Sansa Lannister...again

Kittykatknits

There has been quite a bit of discussion over in the GOT section of this forum about the marriage between Tyrion and Sansa so it seems like a good time to start a new thread in order to avoid further derailing discussions about the TV show.

Advocates for the marriage to continue usually argue that it would be a strong conclusion for Sansa's story arc and could be a strong political marriage. Those who argue against it point out that Sansa does not want to be married to any Lannister and that the marriage would be a loss of agency for Sansa.

Despite these differences of opinion, we all seem to agree that the marriage as a plot point will play out one way or another. The way I see it, there are four ways their marriage can be resolved:

1. Either one or both character dies before the end of the books.

2. They are able to obtain an annulment.

3. They continue the marriage but are estranged.

4. Tyrion and Sansa agree to live as husband/wife and resume their marriage.

So what do you think will be the best ending for these two? Any projections?

One of them will die, and it will be Sansa. Tyrion is far more capable in surviving the game of thrones, and has more potential in the aftermath.

Whereas all Sansa can really be is someone's wife, and possibly the Lady of Winterfell, but only if Rickon does not come back and the Boltons are gone.

Maybe Sansa is somebody's Nissa Nissa?

I struggle to see where Martin is heading with this plot thread.

Other than shock value in Storm of Swords, I don't really see the purpose of this marriage.

Tyrion blocks Littlefinger's plans with Sansa in the Vale.

And the marriage is meaningless as far as Tyrion is concerned over in Essos.

I reckon the main reason Martin did it was to make Jon elligible to be named Robb's heir in his will, in the same way that he contrived to have Samwell Tarly not tell Jon about Bran being alive.

Martin needs Sansa for later in the series, but at the same time he needs Jon to be named as Robb's heir. And if Jon knows that Bran is alive, he would never accept that nomination.

In the same way Robb would not have named Jon if Sansa was not a Lannister.

I don't think the marriage has a future. The question just is, how will Sansa get out of it?

They are definitely going to end up together. Especially since Sansa really has nothing bad to day about Tyrion, besides his good looks. Tyrion always repected Sansa, and she will remember that after she kills Littlefinger, and Tyrion comes back with Daenerys. She will be the Lady of Casterly Rock.

It's a crap pairing in any other sense than politically; the two of them ending up together would be just awful.

It's a crap pairing politically too - it's yet another reason for animosity and division between the North and the Lannisters/Iron Throne. Those who say this marriage will help bring peace are fooling themselves.

I struggle to see where Martin is heading with this plot thread.

Other than shock value in Storm of Swords, I don't really see the purpose of this marriage.

Tyrion blocks Littlefinger's plans with Sansa in the Vale.

And the marriage is meaningless as far as Tyrion is concerned over in Essos.

I reckon the main reason Martin did it was to make Jon elligible to be named Robb's heir in his will, in the same way that he contrived to have Samwell Tarly not tell Jon about Bran being alive.

Martin needs Sansa for later in the series, but at the same time he needs Jon to be named as Robb's heir. And if Jon knows that Bran is alive, he would never accept that nomination.

In the same way Robb would not have named Jon if Sansa was not a Lannister.

I don't think the marriage has a future. The question just is, how will Sansa get out of it?

The million dollar question and I don't know the answer. I bolded one of your sentences as I think it is an important point. I think Martin did it in order to move the plot forward. The marriage provides Sansa some needed plot armor in the Vale so that LF can't use her for his purposes quite so easily. It gives them both a way to get out of KL and move their stories along and prods Robb to write his will. I have no idea what is in the will but I do think we will see it again.

It also drives characterization. We see Sansa at her lowest point in the entire series, the ONLY thing she is living for at that point is the knowledge that her escape is imminent. It also drives Tyrion even further in to the downwards spiral that we see further develop in Dance.

I don't think the marriage has a future either, I don't see how either character could ever be happy together. Tyrion was realizing this at the end himself.

The marriage will be anulled by the two parts willingly, or Tyrion will die at the end. I don't see any other possibility.

but they never consummated their marriage so i think it can be set aside with very little difficulty i think.

It's still a possibility that the marriage will be annulled. When I first read Storm, I was certain this would be the ending for the marriage. Then we met the High Seption in Feast and got to know him even better in Dance. At that point I became much less certain. My ideal scenario is that they mutually decide to end the marriage and seek an annulment.

It's a crap pairing in any other sense than politically; the two of them ending up together would be just awful.

It's a crap pairing politically too - it's yet another reason for animosity and division between the North and the Lannisters/Iron Throne. Those who say this marriage will help bring peace are fooling themselves.

I dont see it working from a political standpoint either. David Selig, I believe you have the right of it. Jaime's chapter in Dance tells the story of the Blackwoods and Brackens. They are two families who have tried to improve relations via marriage several times and it has never worked. I'd say that would apply to the Starks and Lannisters too.

We have also seen the situation in the North. Many Houses are going to war to rescue The Ned's "little girl". I don't see them accepting a Lannister dwarf, a professed kinslayer and kingslayer in WF. He would be dead in a week.

Well if we go by symbolism then Sansa may die, but then why spend all these years having her learn politics, and people skills and building up some steel ( albeit slowly ) if not to promote her forward for a different stage of Westeros development.

Tyrion may die, he may have grey scale, or he dies in battle or he annuls the marriage and goes looking for tysha.

The faith gets control of the government they keep the marriage intact, both are miserable and the realm suffers, or they make the best of it they rebuild Winterfell, but than like to see Sansa in the background some how totally screwing the Lannisters from ever getting a part of Winterfell.

How I like to see it, Sansa comes out on top, I think Tyrion , Sandor or both will die ( I know not Sandor ) but I'm ok with that as Sansa is many years younger and despite what she has in her face now she has a long future ahead to actually find the ONE!

Tyrion always repected Sansa, and she will remember that after she kills Littlefinger, and Tyrion comes back with Daenerys. She will be the Lady of Casterly Rock.

Tyrion did decidedly not respect Sansa as he thought she was a silly little airhead with her head full of songs throughout ASOS. Not once does he think she's clever or interesting, although he does think she is pretty.

I hope they stay alive and continue the marriage as most powerfull couple in the realm

Tyrion is a kingslayer and believed to be a kingslayer. Plus, he's almost universally reviled amongst the ruling class in Westeros. I'm curious how that would translate in to the two of them being a power couple.

Archived