The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

What I've gathered from this thread:

• getting more screen time, especially if you're a minor character in the books, automatically makes you a good actor, unless of course you're Talisa
  • Cracking one-liners automatically make you a good actor
  • playing an introvert, like Jon, automatically makes you a bad actor. You have to shout and scream and say cool lines to change that
  • If people hate your book version they won't even give you a chance with the show, ESPECIALLY if you're Daenerys
  • being "badass"...whatever that means, makes you a good actor.

I definitely learnt something today

I don't think Emilia Clarke did her best acting this season. But, to be fair, she didn't have much to work with until the last two episodes. She's good when Dany is dealing with a problem...she's not as good when she has to act aloof. I think that she will probably do better next season since it will hold nothing but problems for Dany.

Dany's not my favorite character, since I think her story becomes less and less compelling as time goes on, but I guess I don't get why anyone would hate her with a passion. Cersei's evil...Dany, not so much, although she is making mistakes. Basically, if she were to learn the real, actual truth behind her family's downfall, I think we'd see a very different Dany.

Just my opinion on the subject.

Then there's you slamming Lena. For your information, she does read the books - and she knows what's coming. She has even done a psychological study on Cersei and knows very much what her story is about.. It's literally her interpretation against yours and seeing how she has spoken with George on the subject on numerous occasions, I'm pretty sure that her interpretation is pretty close on the money - despite what the BookPurists here say.

Lena hasn't read the books. She said so in an interview (I saw it with my own two eyes), unless that's changed then she doesn't read the books. She and Peter Dinklage are waiting for the show to end then they'll start reading. Those I know for sure have read the books are Kit, Emilia, the guy who plays Loras, Sophie (only chapters with Sansa) and Michelle (only chapters with Catelyn). Maisie is kind of young for the books but her parents have summarized everything for her, she even knows about things like Weasel soup and that Arya doesn't meet Tywin.

Lena hasn't read the books. She said so in an interview, unless that's changed then she doesn't read the books. She and Peter Dinklage are waiting for the show to end then they'll start reading. Those I know for sure have read the books are Kit, Emilia, the guy who plays Loras, Sophie (only chapters with Sansa) and Michelle (only chapters with Catelyn). Maisie is kind of young for the books but her parents have summarized everything for her, she even knows about things like Weasel soup and that Arya doesn't meet Tywin.

I don't think it should matter whether or not they've read the books, tbh. In fact, those who don't say that it keeps them from 'jumping forward' on their character, which I can totally see. Plus the characterizations aren't necessarily the same from the book to the screen, and that's not always a bad thing. Charles Dance didn't read the books at all, and I don't think anyone would accuse him of not understanding or absolutely nailing his character.

I don't think it should matter whether or not they've read the books, tbh. In fact, those who don't say that it keeps them from 'jumping forward' on their character, which I can totally see. Plus the characterizations aren't necessarily the same from the book to the screen, and that's not always a bad thing. Charles Dance didn't read the books at all, and I don't think anyone would accuse him of not understanding or absolutely nailing his character.

You're right, it doesn't matter. It'a just that people use that argument to say mostly-unfounded stuff like "you can really see that Lena understands Cersei and the complex character she is", which is the impression I got from the post to which I was responding. If people want to make that argument then maybe they should first check which of the actors have actually read the books.

Also, I may have been slightly pissed off at the very strong Emila and Dany hate in that post :frown5:

You're right, it doesn't matter. It'a just that people use that argument to say mostly-unfounded stuff like "you can really see that Lena understands Cersei and the complex character she is", which is the impression I got from the post to which I was responding. If people want to make that argument then maybe they should first check which of the actors have actually read the books.

Also, I may have been slightly pissed off at the very strong Emila and Dany hate in that post :frown5:

Lol, understandable. I really hate Cersei, but I think Lena would take that as a compliment XD

I don't think Emilia Clarke did her best acting this season. But, to be fair, she didn't have much to work with until the last two episodes. She's good when Dany is dealing with a problem...she's not as good when she has to act aloof. I think that she will probably do better next season since it will hold nothing but problems for Dany.

I think the problem with Emilia this season is that Dany becomes increasingly internalized. So much of her thought process is going on inside her head in the books because she's finding it hard to trust people. She must present being the new Harpy-Dragon Queen to Meereen but inside she's still Dany and unsure of things. It's hard to convey that, I guess, when you're given 5-10 min to do something ot move the story along.

I thought Emilia did quite well in the final dragon scene in 410. My heart broke for the little guys, and you could tell it was tearing Dany apart.

I think the problem with Emilia this season is that Dany becomes increasingly internalized. So much of her thought process is going on inside her head in the books because she's finding it hard to trust people. She must present being the new Harpy-Dragon Queen to Meereen but inside she's still Dany and unsure of things. It's hard to convey that, I guess, when you're given 5-10 min to do something ot move the story along.

