Why do people think show Robb is so different from book Robb? possible spoilers!

The Hound of Ulster

It might be interpreted as a concession to his allies in the South, but I agree that it is something of an oversight. That said, Ned and Catelyn married in a sept didn't they, so maybe it's the done thing?

IIRC they were married while standing in a river, at the same time as Jon and Lysa.....could be wrong though! He did build a small sept for her up in WF and brought a septon North

It might be interpreted as a concession to his allies in the South, but I agree that it is something of an oversight. That said, Ned and Catelyn married in a sept didn't they, so maybe it's the done thing?

In the show, there are no allies in the South. They dropped that storyline until season three. In the show, he marched south for his father, but the retaking of Riverrun and coming to the aid of the Riverland lords has been dropped so far.

you should be a tv writer tbh!

Nah, I can't write. I do enjoy a bit of mocking though.

In the show, there are no allies in the South. They dropped that storyline until season three. In the show, he marched south for his father, but the retaking of Riverrun and coming to the aid of the Riverland lords has been dropped so far.

Though they haven't been mentioned, I think it ought to be inferred that he has allies in Riverrun even without showing it, given that his mother's a predominant member of House Tully.

Though they haven't been mentioned, I think it ought to be inferred that he has allies in Riverrun even without showing it, given that his mother's a predominant member of House Tully.

Nothing really to support that. The closest they have to allies in the South are the Freys right now. We also know that the entire Riverrun storyline was pushed until season three, deliberately so.

Nothing really to support that. The closest they have to allies in the South are the Freys right now. We also know that the entire Riverrun storyline was pushed until season three, deliberately so.

Which makes everything so much the worse. He's fucking over an ally, not a bannerman.

Sorry to cause a panic! Not as bad as that. The Weddig apparently involves hundreds of extras (so not a small event) and also Sansa is apparently wearing green, which suggests Tyrell colours and some of switcheroo awfulness.

Eh, it's another reason why I don't plan to watch season three until I start receiving feedback from trusted sources, i.e. people's whose opinions have been fully vetted and are close to mine.

Eh, it's another reason why I don't plan to watch season three until I start receiving feedback from trusted sources, i.e. people's whose opinions have been fully vetted and are close to mine.

I know. I'm not sure if I'll watch next season apart from highlights.... Or lowlights. :(

At least the one good thing about Show!Robb being such a prat is that the Red Wedding will be a great pick me up from the disaster the show will no doubt make of the Tyrion / Sansa wedding the episode before. (Given the hash they have made of her storyline so far, and from filming reports, it sounds like a big departure from the book).

The RW will be the end of having to suffer Robb and JarJar Talisa scenes. It is amazing that JarJar Talisa and Show!Robb have actually got me supporting Show!Roose and thinking the Frey are almost justified in their actions. Also it is a real shame for the actors as they are excellent, but their characters have been seriously altered for the worse.

A bit off toppic, but what makes you think Sansa/Tyrion wedding will be a big departure from the books?

EDIT: sorry haven't read your last post, well maybe it's not that bad.

Also TV haven't show Riverrun, but it was mentioned many times, I think it is implied that the Tullys are fighting, just off-screen

Lots of opportunity! LF took Sandor's line. Ros was the one who went to KL with hopes and dreams, and Talisa replaced Jeyne. Maybe we will get a different love interest for Jaime? Or perhaps Dany will find out she has a spunky half-sister?

Two (dreadful) words - Jeyne Greystone.

Perhaps she will be introduced into the show somehow.

I haven't read this whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but I recall seeing an interview with David Benioff in which he mentioned they changed the Robb relationship because they wanted to explore love coming into conflict with duty/honor -- that this is one of the main themes they're exploring with the show. (Ned choosing love of family vs. honor; Jon's ongoing struggle; etc.)

Which brings up an interesting question: Do you think that's a theme GRRM is working with, or are D&D going in their own direction in that regard?

