Planning a trip to New Orleans

I will be here on Saturday night. The club is on Bourbon, so it is right smack in the middle of Drunk New Orleans.

I just found out about this haunted house. Might try to take the baby. http://www.themortuary.net/

kid duty for me on all hallow's eve. in metairie. ugh. am likely available thereafter.

as voodoo is in my neighborhood, we usually sit on the veranda and make fun of the people trying to steal our parking spots. doubtful that we'd want to yaknow go and actually associate with those people.

Harsh words my friend.

LITA you are welcome back anytime.

We're getting in tomorrow night, Wednesday we're touring the French quarter, Thursday we're going to an alligator farm, not sure what we're doing Halloween, Saturday we'll be hitting the zoo before our flight out. I have no idea whether we'll have time for visiting but I hope so!

• 2 months later...

Whats New Orleans like in March / April? Anything cool that happens during those times?

I'm trying to decide between New Orleans and Big Bend National Park. I'm going to do both eventually, but whichever I do not pick for March/April will probably have to wait until the following Fall because both places are going to be blistering in the summer and I kind of want to make it a motorcycle trip, which I'd prefer to do when it isn't triple digits. I have never been to either place so I thought I'd prod a little in here before I decide.

Lol. You might have heard of Mardi Gras? :D

My first trip to NO was shortly after Mardi Gras but there was still all that bead-throwing shit going on. Disclaimer, I was 18 and thus a lot more tolerant of touristy crap than I am now so it might actually suck, but at the time I loved the place beyond all measure.

Well, I looked it up and Mardi Gras this year is in February, but I'm kind of inclined to avoid N.O. at Mardi Gras in any case. I think that, like you, I probably would have loved it in the age range of approximately 18-24 but would not enjoy it very much now. I do fully plan to get hammered in New Orleans, I just don't want to be amongst a million other drunks when I do it. :smoking:

The weather is PERFECT in early April. If you give me dates and a taste preference I can book you a NON-touristy weekend of events. Provided that you don't hate music or food. All of our 5 star musicians are in town between Mardi Gras and Jazzfest. The city lives.

Plus I live here.

The weather is PERFECT in early April. If you give me dates and a taste preference I can book you a NON-touristy weekend of events. Provided that you don't hate music or food. All of our 5 star musicians are in town between Mardi Gras and Jazzfest. The city lives.

Plus I live here.

That would be great! I do not hate music or food, in fact the quality of those things are what I like most about where I currently live (Austin TX). My work schedule is a bit weird so I won't know the exact dates for sure until closer to the time, but I should know a lot more in mid-Feb.

Honestly the major hang-up that has prevented me from making the 8-ish hour trip from here to New Orleans is Houston and / or the avoidance of Houston. It's right in the middle of where I am and where I want to visit. If it were a straight shot between Austin and New Orleans I probably would have done it months ago.

Plus I live here.

I'm glad you say the city still lives. I haven't been down to New Orleans since Katrina, when everyone and their brother came down from northern Louisiana to try and help with the damage. Glad to here from a native that our largest city is still open for business.

I'm glad you say the city still lives. I haven't been down to New Orleans since Katrina, when everyone and their brother came down from northern Louisiana to try and help with the damage. Glad to here from a native that our largest city is still open for business.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. My neighbors, friends and my tiny family would not be here without the support of our people. I could tell you the stories of 1000 fathers sleeping well just because fences were rebuilt, but I am sure you have heard them.

I hosted for the storm and came back in 2006. There would have been a wasteland were it not for our people helping out. You saw what the government offered and you brought us back. Thank you for that.

Thank You.

Edit: come visit.

yeah, march & april are great here, SJ. FQ festival is 9-12 april this year. it's smaller than MG or JF. as for avoiding houston, maybe just fly? or take the US 190 through huntsville, which will pop you on the north shore of lake pontchartrain eventually?

Archived