Rereading Tyrion III (ACOK)

Lummel

Hmmm, so Tyrion was "born" amidst smoke and salt under a bleeding star . . . .

quite, but then, who wasn't ;)

ETA:

Blisscraft said:

The absence of color in this chapter reminds me of some perverse "The Wizard of Oz" homage. I'm thinking of the 1939 film with Judy Garland which begins in "black and white" and once she passes "over the rainbow" courtesy of a very scary tornado, she finds herself in the land of Oz in full blown color. Later she discovers that her "trip" to Oz was only a dream.

That's pretty striking. Should we see this then as Tyrion in Kansas? This is the reality (even though it is a dream). The colour and the pageantry of the Knights of the summer is the fantasy a kind of Plato's cave?

ETA2:

Butterbumps! said:

I think there's a lot more to analyze from this to the chapter "hinge" point where he wakes and reacts to the news of his father's presence and assumption of the Hand position, but I'll leave it here for now.

If this is a period of catharsis, mediation and the blank slate then perhaps that could be the driver for the big question up coming in the next chapter...

Tyrion in Kansas? A strange, but intriguing thought.

One of the popular literary theories, (back-in-the-day) was the "American Dream vs. American Nightmare." A very popular means of analysis for the oldies, but goodies in US literature, including but not limited to Fitzgerald, Hemingway and Faulkner. Martin, as an "American writer" seems to be playing with this idea of dream/nightmare in this chapter. I'm sure you are familiar with this theory, but just to be clear, it's the notion that one must be careful what one wishes for because one just might get it. In Tyrion's case, it may mean, if you wish to play the game of thrones . . . You get the idea. . .

This chapter also reminds me of Roethke's poem, "The Waking."

<snip>

The absence of a colour palate does link the Sansa and the Tyrion scenes. But like you say they are also opposites. One is constructive and creative the other the consequences of destruction. There is an odd link with the last Bran chapter in ACOK - Bran emerging from the ruins of Winterfell but seeing the potential for rebuilding.<snip>

This is not odd at all, I think, but intentional. I wanted to reply, but lost it, to your remark about the fog in Tyrion VIII, that this chapter was preceded by Bran´s dream about the sea taking Winterfell so it´s probably not wrong to attribute characteristics of a living creature to a natural phenomenon and Martin´s pathos is not unfounded. I think Martin quite often connects the the different POVs in such a subtle way.

Blisscraft, I love the "Wizard of Oz" comparison. I learned, as Lummel sugested, that the colour part of the movie was the escapist dream / fairytale in the aftermath of the great depression.

Like Dorothy Tyrion chooses go home to his family, there is no place like home, there is no place like home, there is no place like home. And despite all the Lannister wealth his home is more depressing than storm-ridden Kansas.

I´m afraid that Tyrion, just like the lion needed a certificate of valor - the medal - ,needs approval. I really do understand that he needs it, but I think he needs an unhealthy amount of it.

Tyrions inability to speak I see as symbism of his power loss and that is the sad thing, that he believes his power lies solely in his being a Lannister (the little mermaid that has to give up speach when she leaves the ocean) and when his father takes it away from him he blames the woman - Cersei -, just as he blamed Lysa before, for being framed by Lttlefinger. Does he demand unconditional motherly love from them? "Shae, Tysha, mother!"

And I don´t think that Tywin removed Tyrion from power out of spite, but for "A lord mustn´t let sentiment get in the way of ambition". Tyrion was the perfect tool to do this risky job, capable but easy to blame if things go wrong, he´s not perfect to take the credit however, since his appearance sadly is cause for suspicion amongst the small folk.

Something approaching a recap of Tyrion in AGOT and ACOK is given the longest of subtitles:

Herewith an attempt to herd the wandering chapters and grazing observations on Tyrion in AGOT and ACOK into a flock before we open the gate to feast on ASOS as crookedly compiled by myself not all ideas are credited to their originators which is not intended as a slight but simply reflects the failings of my memory driven madder no doubt by listening to this.

First things second

This is a reread thread. It is not a praise or a hate thread. The implicit assumption is that the book is something artificial. It has been constructed by GRRM. In short it is meaningful to analyse it. The use of names, foods, colours, textures the establishment of mood or emotional response can be assumed to be deliberate and the result of choice, although as with Renly's eyes, not necessarily always careful choice! ;).

