Why do people think show Robb is so different from book Robb? possible spoilers!

The Hound of Ulster

I forgot about this. Most people like Robb and were horrified by the RW. Its one of the most shocking moments in the books, but makes them stand out compared to many other works. Yet the show has made Robb so much less than what he was in the books. People were outraged when Ned died in the show. The RW should be far far worse. Will people care now after the butcher of Robbs character??

Most people like Robb just fine from what I can see. Robb is being a prat in a way that we think that people should be prats. If you make it about love main characters basically get a pass for all sorts of irresponsible behavior I don't think that many show only people see Robb that negatively.

Most people like Robb just fine from what I can see. Robb is being a prat in a way that we think that people should be prats. If you make it about love main characters basically get a pass for all sorts of irresponsible behavior I don't think that many show only people see Robb that negatively.

But are they rooting for him the way they should be? Do they see him as the boy who tried saving his father, and heroically saved his uncle and grandfather from the greatest warrior in the realm? I dont think so. Many could see him as the irresponsible boy who sent men to die so he could win, and broke a vow to the "innocent" Freys. Tywin Lannister is as likeable as Robb in the show to me

At least the one good thing about Show!Robb being such a prat is that the Red Wedding will be a great pick me up from the disaster the show will no doubt make of the Tyrion / Sansa wedding the episode before. (Given the hash they have made of her storyline so far, and from filming reports, it sounds like a big departure from the book).

The RW will be the end of having to suffer Robb and JarJar Talisa scenes. It is amazing that JarJar Talisa and Show!Robb have actually got me supporting Show!Roose and thinking the Frey are almost justified in their actions. Also it is a real shame for the actors as they are excellent, but their characters have been seriously altered for the worse.

Rapsie, you have me in a bit of a panic. What are these filming reports and how much will they make me worry? I figure the wedding will be a substantial departure from the books, can't do anything to make Tyrion look less than perfect.

And the show is what made me like Roose. I can't wait to end Talisa and have it all just go away. I never, ever thought I'd look forward to the RW.

I'm tired of saying this but whilst Talisa Maegyr is not exactly the same as Jeyne Westerling, so long as she marries Robb and causes his downfall, how exactly have David and Dan made a hash of the story? I don't really get the hate surrounding her character, I mean yes she's clichéd but I don't really see how that could make people react so violently to her.

As for book Robb and show Robb, I don't think they're that different, save only in terms of age and looks, the character is exactly the same. He's still an honourable, skilful battle commander, and an absolute berk when it comes to politics.

But are they rooting for him the way they should be? Do they see him as the boy who tried saving his father, and heroically saved his uncle and grandfather from the greatest warrior in the realm? I dont think so. Many could see him as the irresponsible boy who sent men to die so he could win, and broke a vow to the "innocent" Freys. Tywin Lannister is as likeable as Robb in the show to me

Why? He did all those things in the series too. So he sent some redshirts to die, pretty much nobody gives a damn about this in TV land...

Rapsie, you have me in a bit of a panic. What are these filming reports and how much will they make me worry? I figure the wedding will be a substantial departure from the books, can't do anything to make Tyrion look less than perfect.

And the show is what made me like Roose. I can't wait to end Talisa and have it all just go away. I never, ever thought I'd look forward to the RW.

You wish. She'll be the new Ros popping up here leading Robb's men to freedom, popping up there as the leader of the BWB. She'll pop out to fish Cat out of the river and pop in to scoop up Arya and bring her back to her new brotherhood.

There is no end to zombie Ros and there will be no end to zombie Talisa. Why use Beric and Cat when you already have two other characters that refuse to go away.

I'm tired of saying this but whilst Talisa Maegyr is not exactly the same as Jeyne Westerling, so long as she marries Robb and causes his downfall, how exactly have David and Dan made a hash of the story? I don't really get the hate surrounding her character, I mean yes she's clichéd but I don't really see how that could make people react so violently to her.

As for book Robb and show Robb, I don't think they're that different, save only in terms of age and looks, the character is exactly the same. He's still an honourable, skilful battle commander, and an absolute berk when it comes to politics.

Except hes shown to have no respect for his mother and her relationship with Ned, and doesnt care as much for his men, sending 2000 men away to die. Hes also a follower of the Faith, getting married that way and not in the Northern style

Why? He did all those things in the series too. So he sent some redshirts to die, pretty much nobody gives a damn about this in TV land...

I was just going to say. Other than that Robb is the stereotypical tragic hero for today's society. I don't think people are that bothered by someone marrying for love instead of duty or whatever. That's taken for granted now.

You wish. She'll be the new Ros popping up here leading Robb's men to freedom, popping up there as the leader of the BWB. She'll pop out to fish Cat out of the river and pop in to scoop up Arya and bring her back to her new brotherhood.

There is no end to zombie Ros and there will be no end to zombie Talisa. Why use Beric and Cat when you already have two other characters that refuse to go away.