I haven't read this whole thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but I recall seeing an interview with David Benioff in which he mentioned they changed the Robb relationship because they wanted to explore love coming into conflict with duty/honor -- that this is one of the main themes they're exploring with the show. (Ned choosing love of family vs. honor; Jon's ongoing struggle; etc.)

Which brings up an interesting question: Do you think that's a theme GRRM is working with, or are D&D going in their own direction in that regard?

Martin has dealt with it before (see: the whole big speech from Master Aemon about duty vs. love). I don't know if he did so in the case of Robb but he's done it before.

Sorry to cause a panic! Not as bad as that. The Weddig apparently involves hundreds of extras (so not a small event) and also Sansa is apparently wearing green, which suggests Tyrell colours and some of switcheroo awfulness.

Are you sure this is their wedding? It might be Joffrey's too, I guess.

I do not think they are exploring anything because that implies some deep, thoughtful plots and motivations of characters, which I do not really see in the series.

But yes, GRRM has done it:

- Jon's situation with Ygritte

- Eddard's love for his daughters against his honour

- Robb's love for Jeyne and his alliance with the Freys

- Aemon's speech (thanks, Castel)

There must be more examples, maybe even Jaime's pushing Brandon from the window and killing Aerys, if you stretch it a little.

I do not think they are exploring anything because that implies some deep, thoughtful plots and motivations of characters, which I do not really see in the series.

But yes, GRRM has done it:

- Jon's situation with Ygritte

- Eddard's love for his daughters against his honour

- Robb's love for Jeyne and his alliance with the Freys

- Aemon's speech (thanks, Castel)

There must be more examples, maybe even Jaime's pushing Brandon from the window and killing Aerys, if you stretch it a little.

I agree with Buckwheat here. When I see statements like this:

Benioff: In some ways, he's the most modern character. Tyrion's view of the world might be closest to ours. It's almost like he's reached the Enlightenment a bit before everyone else. He has a skepticism about things, he has a sense of humor, and he has a disproportionate share of the best lines.

Italics are mine. http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201212/game-of-thrones-blackwater-season-two-finale-oral-history?currentPage=2

...it really makes me wonder what D&D are doing. Tyrion's brother is a more enlightened character than he is. Actually, Jon and Jaime are probably the two most enlightened characters in the entire series. Tyrion, despite his status as a dwarf and his sometimes pity for "cripples, bastards, and broken things" is very much a creature who enjoys and takes advantage of his status in his world. I really don't get the logic here.

I don't see exploration of themes or overly complex character motivations. We talked about this earlier in the thread but many of the themes that Martin explores in his work aren't really being explored. The duty vs. honor, meaning of vows, breakdown of chivalry, Romance, and others aren't very present.

I'm not surprised to see D&D fail in this regard. I mean GRRM is at different level.

True, which makes you wonder why they deviate from his writing at all. Some changes are grand-not including Dagmer Cleftjaw for example, or even leaving Meera and Jojen for a lil longer doesnt effect things too much. But no Ramsay? Rodrik killed with all his army by some ironmen? Robbs whole character? Senseless

I agree with Buckwheat here. When I see statements like this:

Italics are mine. http://www.gq.com/en...y?currentPage=2

...it really makes me wonder what D&D are doing. Tyrion's brother is a more enlightened character than he is. Actually, Jon and Jaime are probably the two most enlightened characters in the entire series. Tyrion, despite his status as a dwarf and his sometimes pity for "cripples, bastards, and broken things" is very much a creature who enjoys and takes advantage of his status in his world. I really don't get the logic here.

Wow, these guys are such Tyrion fanboys, even on this board where there's no shortage of such posters they'd stand out. No wonder they've whitewashed him to such a degree and removed nearly al his morally problematic acts so far.

Wow, these guys are such Tyrion fanboys, even on this board where there's no shortage of such posters they'd stand out. No wonder they've whitewashed him to such a degree and removed nearly al his morally problematic acts so far.

IIRC he did slap Shae once or twice though yes? I think his portrayal has been pretty good so far. Hes most viewers favourite because hes so funny. He should be taking a darker turn soon however, and it will be interesting to see if they pull it off

Archived