laughing XD

Personally I am loving Game of Thrones but in season 4 I am slightly getting worried because Season 4 was expected to be the best season so far yet it isn't living up to the hype and I'm starting to get worried that D and D are starting to ruin it.

I feel this because it is guaranteed they aren't getting fired and will be making Money as Game of Thrones has smashed all records is now HBO's crown jewel. GOT is bringing in more viewers than any other show in history even beating out the sopranos this season.

This has created confidence yes but also eases the pressure for them as they no long as worried. This has caused them to no longer take this that seriously as they did with seasons 1-3.

I am getting worried and I think HBO should replace D and D if they don't keep it running well. No offence intended to anyone! I love D and D for bring GOT to our TV screens its just I feel they are going to start screwing stuff up now :'(

Archived