Formal approaches, comparisons, information from interviews are all as welcome as personal responses. It can all go into the thread.

Briefest of overviews

During AGOT we travel with Tyrion from Winterfell, to the Wall, to the Eyrie, the Greenfork and into the Riverlands. Then in ACOK Tyrion is fixed in Kings Landing. Despite which his thoughts return to Winterfell from time to time as Ragnorak has observed.

So. What is this all about? What is the point? What is a Tyrion? Three possible answers, perhaps there are others: ASOIAF is in part about Tyrion's development and his story is central to the saga, ASOIAF is a chorus of many voices that of Tyrion is there to add contrast and fill out the sound but his story is not central to the overall saga, the POV structure means that we need characters to be in certain places so we can see the story unfold and Tyrion is simply a convenient set of eyes for GRRM to use.

Some themes to spark off the memory and to whet the appetite

In two minds about Tyrion

Many of us have played about with seeing two sides to Tyrion's nature one one sympathetic to the reader and one less so. We have had Tyrion the Lannister, Tyrion the outsider, feelings of privilege and of inferiority, Tyrion the man, the dwarf and the Imp. And more besides...

In could of course also be in two minds about himself – remember his awkwardness about more tender, or gentler emotional responses to other people.

Tyrion the messenger

During AGOT and ACOK Tyrion has frequently carried messages for other people or has been a message himself. This suggests that he was something of a go between or a place holder. If so does this tell us something about his role in the saga as a whole? Is it something that we will see change in the next book?

What's for dinner

I still think that Tyrion has the most references to eating of all the POV characters, although the meals seem to have disappeared from the last few chapters of ACOK. While individual dishes seem to have there own symbolism generally the business of eating seems to tell us something about the relationship of the people in the room. But from memory there are one or two significant meals for us to feast on in ASOS.

Meanwhile down in the library

We got off to a good start with Tyrion reading in the first two chapters, unfortunately there have been no books since then. However Tyrion has been strongly established as a literate and educated person.

Colours

Red and gold, green and black. Possibly the contrast between the Lannister colours and his own devilishly coloured eyes takes us back to the idea of duality in Tyrion's character but the colours have come up in other contexts too. Its a very rich and vivid selection which will come to contrast with the colour drained Lancel and Jaime in ASOS and has contrasted with Tyrion's dream after the battle of the Blackwater.

The man himself

Tyrion ends ACOK looking at himself in the mirror but it has been others who have given us the unflinching descriptions of his ugliness. Similarly there is a difference to his behaviour in other POVs and his own

Values

We have returned frequently to the limits of what you can buy with gold, the desire for a Stark type loyalty, Tywin's display of majesty and might as part of the way that he earns obedience and that Tyrion can inspire loyalty but doesn't seen to either recognise or trust his own ability to do so. But lets us never forget that a Lannister always pays their debts and that their moral compass always points to Casterly Rock!

Women

The Tysha story is told twice, once to Bronn and once to Shae. Butterbumps! has threatened to lead on a discussion of Shae so I'll leave that...

Riddles

Three riddles to bear in mind. Varys' riddle about power and where it resides. The sphinxes, Tyrion isn't club-footed but in his in an Oedipal myth with a twist, instead of killing his father he has in pure Freudian internalised Tywin's values. Apologises for the foreshadowing. Finally linking back to the idea of duality and maybe also the issue of the nature of Tyrion's story in ASOIAF there is the well, more of a challenge than a riddle, of the development of his personality and if he can succeed in reconciling the different aspects.

Father and children

A core issue and set to continue is the competition between Tyrion and Cersei and the dynamic between the children and the father. The family is sacred. It must be defended against outsiders. No Lannister is to be betrayed to or abandoned to an outsider. But within the nuclear family the relationships are unstable and hostile, we saw in ACOK a constant jockeying for power and felt in AGOT the looming presence of Tywin long before we met him. Is the key to the destructive intra-family dynamic the absence of a mother, the privileged position of Jaime or the glittering prize of Casterly Rock?

