Red Country - spoiler thread.

polishgenius

The latter is a pretty pointless question imo. A good book is a good book no matter whether its technically 'fantasy' or not.

All evidence both in-world and based on comments by Abercrombie himself point to a continuation of 'magic' anyhow. At least within the expected time frame of the next trilogy.

Midderland has always struck me as a vaguely Renaissance-ish place what with the fencing, the banks and the officers with their fancy military coats. So having cannons and guns makes a certain amount of sense and doesn't break my view of the setting at all.

I dont see anyone discussing Shy's Ghost lineage. This has been remarked upon many times in ARC.

Also, if someone remembers, in the beginning, when Lamb and Shy came to that bar in search of the three members from Cantliss' party, Crying Rock was staring at Shy only(instead of looking at the very obvious Lamb). I found this peculiar.

I'd have thought Crying Rock would have been staring at her purely becasue her paleness is also referenced a fair few times, which is an obvious ghost connection. I don't think Ghosts are particulalry popular locally or in villages and whatnot so to see one who could be of her own is probably quite rare? The appearance of big, burly men in Abercrombie's world is defiantely not all that rare, and crying rock seems very wisened, so I can't see she would be particularly bothered by Lamb.

And...the bloody nine being killed by something as mere as a bullet? Don't be silly!

Shy's Ghost lineage was, as her outlaw past was too, one of the things that gave promise at the beginning of the novel but didn't deliver at the end. I wonder if in the first drafts Joe had some developments in those aspects that were cut in later rewrites.

I don't even think that we know if her quarter of Ghost blood comes from her mother's or her father's side. In fact, we know next to nothing about her parents (or Pit and Ro's father, for that matter).

I don't even think that we know if her quarter of Ghost blood comes from her mother's or her father's side. In fact, we know next to nothing about her parents (or Pit and Ro's father, for that matter).

are Shy's parents and Pit and Ro's parents same or different ?

are Shy's parents and Pit and Ro's parents same or different ?

Different. There's this quote from Shy:

I ran off from the farm. Hated it there. Hated my bitch mother. Hated my bastard stepfather.

Lamb?

No the first one. My mother got through 'em.

Apparently her mother had several men. It's not even clear that Shy knows who his father was. During the novel I kept trying to guess who he was, thinking this would be an important plot develpoment.

At the begining of RC Lamb has been working in the farm for ten years, so interestingly before starting a relationship with Shy's mother he coexisted many years with Ro and Pit's father, who Shy hated (I assume they are one and the same because Shy says it's the first one, and she would have fled when she was 16 at least. At that time both Ro and Pit had been born).

Also, Shy remembers that Lamb had carried her when she fell off a roof. So she should be less than 10 years at that time. But she fled the farm when she would be ~ 16 years.

So either

1. Shy fled the farm when Lamb was there as well. This seems unlikely as IMO Lamb wouldnt have let her leave the farm.

2. Lamb left for some time when Shy would have been ~13 and returned when she came back at the farm , ~20 years. During which Ro and Pit are born. So he was absent for 5-6 years from the farm.

Also Shy remembers that she gave Lamb plenty of reasons to get mad and beat her (which he never did). This is typical teen behaviour.

I don't think Lamb would have stopped her at all. I remember him saying when she returned 'good to have you back', I personally would have imagined him letting her go. Logen (of which is essentially going to be Lamb's opinion also) IMO, would have seen her as leaving to grow as a person and from what we know of his principles he would never have stopped something such as this.

And...the bloody nine being killed by something as mere as a bullet? Don't be silly!

From the AMA :

Q :

Do you feel magic is over powered in your universe? For example, the Bloody Nine is an unstoppable force on the battlefield, but then look at a character like Shenkt or even the lesser eaters and it seems like they would crush the Bloody Nine without breaking a sweat. Possibly the greatest warrior in the universe seems like he might not have a chance against lesser magic beings.

A :

3) Do you feel nuclear weapons are overpowered in our world? I mean, it seems like even the best trained special forces guy would have little chance against a direct hit from a 50 megaton warhead. I suppose I'd say I'm not writing a gaming system in which it's necessary to balance one kind of character with another.

Yeah, i too hate JA for this .

Yeah, why would you hate me for it?

well, because it would be typical of your writing style to kill major characters with a random stray bullet in a pointless fight. A pointless waste, is all.

For Logen, i'd have thought that he had something different than others. So he would have some protection from Eaters/Magi. But no, he is just as weak as others. Makes me kinda sad.

well, because it would be typical of your writing style to kill major characters with a random stray bullet in a pointless fight. A pointless waste, is all.

For Logen, i'd have thought that he had something different than others. So he would have some protection from Eaters/Magi. But no, he is just as weak as others. Makes me kinda sad.

If he was the Bloody Nine, I don't think it would be as one-sided as you think. Eaters are very powerful, but they're not invincible, and the Bloody Nine was able to fight Fenris.

Archived