I thought Emilia did quite well in the final dragon scene in 410. My heart broke for the little guys, and you could tell it was tearing Dany apart.

Totally agree with you here.

That scene in 410 just broke my heart. I don't cry easily but when she finally turned around and I saw the pain in her face my heart just shattered.

Lena hasn't read the books. She said so in an interview (I saw it with my own two eyes), unless that's changed then she doesn't read the books. She and Peter Dinklage are waiting for the show to end then they'll start reading. Those I know for sure have read the books are Kit, Emilia, the guy who plays Loras, Sophie (only chapters with Sansa) and Michelle (only chapters with Catelyn). Maisie is kind of young for the books but her parents have summarized everything for her, she even knows about things like Weasel soup and that Arya doesn't meet Tywin.

I started reading AGOT when I was 14...

Yeah, I think she's just not as good with the internalization as she is with the outward displays of emotion. I completely agree that her best acting this season was during that scene, you could actually see the world dropping out from under her as she realized what had happened.

Another character that internalizes a lot is Jon Snow, and it also was Kit Harington's weakness for a while. But I think he's really grown into his role, and he's able to say a lot more with his body language this season than he was in the first three seasons, where he sort of always looked confused. Now, Kit plays Jon as a man who has seen a lot and suffered more, and you can really see the weight of all of his decisions in his face. I think Emilia will rebound next year once she gets used to Dany's new role.

It would be kind of strange to see a 6'0 woman sexually hunting our poor Kit Harington, who is 5'7...also, she's like 20 years older than him.

The height difference is just as pronounced in the books, if not more so, since she is supposed to be like 6'1" or 6'2" but I do agree about the age. It would have been perfect casting if Famke was the same age as she was when she made GoldenEye.

Respectfully, I think you are wrong about Dany. There are plenty of people who would meltdown if she died. I think it's just that the Anti - Dany's are so loud and proud they drown out the rest.

I agree whole heartedly about Lena. She is a phenominal Cersei IMO.

Okay, don't get me wrong.. I would still have a meltdown if she died, but not for the character per definition. But because I wanted that storyline to go some place. Her personal development isn't what interests me.

Dany, at this point, - logistically speaking - got an impressive army and two dragons to a large, large battlefield where two members from two other houses are present. Now, I haven't read the preview chapters for TWOW, so I don't know everything that's happening, but I have heard that the Dragonhorn is blown, please correct me if I'm wrong. If Dany dies now, and Tyrion and Vic form an unlikely Lannister/Greyjoy-alliance, they could go to Westeros with the two dragons and her army as slaves on the Greyjoy fleet - the Unsullied won't listen, but there still are the several companies at hand. That could've been the point of her story, to move a set of pieces to a place where they could be picked up by others. In which case, I wouldn't have cared for her death as I would know that the development of her arc wasn't for naught.

Of course I expect her to stay alive because George isn't going to KO his baby girl/yet.

Carice van Houten is decent but Famke Janssen -- who, oddly enough, is also Dutch -- would have been several degrees better. For one thing, Melisandre should be much taller than she is on the show, an area where Famke could have really helped since she is six feet tall.

Actually, the British actors are all not the tallest bunch.. Well, except Nairn.. So in comparison.. I'd assume it's pretty accurate.

Dany's not my favorite character, since I think her story becomes less and less compelling as time goes on, but I guess I don't get why anyone would hate her with a passion. Cersei's evil...Dany, not so much, although she is making mistakes. Basically, if she were to learn the real, actual truth behind her family's downfall, I think we'd see a very different Dany.

Just my opinion on the subject.

How's Cersei evil as per definition? Towards Tyrion, yes.. Towards her children? No.. Cersei's entitled due to heritage and upbringing. She's also pretty darn paranoid.. I'd say she also has at least a few screws loose. I'd call Cersei "raving mad", but not "evil" per definition..

Dany.. Is a bit more problematic then you're making her out to be. I agree she's making mistakes, but most of her actions are about getting revenge against the ones who killed her family (no holds barred) and the masters of Slaver'sbay for indulging in slavery - based off the experience of being sold to the Dothraki by Viserys. That's all fine and dandy.. But she got over it pretty quickly and embraced the Horse culture into her heart.. Dany outright murdered people that could've been Drogo's to slaves. That's what I liked about that old tutor-scene they put into the show.. There were parallels between him and her. As she had grown to love Drogo, and the Dothraki, that tutor loved his place as a slave tutoring children. Yet Dany didn't care, she caused the death of pretty much every slave owner in town.

I don't know how to get into this with the right wordings.. Just because she's killing people for what appears to be the greater good on the surface, doesn't mean that she is in fact making things better. Worst part is she does these killings because she thinks she is entitled to do so - and keeps on telling herself that: mother of dragons, breaker of chains.