Blisscraft - you want a reread of all the POVs in ASOIAF? **clutches heart and dies**

ETA: Bother, forgot my idea about Tyrion's last chapters in each book...nevermind. So, what have I forgotten? What is important for us to remember, look out for and comment on once we start on ASOS in the next couple of days? :)

One of the things that stood out for me on this reread is how much less sympathetic Tyrion came across than in my prior readings. I think our skipping the other POVs where he comes up is the reason. In GoT Tyrion comes across in a very positive light in Jon and Bran's POVs especially with the gift to Bran of the special saddle. All of Bran's joy of riding also ties back to Tyrion's gift. In CoK he is always a positive in Sansa's chapters by stopping some ongoing abuse she is enduring. I suppose the end result is that Tyrion is at his ugliest when he looks in the mirror.

We first see Tyrion earn respect from Jon in a mix of both of their POVs. He then earns a small degree of respect from Bran and Robb in Bran's POV. He earns some tentative respect from Cat in a combination of their POV's in GoT. With Cat he initially uses the line "on my honor as a Lannister" which she scoffs at. Eventually, when Cat frees Jaime (another event outside his POV) she does so because she has actually come to trust his honor as a Lannister. By the end of SoS Sansa will reflect that Tyrion was kind? and she comes to appreciate Tyrion to a degree now that she is removed from Lannister captivity (though not without a good deal of reservation.) Outside of Ned, Arya, and Rickon we have Tyrion earning some measure of respect from all the Starks. Almost all of this happens outside his POV and I'm wondering if we missed something by not including those. One duality with Tyrion is how he sees himself and how others see him. Maybe there is something to this based on his treatment in other POVs. I'm not sure including all of that would have been practical for a reread but I noticed it so I'm throwing it out there for consideration.

<snip>

Father and children

<snip>

I think the key to the destruction of the Lannisters are Tywin´s attempts to prevent just that, as in my understanding of the Oedipus myth, where by trying to prevent a prophecy it´s fullfillment is helped along. We will see this much clearer from Feast onwards.

(I really dislike that Freud gave this name to part of his psychoanalytical theory, or probably just that it is what most people think of when hearing the name Oedipus.)

Tywin´s rejection of sentiment blinds him to the fact that Jaime has no ambition to become lord of Casterly Rock and doesn´t feel compelled to do it out of duty either. He also doesn´t see that Cersei will not be satisfied with being an asset in his marriage plans, though she seems quite eager to become a "Dragon-Queen" at first, she always wanted power in her own right probably even absolute power.

He sees Tyrion as danger to House Lannister, should he ever have to represent it. I´m not sure wether it´s about his appearance or that he was reminded of his own "weak" father by Tyrion´s "romantic" marriage to Tysha, but when Tyrion was born he gave him a proud Lannister Name defying the gods who gave him a disfigured son as punishment for his ambition.

He doesn´t see Tyrion´s need for a parent to show him acceptance in another way than supplying for him.

He also didn´t see the great gifts (reminiscent of Laidronette as described in Milady of York´s post in the PtP thread)Tyrion had would perfectly complement Cersei´s ability to represent and inspire love and admiration and consequently failed to prepare them to work together for the benefit of House Lannister hand in hand, just as Tyrion´s chain of office so nicely sugests.

Lummel, I want to present you with another find from the PtP thread by Bgona, which describes pretty accurately my negative feelings towards Tyrion, though these only took form after Dance. I think you´ll like it so if it´s premature you´re the best to keep it save. :)

, "Lyrics"

Tyrion is to me the second most controversial character after Arya, I love them both a lot but I´m deeply disturbed by their arc to a lesser degree this is also true for all other characters.

grammar

Thank you, Lykos ( for the post and the links) I am a HUUGE Fischer-Dieskau fan (the best baritone ever!) but I did not know this recording.

Btw I love this thread, even if I do not agree with every single sentence. I am awed by you all and a bit shy to contribute since in English I cannot come over as differenciated as I would like.

