Planning a trip to New Orleans

Me too BEX!

Kay, What Solo said. Voodoo fest is nice. Lots of room to spread out, lots of different stages. You want to do House of Shock. Wicked scary. I won't go.

Stay in the Marigny or Bywater. Quieter and slightly less drunk than the Quarter.

Edit: And you should have dinner with everyone, if you have time. :) Dinner with nerds is terrifying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so now that all the crazy wedding shit is over, we're in total NOLA mode now.

So yeah, we don't have any concrete plans except on Saturday, at the moment, so I wanted to check if anyone has a preferred night for meeting up/drinking etc? Does Friday work better than say, Sunday or Monday night? I don't want to disrupt any real lives or anything (ugh, work, almost forgot about that shit...)

I was in New Orleans last Thursday and the Friday-Saturday before that (took a cruise that left and returned to NOLA). Ate at that seafood place and that beignet place and had some jambalaya, life was good.

Oh, and I also saw a steamboat play music with steam, so I'm pretty sure I did all the touristy things you could do in less than 1 day.

Sorry I didnt contact anybody because I was with other people, and my schedule was a bit tight.

am likely available friday or saturday. are y'all in town now?

oh. if you wanna get your geek on, there's actually a SFF convention in town. I won't be going, but you might be able to talk LV into it.

We're en route as we speak! Chyeah!

Cool, Friday sounds good. I can check in with Lily once we get settled... Are we going to be able to drag you to karaoke, solo?

Hey! I am stuck at CONtraflow (the only Sci-fi convention left here post Katrina) tomorrow night until Sunday afternoon.

I'm free Sunday afternoon or Monday after 10pm. Yes, Monday sucks and I teach until 10pm, but I don't have to be there until noon. Tuesday I'm good before 11am or after 4pm. Sorry so late with my own schedule. It is midterm.

Solo,

You are on deck this weekend. I trust your powers of both good and evil.

I was in New Orleans last Thursday and the Friday-Saturday before that (took a cruise that left and returned to NOLA). Ate at that seafood place and that beignet place and had some jambalaya, life was good.

Oh, and I also saw a steamboat play music with steam, so I'm pretty sure I did all the touristy things you could do in less than 1 day.

Sorry I didnt contact anybody because I was with other people, and my schedule was a bit tight.

I shall never, ever forgive you. A working physicist who hasn't the time for a Physics instructor is a low creature.

Edited for touchpad doing terrible things

So, we're doing a steamboat jazz tour tonight from 7 to 9 tonight, so after we're totally free.

Tomorrow we'll be requisite touristy shit during the day, and we're thinking of grabbing dinner at the Candlelight in the Treme in the evening, if y'all want to meet up there, or catch some drinks after, whatever works, we're open and flexible.

PS, @frisco.... Done.

• 3 weeks later...

Like everyone else, I considered making a thread until I saw this one. Vinny and I have booked our flight for Halloween (10/28-11/1), where should we stay, what should we do that is scary Halloween and not drunken party Halloween? I have never been to New Orleans, he has.

http://m.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/preview-halloween-in-new-orleans/Content?oid=2517604

As Lily did, I recommend House of Shock and Voodoo Fest. The weather has actually been gorgeous, but think mid to high 70s/low 80s during the day; low 70s/high 60s at night. I hope you have a great trip.

I shouldn't have opened this thread. So jealous of you all. Someone go to Mimi's in the Marigny and do shots of Fireball for me.

Will do. Even though I hate Mimi's on the weekend. So nice to sit by the windows during the day. You coming to CONquest? SAY YES!!!!

Like everyone else, I considered making a thread until I saw this one. Vinny and I have booked our flight for Halloween (10/28-11/1), where should we stay, what should we do that is scary Halloween and not drunken party Halloween? I have never been to New Orleans, he has.

Kay, I have my schedule nailed down for the weekend. Going to a party Saturday night, might do some VooDoo Fest after Friday afternoon. I'll be out and about dressed as Robert Smith on Friday night.

Please let me know if you have time for lunch, dinner or coffee anytime. I'm very close to downtown, so short notice is no problem either. Can't speak for the others. (Solo, Raven....Speak up NOW)

I'd love to meet you. I don't think Ini would forgive me if I didn't make my best shot. I'm going to PM you my info. If you get stuck, lost or in any trouble, don't hesitate to call or text.

HAVE FUN.

Will do. Even though I hate Mimi's on the weekend. So nice to sit by the windows during the day. You coming to CONquest? SAY YES!!!!

Tell Brooke Eddie says hi! Still not sure about ConQuest--it'll depend on my budget leading up to Spokane (stupid money, always messing with my plans). Really enjoyed my first ConQuest this year, though.

kid duty for me on all hallow's eve. in metairie. ugh. am likely available thereafter.

as voodoo is in my neighborhood, we usually sit on the veranda and make fun of the people trying to steal our parking spots. doubtful that we'd want to yaknow go and actually associate with those people.

Archived