Lena hasn't read the books. She said so in an interview (I saw it with my own two eyes), unless that's changed then she doesn't read the books. She and Peter Dinklage are waiting for the show to end then they'll start reading.

It's just that people use that argument to say mostly-unfounded stuff like "you can really see that Lena understands Cersei and the complex character she is", which is the impression I got from the post to which I was responding. If people want to make that argument then maybe they should first check which of the actors have actually read the books.

First off, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTfaoZPzxOU

Lena@Answer of first question: "This [season] is just kind of the ladder up to where she is going to fall pretty severely around somewhere, you know, in season 6, 5? 6? 5."

"You know"? Pretty sure she's referring to Cersei's walk of shame. This was just the week after the 4x03, so they wouldn't have gotten scripts for season 5 yet, I'd assume, especially because of her being slightly unsure of where the event would be season-wise.

Lena@2:50: "It's only a spoiler if you haven't read the books, but when Cersei was young, she was told that she would outlive her children"

How would she know that if she does not read the books? They haven't even touched upon this in the show. Leading me to believe that she has at least read the Cersei-chapters by now. Of course, Maggie is being cast for S5, but I doubt they spilled those beans way back then already..

I can easily use the same interview to showcase that she has at least thought of pretty much every aspect of Cersei to quite a large extent - at least when it comes to translating those emotions to the character she's playing and onto the screen, which is her job.

Lastly, what Emilia and Dany hate in my post?

"To defend Emilia, I really cringe during every single Dany-chapter, AND I cringe during every single Emilia scene.. The thing people need to remember about Dany is that Dany isn't epic. Her "epic" derives from her dragons - the rest of her is just a confused/entitled little bitch that you want to slap silly three quarters of the time.. To me, it's so weird that people (not you specifically) seem to think that Dany is the total opposite of a Joffrey-like character in the sense that we should expect epic from her every scene. Instead I expect to face-palm in every scene.. because that's the character I interpret her as.."

Are you saying that because I say that Dany isn't epic on her own, I'm hating on her? That while I'm saying that she makes me cringe, I'm hating on her? First off, I'm - from my personal perspective - stating that Emilia's performance resonates with my interpretation of the character in the books. Which is a compliment to her acting.

I'm sorry if you've taken offense to the word "bitch", but that's what she is - "They can live in my new world or die in their old one". she is young and she can be very snarky at times. I don't hate her for that, because that's how confused young girls that happen to have relative forms of power can be. I cringe because of that, but I don't hate. I actually find good cringes enjoying. People hated Joffrey, but they loved him simultaneously and miss him today. I interpret Dany as a character that still has a lot to learn, as she is still young - but insists on her own way. The fact that she quite often does what she thinks is best, while disregarding (better) advice is what makes me cringe - but it is to be expected. It's the same with Sansa, she's grown up with tales and songs of knights in shining armor.. hello, the world is different and half of her story is coming to terms with that, while Dany.. basically ignores every lesson and goes her own way disregarding lessons learned. That's okay, that's what we expect of a Targ. It's the difference of becoming a player (Sansa) and being a pawn (Dany).

She's definitely not perfect, but that's exactly how George is writing her, as flawed, not a perfect princess. So, it's okay for me to be infuriated with her, or at least have issues with her choices, that's exactly the reaction George wants out of his readers.

I also enjoy her boobs part in moving the story forward. Hence, no hating on both Emilia or Dany here. You shouldn't be so brash.

I agree. Though scenes like between her and Jorah in the chamber room were still a bit stiff when at least those shouldn't be. Her banishing Jorah and the Dragonchaining were good scenes though. My heart broke more due to the dragons "acting", but Emilia was good as well..

The height difference is just as pronounced in the books, if not more so, since she is supposed to be like 6'1" or 6'2" but I do agree about the age. It would have been perfect casting if Famke was the same age as she was when she made GoldenEye.

Seriously, did George ever give us Melisandre's measurements? Really?

Actually, the British actors are all not the tallest bunch.. Well, except Nairn.. So in comparison.. I'd assume it's pretty accurate.

Kit Harrington is an inch taller than Carice, whereas Melisandre is supposed to be significantly taller than Jon Snow (and Davos for that matter).

Seriously, did George ever give us Melisandre's measurements? Really?

Read the prologue of A Clash of Kings again. Incidentally, Selyse Florent is even taller than her. She is supposed to be as tall as Stannis (i.e., 6'4").

Kit Harrington is an inch taller than Carice, whereas Melisandre is supposed to be significantly taller than Jon Snow (and Davos for that matter).

Read the prologue of A Clash of Kings again. Incidentally, Selyse Florent is even taller than her. She is supposed to be as tall as Stannis (i.e., 6'4").