Bravo! Lummel. However, stop with the Yalies immediately. My spouse attended and graduted from Yale as an English Major. It's a fate worse than death (or an entire POV reread :uhoh: ). Please don't die. It would make me too sad. :crying:

Ragnorak, I agree with your observation regarding Tyrion's "sympathy" factor. The Starks (the ones who have contact with Tyrion) seem to like him. He has a knack for destroying prejudgment. It's as if he uses every possibly avenue to move away from Lannister stereotypes. He is thoughtful and kind. Whereas, once we, as readers get inside his head he can really live up to a meaning of the word "imp," (a little devil, note - I did not say twisted demon monkey). :devil:

Lykos, I agree with you about the "dark" turn Tyrion takes. I suppose it's there all along, as Ragnorak suggests above, but as with Arya, I feel a need for a little "willful blindness" and perhaps a very sentitmental and vain hope that somehow their turns in ultimate form will be circles and they will both "return to where [they] started and know that place for the first time." Nods to Eliot.

Woman of War, you amaze me. I could never, ever, in a million years, attempt to communicate with anyone in another language. I am hopelessly Okie speaking (Okie is shorthand for the State of Oklahoma). Don't worry if you have never heard of it. Many people in the US have never heard of it. And yes, we have our own "form" of language. Often it includes grunts and rude noises that thankfully no one can hear through the web. The smell may be a different matter altogether. . . :stillsick:

One of the things that stood out for me on this reread is how much less sympathetic Tyrion came across than in my prior readings. I think our skipping the other POVs where he comes up is the reason...

I am not so sure, I'm more in the camp that Tyrion seems less sympathetic because after ADWD we slowly realise he is less sympathetic! We can put the saddle and saving Sansa on one side of the scales but the deeds in the other pan are just that much heavier. Possibly there is also a reread effect, if you read from cover to cover then you are comparing for example shadow babies with antler men then Tyrion can look more sympathetic by contrast, also of course we know where he ends up. We are reading backwards and looking for the signs of the darker side of his nature too.

I think the key to the destruction of the Lannisters are Tywin´s attempts to prevent just that, as in my understanding of the Oedipus myth, where by trying to prevent a prophecy it´s fullfillment is helped along. We will see this much clearer from Feast onwards.

(I really dislike that Freud gave this name to part of his psychoanalytical theory, or probably just that it is what most people think of when hearing the name Oedipus.)

It works well both ways for me. Tyrion is a very Freudian character, he seems to be internalising the values of the father as a way of identifying with him and the mother Joanna always seems to be between them. It's an old story that trying to prevent something brings it about, I do wonder if many (or all) of teh prophecies in GRRM work like that and become self-fulfiling.

Tywin´s rejection of sentiment blinds him to the fact that Jaime has no ambition to become lord of Casterly Rock and doesn´t feel compelled to do it out of duty either. He also doesn´t see that Cersei will not be satisfied with being an asset in his marriage plans, though she seems quite eager to become a "Dragon-Queen" at first, she always wanted power in her own right probably even absolute power.

He sees Tyrion as danger to House Lannister, should he ever have to represent it. I´m not sure wether it´s about his appearance or that he was reminded of his own "weak" father by Tyrion´s "romantic" marriage to Tysha, but when Tyrion was born he gave him a proud Lannister Name defying the gods who gave him a disfigured son as punishment for his ambition.

Hubris? That really would be something to add to the folk tale motives.

He doesn´t see Tyrion´s need for a parent to show him acceptance in another way than supplying for him.

He also didn´t see the great gifts (reminiscent of Laidronette as described in Milady of York´s post in the PtP thread)Tyrion had would perfectly complement Cersei´s ability to represent and inspire love and admiration and consequently failed to prepare them to work together for the benefit of House Lannister hand in hand, just as Tyrion´s chain of office so nicely sugests.

I agree, Tywin seems rather Joffrey like - happy to see his children fight it out amongst themselves.

Lummel, I want to present you with another find from the PtP thread by Bgona, which describes pretty accurately my negative feelings towards Tyrion, though these only took form after Dance. I think you´ll like it so if it´s premature you´re the best to keep it save. :)

, "Lyrics"...

You win the prize for the most appropriate use of music to support an argument I think! Post the link to what Bgona wrote, unless you are going to remember to link to it later on :)

Thank you, Lykos ( for the post and the links) I am a HUUGE Fischer-Dieskau fan (the best baritone ever!) but I did not know this recording.

Btw I love this thread, even if I do not agree with every single sentence. I am awed by you all and a bit shy to contribute since in English I cannot come over as differenciated as I would like.

