The Best Casting and Worst Casting (in your opinion).

Conor

Fun game: go back to the earliest forum topics about the books becoming a show, and see people's speculations in those roles you "cannot unsee them in" and it's pretty funny. Before casting rumors ever had Sean Bean and Mark Addy brought up, they were mentioned in the topic. I think they're perfect, and I think most agree but when not everyone did when they were originally suggested.

Worst:

Mance

Shae

Daario

Littlefinger

Mediocre:

Yara

Ramsay

Best:

Maisie

Dinklage

Headey

Jack Gleeson

Sean Bean

Charles Dance

Nikolaj

Khal Drogo

I'm sure there are many I love that I'm missing. On the whole I think there is an amazing cast.

Worst:

Mance

Shae

Daario

Littlefinger

Mediocre:

Yara

Ramsay

Best:

Maisie

Dinklage

Headey

Jack Gleeson

Sean Bean

Charles Dance

Nikolaj

Khal Drogo

I'm sure there are many I love that I'm missing. On the whole I think there is an amazing cast.

:agree: And I'd add Dany as Mediocre and Turner as Best. I think the main problem with Yara and Dany is really the script (ok, a bit of Emilia acting trying to look badass).

Edit: Harry Lloyd as best as well.

:agree: And I'd add Dany as Mediocre and Turner as Best. I think the main problem with Yara and Dany is really the script (ok, a bit of Emilia acting trying to look badass).

Edit: Harry Lloyd as best as well.

Oh I love Turner & Lloyd also & Rory! forgot him

What I really don't get about the showrunners and Yara is that they cast an actress who is known as a comedian, and I think they even mentioned how funny she is as one of the reasons they cast her, and then they take away all of Asha's sense of humor and playful sassiness which make her a great character in the book, and made her just a dull, dour 'badass'. What's up with that? Isn't anyone allowed to be snarky and sassy outside of King's Landing?

I absolutely admire the Book!Stannis, and dislike some changes made in his story in the show, but I feel that I must defend the portrayal of this character by Stephen Dillane. He is brilliant. I think he brings into the character the nervousness and depth of a Chekhov or Ibsen broken intellectual, full of doubts, possessed by many demons. He is a warrior, but he is vulnerable and deeply hurt inside. He is not weak, he is rather dominant but in a twisted 'Dirk Bogarde' way. It's an art house Stannis. I think it's rather great when a bookish man with desperate burning eyes suddenly shows great commander skills and incredible badassery like, you know: "first off the boat, first to the wall and first on the ladder". It's admirable.

I absolutely admire the Book!Stannis, and dislike some changes made in his story in the show, but I feel that I must defend the portrayal of this character by Stephen Dillane. He is brilliant. I think he brings into the character the nervousness and depth of a Chekhov or Ibsen broken intellectual, full of doubts, possesed by many demons. He is a warrior, but he is vulnerable and deeply hurt inside. He is not weak, he is rather dominant but in a twisted 'Dirk Bogarde' way. It's an art house Stannis. I think it's rather great when a bookish man with desperate burning eyes suddenly shows great commander skills and incredible badassery like, you know: "first off the boat, first to the wall and first on the ladder". It's admirable.

I don't think that anyone has any problem with Stephen Dillane, even the biggest book!Stannis fans who rant at D&D for their writing of Stannis.

@Annara,

no, there are such people. :)

Right at the beginning of this specific topic.

As I was reading it I decided I had to say a couple of nice words about this actor who is doing a marvellous job. His Stannis is possibly unlikable from the first sight, but deeply lovable the longer you follow him.

Lena Headey is the most interesting casting in my opinion, because judged against the character from the books her acting is atrocious as an adaptation, but she is simply marvelous playing this character called "Cersei Lannister" even if she is nothing like her.

Lena Headey is the most interesting casting in my opinion, because judged against the character from the books her acting is atrocious as an adaptation, but she is simply marvelous playing this character called "Cersei Lannister" even if she is nothing like her.

I think I disagree with you. Book!Cersei is different than the Show version, true, but the differences are not as big as the Tyrion's ones or even the Jaime of this fourth season, which has been an atrocious one for his character. Tywin is probably the only Lannister well portrayed. And Joffrey. Both Cahrles Dance and Jack Gleeson nailed them.

Also, I'm going to say something that might be unpopular here: I'm rewatching Jon's arc this season, and Kit is becoming full Jon. He's getting me more and more with every episode.

I really like Lena as Cersei. I appreciate as well that as an actress she seems to care a lot and try to understand the character a lot, and know exactly how she wants her to be (For example, the way she described how she doesn't think cersei should have a scene naked until her walk because she understands how that can be used for power and they are going to show her nudity as vulnerable and complete loss of her own power). I love AFFC insane book Cersei, but I don't think I realised the full derangedness (if that's a word) until her POV's, so I think and hope that they are going to write Lena's version as more fiery as time goes on. I already see her acting more like book Cersei in season 4, and the great think about Lena as an actress is that however the script is written I think she's capable of taking it on and keeping Cersei interesting.

I really like Lena as Cersei. I appreciate as well that as an actress she seems to care a lot and try to understand the character a lot, and know exactly how she wants her to be (For example, the way she described how she doesn't think cersei should have a scene naked until her walk because she understands how that can be used for power and they are going to show her nudity as vulnerable and complete loss of her own power). I love AFFC insane book Cersei, but I don't think I realised the full derangedness (if that's a word) until her POV's, so I think and hope that they are going to write Lena's version as more fiery as time goes on. I already see her acting more like book Cersei in season 4, and the great think about Lena as an actress is that however the script is written I think she's capable of taking it on and keeping Cersei interesting.

I agree. And the insane Feast Cersei of the finale was amazing.

I think I disagree with you . . .

Cersei Lannister is pure fire; Lena Headey is playing an ice queen (a great one, mind you, but not the same thing at all).

Cersei Lannister is pure fire; Lena Headey is playing an ice queen (a great one, mind you, but not the same thing at all).

Cersei doesn't become fire until AFFC. I remember reading AGOT and thinking she was a cold hearted bitch.

Cersei doesn't become fire until AFFC. I remember reading AGOT and thinking she was a cold hearted bitch.

I simply find her to be a much more passionate, impulsive creature in the books, whereas Lena-as-Cersei is cold, calculating and cunning in a way so unlike her written version. Cersei Lannister screams; Lena whispers.

I simply find her to be a much more passionate, impulsive creature in the books, whereas Lena-as-Cersei is cold, calculating and cunning in a way so unlike her written version. Cersei Lannister screams; Lena whispers.

I disagree then. I've always thought Cersei was cold as ice until her son and her father died. AFFC Cersei is almost a completely different character than the AGOT one. That's why I think Lena embraces her character as few in the show do with theirs.

I disagree then. I've always thought Cersei was cold as ice until her son and her father died. AFFC Cersei is almost a completely different character than the AGOT one. That's why I think Lena embraces her character as few in the show do with theirs.

I agree, I think Joffrey and then Tywin's deaths unleash the crazy (and I think the show will start that). But I do agree that Lena plays her so cold and calculating as said above that the show won't be able to alter her enough to turn her completely into book cersei.

Archived