Why do people think show Robb is so different from book Robb? possible spoilers!

The Hound of Ulster

he may have come to love her but he married her the next day or so after sleeping with her. that was for her honor unless you believe robb experienced love at first sight and couldn't dream of living without her after their first night of intimacy.

Have you read the part where the books explain that she was nursing him when he was laying wounded? That took some weeks. I do not believe in love at first sight at all, but I do believe that he had nothing special to do during this time apart from talking to his nurse and that is the time he fell in love with her.

I do not think he would have minded her honour that much if he had not cared about her at least a little.

George solved any issues by keeping the courtship off-screen. D+D wouldn't/couldn't do that, specially since they have given Robb greater importance.

This is one of many, many, many instances where I think people are overreaacting to changes.

he was a dead man walking for grrm so it seems as if he didn't see the need to write about the why. only the what and the effect it had on him.

Overreacting is my Rhllor given right as a book reader!! lol

The words you seek are "Overreacting is mine by right." ;)

he was a dead man walking for grrm so it seems as if he didn't see the need to write about the why. only the what and the effect it had on him.

The fact that a person does not have his own POV does not mean they are not important. Personally, I find it fascinating by how much GRRM was able to tell about a character that shows on page so little. Robb was a multi-layered character with his own story, not just a plot device.

The fact that a person does not have his own POV does not mean they are not important. Personally, I find it fascinating by how much GRRM was able to tell about a character that shows on page so little. Robb was a multi-layered character with his own story, not just a plot device.

it's jeyne that i am calling a plot device. she has had not character development other than shape shifting.

it's jeyne that i am calling a plot device. she has had not character development other than shape shifting.

That is true. We learn something about her character, but not too much.

Shape shifting as in the hips discrepancy?

Have you read the part where the books explain that she was nursing him when he was laying wounded? That took some weeks. I do not believe in love at first sight at all, but I do believe that he had nothing special to do during this time apart from talking to his nurse and that is the time he fell in love with her.

I do not think he would have minded her honour that much if he had not cared about her at least a little.

If I remember right it was an arrow wound that refused to heal. I remember when I first read that I was thinking they were poisoning him.

I took an arrow in the arm just before Ser Rolph yielded us the castle. It seemed nothing at first, but it festered. Jeyne had me taken to her own bed, and she nursed me until the fever passed.

Did HBO give an explanation for this?

I believe HBO made Robb fall for a foreigner from Volantis so as to further justify the red wedding. I bet Lord Walder would laugh and say something along the lines: "You couldn't even marry that retarded ho Theon Fuckd on the ship. Why, you had to pick a volantene over mine daughter...have at him already, the wolf pup is depressing."

More believable?

- A noble foreign woman going around battlefields without getting killed or raped

- Robb being turned on by her sawing off a man's leg

- Her being allowed to enter his tent at all times, Roose Bolton (you know, Roose Bolton!) backing out of the tent without a word in the middle of a war council every time she enters

- A woman being allowed to talk cheekily to the king without repercussions at all

:rolleyes: Believable and realistic indeed.

Yes, this. In the show, we still saw Sansa placed in an arranged marriage in the very first episode, Arya still got the talk from her father about how she would one day give birth to sons who could be knights or the HS, and Cersei's talk on what it really means to be a woman. Yet, for some reason, with no explanation, we also got Dr. Talisa, Modern Medicine Woman who rails against the horrors of slavery, lectures the king, and walk around with no threat on battle fields. This does not match with the numerous references in the books that tell us what happens with soliders who have their blood lust up after fighting. Something here is not like the others. Apart from the books, it also negates some of the themes that are being explored within the show.

The difference b/w book Jeyne and show Talisa might have been made to make it easier to believe how mad Walder Frey is going to be. "You mean he broke his vow and married a FOREIGNER?"

That makes it more believable for him to be so pissed about the betrayal. It's simpler than explaining to the audience who Jeyne's family is and where they come from. The whole Spicer/Westerling possible plotting behind all of it will be too complicated for the audience, IMO. The producers have already had to simplify lots of things and this is just another example. I didn't have anything against Robb and Talisa.

dn

I think the change went like this: In the books, Robb goes pretty much "Oh hai, I broke my marriage contract with the Freys and married some other girl. By the way, she is the daughter of a Lannister bannerman". Given that the show has a greater focus on Robb, they couldn't do that; they had to show the courtship. At some point, they thought that him opening up to the daughter of a Lannister bannerman would be stupid, so they changed the character.