I am really glad that you enjoy the thread. That's the point, that myself Ragnorak and Butterbumps! host it so that anybody else can enjoy it, spark off some ideas and maybe be a little bit provoking. Looking at some other threads I rather wish some other people had been reading too :laugh:

and I don't agree with everything either - not even everything that I write!

...Lykos, I agree with you about the "dark" turn Tyrion takes. I suppose it's there all along, as Ragnorak suggests above, but as with Arya, I feel a need for a little "willful blindness" and perhaps a very sentitmental and vain hope that somehow their turns in ultimate form will be circles and they will both "return to where [they] started and know that place for the first time." Nods to Eliot...

Too late Blisscraft, I listened to the whole lecture course and am now insaner than I was before. Oh well. Anyhow...

I think this is a big issue that you raise there - it's the what is it all about question, there is also the question of where you / one thinks that they start from. I'm not so sure that Tyrion starts from such a nice place in the first place. If he is on the road to Casterly Rock then perhaps the question is if he is only going to step into Tywin's shoes or become another Tywin.

I am not so sure, I'm more in the camp that Tyrion seems less sympathetic because after ADWD we slowly realise he is less sympathetic! We can put the saddle and saving Sansa on one side of the scales but the deeds in the other pan are just that much heavier. Possibly there is also a reread effect, if you read from cover to cover then you are comparing for example shadow babies with antler men then Tyrion can look more sympathetic by contrast, also of course we know where he ends up. We are reading backwards and looking for the signs of the darker side of his nature too.

<snip>

You are correct, there are many other factors. Cersei is set up as the straw master villain and Tyrion is waging a campaign of opposition against her which on a first read has huge sympathy factors. Now we know who the master villains are and Tyrion's war on Cersei comes across as a bit less wise and the luster is gone from his perceived brilliance.

Still, Tyrion's emotional state is only so much of a condemnation or redemption relative to his actions. Tyrion's inner dialogue about Marillion is defined by his deliberate finger breaking the same way his thoughts of paying Lady Stark back are defined by his choice to attack the clansmen going after her. Over the course of CoK his actions towards Sansa are among if not his most redeeming and none of them are in his own POV. I had remembered these positive episodes and was anticipating them only to discover no trace of them in his own chapters.

Yes I think it was really interesting that GRRM decided not to show those details from Tyrion's POV. What does this mean? Are those moments unimportant to Tyrion? Not his main focus? Would he have been cynical about those actions or overtly political? He's diffident about his own more tender emotions - is removing them altogether from his POV the ultimate in his awkwardness about being nice!

ETA Bah! Spelling.

Lummel, bgona´s post, which was either inspired by this post or we need to invite Milady of York in person to join us.

Hubris, yes another one of those words where the meaning has to be defined first, but I think you´re actually right and it´s quite simple - Martin aplied it in more than one way. I don´t know about gods though, since they´re only real in the perception of believers and I think neither the Lannisters nor Martin can be counted amongst those.

Looking at the Ancient Greek origin in the english wiki, I glimpse for the first time some reason in the gruesomeness of the Tysha story, which irritated me a lot. In the german wiki homer is said to use it in a way that reminded me very much of the Mountain and the ravaging of the riverlands, I think I´ll have to come back to that.

I also have more greek history concerning Tyrion´s name as well as his duality and the battle of the Blackwater and I want to say something about Tysha, but I think I can´t wait till the story is told the third time.

Blisscraft, but you´re not from Muskogee, are you? See, Oakies are world famous.

Woman of War, if you are shy, I am shyer. I really love to read how you express your feelings in english. I just state facts and quote and link stuff not really daring to explain what I mean by it, if it weren´t for Lummel I´d be as voiceless as Tyrion.

(Lummel, I miss Uncat by the way his typing errors and praising me for theories I didn´t make really were encouraging)

gotta catch some sleep.

A couple books in but it's time to insert myself in to the re-read.

If we go back to the previous chapters when we were discussing the idea that Tyrion was being reborn in the smoke and salt of the battle then in this chapter he is a new born baby. He soils himself (twice). He has to be fed - with milk. He can't speak. He wants his mother. In a interesting/disturbing twist his concubine becomes a maternal figure figure for him - maybe that's why she represents safety and security for him, I think words to that effect are used a couple of times in describing his times with Shae. Then he goes through the final part of an Oedipal development - seeking and desiring his father's approval in a dream.