Now I can picture her using LF's magical transportation device to do all this too. Maybe her and Ros will team up and have wacky adventures together, a treat we'll get to suffer through for the remainder of the show.

I hate to say it...but I don't think it will happen on the show. :frown5:

Umm...i heard Kit Harington signed a nudity clause. ( :drool: )

After the Red Wedding, i cant imagine them doing TOO much with Talisa until Jaime's misadventures in the Riverlands, but who knows. Hell, they might even kill her off as well like they did Irri. *fist shaking emoticon* (Irri dying in the show BOTHERED me.)

Not half as spectacularly. In the books he destroyed Jaime with half the number Jaime had. In the series he had Jaime outnumbered. In the book he sent Roose with a great host to confront Tywin. In the show he sent 2000 men to die. In the books he loves his mother and respects her. In the show he was a petulant boy towards her and beliitled her and Neds relationship. Hell he didnt even save Edmure and Hoster in the books. Perhaps people in TV land dont mind so much, but for any watcher who stops for a moment to reflect on his character wont see him the way people who have read the books do. I just dont see it being such a heart wrenching moment as it should be. I hope im wrong

Except hes shown to have no respect for his mother and her relationship with Ned, and doesnt care as much for his men, sending 2000 men away to die. Hes also a follower of the Faith, getting married that way and not in the Northern style

He does show remorse for those deaths though, it's Theon who dismisses it as a glorious end. The Catelyn storyline deviates somewhat granted, though it does make for a potentially more interesting plot in season 3. The religion I think is to do with Talisa's faith and it's some concession to her but who knows, I hadn't thought of the religion aspect. That would be a slight change, ultimately not important to the overall plot but it's one of those details I'd like to be the same.

I was just going to say. Other than that Robb is the stereotypical tragic hero for today's society. I don't think people are that bothered by someone marrying for love instead of duty or whatever. That's taken for granted now.

As an aside i always think Robb also loved Jeyne. As well as her honour, this is another factor in his decision to stay with her and betray the Freys

Now I can picture her using LF's magical transportation device to do all this too. Maybe her and Ros will team up and have wacky adventures together, a treat we'll get to suffer through for the remainder of the show.

Heh. I bet we will also get a new insufferable character in Season 3. Maybe we'll get one for every new season, and eventually they'll collectively take up more screen time than the real characters from the books.

He does show remorse for those deaths though, it's Theon who dismisses it as a glorious end. The Catelyn storyline deviates somewhat granted, though it does make for a potentially more interesting plot in season 3. The religion I think is to do with Talisa's faith and it's some concession to her but who knows, I hadn't thought of the religion aspect. That would be a slight change, ultimately not important to the overall plot but it's one of those details I'd like to be the same.

Yes i would think its to do with Talisas faith. We dont know how they wed, but we do know Robb follows his fathers gods. Hes the King of two great regions. Him marrying in a different religions faith is bewildering. Granted, nobody in TV land will care, but its just one of those non-sensical things for me. B and B should have a host of people who know the books inside out. They can deviate all they want and back it up but theres no sense in this, its just purely an oversight on their part

Heh. I bet we will also get a new insufferable character in Season 3. Maybe we'll get one for every new season, and eventually they'll collectively take up more screen time than the real characters from the books.

Lots of opportunity! LF took Sandor's line. Ros was the one who went to KL with hopes and dreams, and Talisa replaced Jeyne. Maybe we will get a different love interest for Jaime? Or perhaps Dany will find out she has a spunky half-sister?

Yes i would think its to do with Talisas faith. We dont know how they wed, but we do know Robb follows his fathers gods. Hes the King of two great regions. Him marrying in a different religions faith is bewildering. Granted, nobody in TV land will care, but its just one of those non-sensical things for me. B and B should have a host of people who know the books inside out. They can deviate all they want and back it up but theres no sense in this, its just purely an oversight on their part

It might be interpreted as a concession to his allies in the South, but I agree that it is something of an oversight. That said, Ned and Catelyn married in a sept didn't they, so maybe it's the done thing?

Lots of opportunity! LF took Sandor's line. Ros was the one who went to KL with hopes and dreams, and Talisa replaced Jeyne. Maybe we will get a different love interest for Jaime? Or perhaps Dany will find out she has a spunky half-sister?

you should be a tv writer tbh!

It might be interpreted as a concession to his allies in the South, but I agree that it is something of an oversight. That said, Ned and Catelyn married in a sept didn't they, so maybe it's the done thing?

I think they did both rituals, one in the sept and one in front of the trees but i don't have the books with me now

I think they did both rituals, one in the sept and one in front of the trees but i don't have the books with me now

Robb and Talisa were in front of a tree, could it have been a heart tree? I don't know it's too dark in the scene to tell, but it would be a reasonable explanation to say we only see one ceremony. Thanks for that, must remember to check that fully later!

Archived