Yes, Jeyne is little more than a plot device to enable the Red Wedding, but changing characters creates the possibility of some loose ends, I think.

Robb in the books always felt, to me, like his achievements was made all the bigger when you remember his age. He's barely into his teens and is leading armys, making amazing tactical descisions and winning battles. He outsmarts Tywin in GoTs, which is no mean feat at all.

TV Robb is older, perhaps unrealistically so for a series where people are married/berothed at a much younger age (Sansa/Joffrey) and looking back I wonder why someone his age in the show wouldnt have been married off and moved out by then. Anyway, at the age of TV Robb, its more likely and less shocking he can win battles and fight to gain his achievments and recognition, and less forgiving for making the choice he does in marrying Jeyne/whateverhernameis as someone of his age would presumably know better.

Again, I reckon that HBO have made him a larger part of the narrative knowing what happens and its purely to make the RW a much bigger shock to the audience, a main character killed off (with his main character mother and their friends) but the focus will be on Robb dying and not that its seen from Cats PoV.

If I remember right it was an arrow wound that refused to heal. I remember when I first read that I was thinking they were poisoning him.

I took an arrow in the arm just before Ser Rolph yielded us the castle. It seemed nothing at first, but it festered. Jeyne had me taken to her own bed, and she nursed me until the fever passed.

Who do you think was poisoning him? His own men that probably guarded him, the sweet girl falling in love with him that later went on to ask his mother what to do to help him through the hard times, or random servants under the instructions of Lady Westerling (I find that one the most likely)?

and how long is that? a day or three? weeks? was he deliriously feverish? was he just a little warm and able to sit up, sip broth made from the sweat of jeyne's brow and engage in witty conversation with her so he could fall in love?

sorry but this is a weak excuse for love, imho.

Yes, this. In the show, we still saw Sansa placed in an arranged marriage in the very first episode, Arya still got the talk from her father about how she would one day give birth to sons who could be knights or the HS, and Cersei's talk on what it really means to be a woman. Yet, for some reason, with no explanation, we also got Dr. Talisa, Modern Medicine Woman who rails against the horrors of slavery, lectures the king, and walk around with no threat on battle fields. This does not match with the numerous references in the books that tell us what happens with soliders who have their blood lust up after fighting. Something here is not like the others. Apart from the books, it also negates some of the themes that are being explored within the show.

More or less. Like i said in another thread, i met Talisa before reading the books, and i immediately assumed she was a Lannister spy. When i found out there is really no Talisa, i was like "why did they change this?" They could have included Jeyne and shown their courtship as well. They could have shown Robb take a arrow to the knee wound and have her nurse him back to health and even expand a bit on how and why they fell in love.

The difference b/w book Jeyne and show Talisa might have been made to make it easier to believe how mad Walder Frey is going to be. "You mean he broke his vow and married a FOREIGNER?"

That makes it more believable for him to be so pissed about the betrayal. It's simpler than explaining to the audience who Jeyne's family is and where they come from. The whole Spicer/Westerling possible plotting behind all of it will be too complicated for the audience, IMO. The producers have already had to simplify lots of things and this is just another example. I didn't have anything against Robb and Talisa.

dn

So instead of explaining who the Westerlings are they chose to explain the social system of Volantis (which the viewers do not even know where it is, is it in Westeros, why should we care about some place far away that a side character comes from) - that minimised the needed explaining?

and how long is that? a day or three? weeks? was he deliriously feverish? was he just a little warm and able to sit up, sip broth made from the sweat of jeyne's brow and engage in witty conversation with her so he could fall in love?

sorry but this is a weak excuse for love, imho.

Really? I find it likely that a person would fall in love under such circumstances, just because people fall in love in most different circumstances and cannot really explain why. I do not see how it makes for a weak story.

More or less. Like i said in another thread, i met Talisa before reading the books, and i immediately assumed she was a Lannister spy. When i found out there is really no Talisa, i was like "why did they change this?" They could have included Jeyne and shown their courtship as well. They could have shown Robb take a arrow to the knee wound and have her nurse him back to health and even expand a bit on how and why they fell in love.

I assumed that was how it would be done and I would have liked it very much. Alas, it was not to be.

Archived