All of which contrasts with a reality in which Renly's ghost has beaten Stannis' army and Tywin has replaced Tyrion as Hand.

I'm wondering if there is a pattern, or a trend in the last chapters that Tyrion has in each book?

I never picked up on the newborn baby imagery before but now it stands out to me and I wonder what Martin meant by this. Often, rebirth or newborn imagery points to a significant character change, the individual is being remade in to something new, whether for good or bad. I wonder what Martin is telling us with Tyrion's character here? In GOT, he seemed to be largely a man of leisure, accompanying his sibling to WF and then heading to the Wall. His final chapter changes that as he sheds that old identity and prepares to don a new one as Hand.

A newborn's world is very limited, vision is fuzzy so he is dependent upon a mix of instinct, sound, smell and touch. Comfort comes in the form of mother and her breast, it's literally the first attachment a child will make. Yet, Tyrion as a new born child is denied this. His mother is forever lost and Shae can only provide an illusion. Also, just like a newborn, Tyrion is waking up in to a new world. He's been moved, his father is Hand, all he has built up is gone. So, in essence, he is starting anew all over again.

So, now his old identity as Hand is gone once again. As we move in to the next book, I'm curious to see what the re-read tells us about Tyrion and the identity he begins to create for himself. Is it Tywin come again, does he permanently embrace the monster inside, or does he grow in to something uniquely himself?

<snip>

I think this is a big issue that you raise there - it's the what is it all about question, there is also the question of where you / one thinks that they start from. I'm not so sure that Tyrion starts from such a nice place in the first place. If he is on the road to Casterly Rock then perhaps the question is if he is only going to step into Tywin's shoes or become another Tywin.

I'm in the same camp as you. It wasn't apparent on my first read through of the series, which was more superficial than I care to admit. It was during a subsequent pass that I could step back and question what I was reading on the pages. My take is that Tyrion has always been less sympathetic than we realize, the change is not him but the circumstances he finds himself in. In one of his first chapters, he takes a fur from Benjen to keep warm but his thoughts about it are so very Lannister-like.It's a minor matter yet it tells us just how much his path leads him to CR. Again in the Vale, he brings the fingers of Marillion. In this series, that doesn't particularly stand out as a horrible crime yet its the same thing we saw earlier, just with slightly bigger stakes. And so on through Clash during his time as Hand as he clashes (see what I did there?) with his sister, LF, Joffrey, and others.

To go back to the newborn symbolism, I think, ultimately, we are still waiting to find out what Tyrion grows up to be, whether that moral compass changes direction or not.

One thing about the "rebirth" imagery in this chapter is that it can/could/will give rise to a "real" monster. In the beginning, Tyrion seems a man "more sinned against than sinning." The fact that he is "deformed, unfinished, sent before [his] time into this breathing world, scarce half made up, and so lamely and unfashionable that dogs bark at [him] as [he] halts by them---" creates a lot of sympathy. His "first" birth causes the death of his mother and yet, how is that really his "fault," but most of his family still balmes him for her death. What will this rebirth cause? Will it be his fault, too?

One thing about the "rebirth" imagery in this chapter is that it can/could/will give rise to a "real" monster. In the beginning, Tyrion seems a man "more sinned against than sinning." The fact that he is "deformed, unfinished, sent before [his] time into this breathing world, scarce half made up, and so lamely and unfashionable that dogs bark at [him] as [he] halts by them---" creates a lot of sympathy. His "first" birth causes the death of his mother and yet, how is that really his "fault," but most of his family still balmes him for her death. What will this rebirth cause? Will it be his fault, too?

Well I've got an idea of what the rebirth leads to...more on that in the next chapter post ;)

But since you mention King Lear, I wonder if we can see Tywin as a Lear with Tyrion as his Cordelia?

But anyway it falls to me to announce that Tyrion IV (ASOS) is now open with the first chapter open for your consideration.

A big thank you to everybody who has posted :cheers:

And I hope that everybody who lurks has found the reread enjoyable and interesting. Don't be shy to comment if something you have read has changed your mind, sparked off an idea or added something to what you think about the character of Tyrion and the story!

ETA spelling and the link

Archived