It's been a long while.. xD

Stannis' supposed to be 6'4? Wow.. :P

How's Cersei evil as per definition? Towards Tyrion, yes.. Towards her children? No.. Cersei's entitled due to heritage and upbringing. She's also pretty darn paranoid.. I'd say she also has at least a few screws loose. I'd call Cersei "raving mad", but not "evil" per definition..

Dany.. Is a bit more problematic then you're making her out to be. I agree she's making mistakes, but most of her actions are about getting revenge against the ones who killed her family (no holds barred) and the masters of Slaver'sbay for indulging in slavery - based off the experience of being sold to the Dothraki by Viserys. That's all fine and dandy.. But she got over it pretty quickly and embraced the Horse culture into her heart.. Dany outright murdered people that could've been Drogo's to slaves. That's what I liked about that old tutor-scene they put into the show.. There were parallels between him and her. As she had grown to love Drogo, and the Dothraki, that tutor loved his place as a slave tutoring children. Yet Dany didn't care, she caused the death of pretty much every slave owner in town.

I don't know how to get into this with the right wordings.. Just because she's killing people for what appears to be the greater good on the surface, doesn't mean that she is in fact making things better. Worst part is she does these killings because she thinks she is entitled to do so - and keeps on telling herself that: mother of dragons, breaker of chains.

Cersei has no good intentions. She's a selfish narcissist who cares only about hers and her own. She's essentially a pychopath with some crazy thrown in there for good measure. That's why I classify her as evil, although I appreciate that it's a very black and white word. However, I see her as a black and white character...her intentions are understandable from her POV, but that's pretty much it.

I will be the first to criticize Dany for the mistakes she's making- the indiscriminate crucifixion of the Masters is absolutely terrible, as is her "sack now, ask questions later" method of conquering. And if the show follows the books, she will make even more heinous decisions and even start wondering if she's sane or not. However, I will give it to her that she's not crazy, nor is she completely motivated by self-interest in her decisions. Her biggest problem, really, is that she is willfully blind to the true history of her family, despite the fact that she knows that Viserys wasn't truthful with her about it, but I think that once she takes the blinders off, we will see a big change in her. "To go forward, you must go back"...I think that refers to finding out what happened in her family's past, not a place. She can't move on and be what she's meant to be unless she understands who she really is and what her family really is.

Dany remains willfully ignorant about westeros and her families history and legacy, but she has good intentions. She wants to help the slaves and does, yet doesnt really know what to do after freeing them and sacking a city.

Dany has a mission, she just doesnt know how to go about it in the best manner some of the time.

Unlike her father, she finds no humour or joy in murdering people.

I believe Brits make up half the top ten tallest actors in the show from the first series. (it's the same if you include or don't include Mag the Mighty).

I absolutely love Lena Heady as Cersei! Other greats are: Masie Williams as Arya, Charles Dance as Tywin, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Sophie Turner as Sansa, Rory McCann as the Hound, Jack Gleeson as Joffery, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime. Overall, I think that most of the actors are great, but this group really stands out to me.

Pretty much this, the vast majority are quite well casted, Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage got the whole thing running quite fantastically

I will add Dianna Rigg as Queen of Thorns, and Pedro Pascal and Idira Varma as Prince Oberyn and Elaria Sand respectively as well

Guy playing Roose Bolton has done well and same with Ramsay, even if he isn' quite an accurate depiction

And Yarasha is good too

Some I don't like is Mace Tyrell, I get they are supposed to emphasise Olenna and Margaery are the brains but is is OTT dopey and stupid, in the books he is just not quite as competent as he would like to think he is

Obviously they have stuffed the Mountain up a couple of times, the actor from season 1 looked the part

I actually also have a little bit of issues with Dany, started off strongly but I think this is more to do with the directors overplaying the whole "strong woman" thing to appease the feminist bloc, perhaps they'll explore her insecurities next season. Same goes for Stannis, actor is doing a good job so I put it at the hands of the writers/directors but I'm not sure they are doing him justice either

Then there's Renly, he is very highly charismatic in the books and handsome and seen as a younger version of Robert in the books - not a soldier but an excellent politician and could have actually been highly capable, in the show he was made out to be something of a douchebag

I like Mance Raydar, Tormund, Blackfish and Edmure actors, special mention has to go to the fact that they nailed Viserys as well and portrayed him perfectly IMO I hope they really get Euron and Victarion correct, that is important

Stannis' supposed to be 6'4? Wow.. :P

There are quite a few tall people in the series. All the Baratheon brothers, for starters. The same is true even more so with the Clegane pair. As for the women, Selyse, Melisandre, Dacey Mormont, and Brienne are also very, very tall. And Jaime and Cersei are also supposed to be quite tall themselves.

Archived