Anyone read the Star Wars novels?

urrutiap

Currently reading Destiny's Way and its been a good book. I still need to hunt down the original trilogy novels like Crystal Star and The Lando Calrissian Adventures. Those and get all 6 of those Han Solo novels the old Han Solo trilogy and the last Han Solo Trilogy where he's younger yada yada.

Plus I love a few of the Prequel novels such as yoda Dark Rendezvous and Labyrinth of Evil

You should probably search for the Tie In thread, and learn about the hatred, and love that is thrown the way of the tie in novels. I for one think they are absolute dog shit. They shouldn't be marketed as books, rather things to wipe your fecal matter with.

Not read very many of them.

Thrawn trilogy was quite good.

IMO Star Wars has a very strong visual element and doesn't lend itself well to book form. Comics are great, I especially got into the KoToR series with Zayne Carrick and Jarael (who is awesome).

Yeah, the Thrawn books are the unofficial third trilogy that Lucas talked about but never made.

I read some others when I was younger. I don't remember much other than there being waaay too many bad guys with superweapons.

I have the vague memory of starting The Crystal Star years ago, but when I was 14-15 I read The Jedi Academy Trilogy, The Truce at Bakura, The Courtship of Princess Leia, Shadows of the Empire, and the first half of the Zahn trilogy (stopped half way through Dark Force Rising).

I have no idea if they'd hold up much at all now, but I did enjoy Bakura and Courtship as stand alone books. The Jedi Academy books were pretty fun and quick-paced, and Shadows was okay. I liked the game anyway...

But I didn't enjoy the Zahn trilogy. I got through Heir to the Empire but got bored in the second book while Mara Jade searched for Luke (very sloooowly) so I stopped. And I got through the Silmarillion at that time, so that is saying something...

You should probably search for the Tie In thread, and learn about the hatred, and love that is thrown the way of the tie in novels. I for one think they are absolute dog shit. They shouldn't be marketed as books, rather things to wipe your fecal matter with.

Stover's Revenge of the Sith versus Gemmell Award winners...who wins?

The only one I've read was very recently, the Darth Plagueis novel, it was pretty enjoyable.

I don't have very much interest in the purely Sci-Fi side of Star Wars, any novels that don't heavily involve the mystical side I'm not likely to find interesting enough to want to pick up.

When I was 13-15 I had al the X-wing series (first 4 were good but then got progressively similar) and remeber them being really good - and the theme being now as an adult I probably wouldn't bother reading them.

I was really into the flight sim games so it was easy to visualise a lot of it...but the super baddies and psuedo love stories I thought were pretty aweful, even as a youngun.

Still, I read a lot of good and bad novels growing up.

Still, I would think the series on a whole are good for young Star Wars boffins.

And, the Rogue squadron people were like frreakishly good/invincible, even in the face of stupid odds.

They should have killed more of them off, GRRM style!

don't know much about advertising, but this would be a terrible marketing strategy

When I was 13-15 I had al the X-wing series (first 4 were good but then got progressively similar) and remeber them being really good - and the theme being now as an adult I probably wouldn't bother reading them.

I was really into the flight sim games so it was easy to visualise a lot of it...but the super baddies and psuedo love stories I thought were pretty aweful, even as a youngun.

Still, I read a lot of good and bad novels growing up.

Still, I would think the series on a whole are good for young Star Wars boffins.

And, the Rogue squadron people were like frreakishly good/invincible, even in the face of stupid odds.

They should have killed more of them off, GRRM style!

In the GRRM version, Han definitely shot first.

You know i love me some Stover, and it breaks my heart that he has to write these fucking books to earn a living.

Maybe he is a fan? Maybe he wants to insert a bit more quality into something he loves? Maybe, just maybe, he even enjoys writing them?

Hell, Kearney wrote a Warhammer 4k story, not sure it payed his bills.

Read some of the books from the series with the invading masochists (don't remember their name, don't care to, couldn't spell it if I tried). I read the wookiepedia entries for the characters involved before I ever touched the books and, frankly, I feel the wookiepedia entries were the better of the two.

Thrawn trilogy were pretty good. The New Jedi Order series played with a lot of good ideas (especially beings that exist outside of the Force) but the authors were generally poor. I find it had to find really well-written science-fantasy.

Thrawn trilogy were pretty good. The New Jedi Order series played with a lot of good ideas (especially beings that exist outside of the Force) but the authors were generally poor. I find it had to find really well-written science-fantasy.

I assume by science fantasy you mean science fiction with a fantasy flavour?

There is quite a bit of this, that I consider well written and very enjoyable. Katherine Kerrs Snare is a good example, and a great book. The Coldfire Trilogy also, although that is more fantasy with a Sci Fi flavour.

I am sure that there are plenty of others I just cant think of them off the top of my head.

I just generally wouldnt look for them within tie-in fiction. (and I write that with the fear that I will be lumped in with all the dicking around that has been called Tie-in discussion around here recently)

The Republic Commando series is really good, and i've just finished reading Darth Plagueis by James Luceno. All Star Wars fans need to read that book, its brilliant and sheds SOOOO much light on Episode I and the events that followed and preceeded it.

The EU books that continue Luke, Han and Leia's story is a mixed bag for me. New Jedi Order is good but Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi, especially the latter, are awful. Fate of the Jedi used material from the abomination that is the Clone Wars cartoon, brought back characters that had no business being brought back, Daala and... well that's the only one, and the main villains were a bunch of hick Sith and a really crappy version of either a Lovecraftian Horror or a Chaos Daemon. And the romance sub-plot between Ben Skywalker and Vestara Khai was bungled and became disturbing in the penultimate novel.

LotN

Archived