Tyrion dies of Greyscale? The books suggest so

Muggle

Below are some lines from all 5 books that foreshadow in my opinion that Tyrion is going to die from Greyscale

Tyrion Lannister was sitting on the ledge above the door to the Great Hall, looking for all the world like a gargoyle.

The gargoyles watched him ascend. Their eyes glowed red as hot coals in a brazier. Perhaps once they had been lions, but now they were twisted and grotesque. Bran could hear them whispering to each other in soft stone voices terrible to hear.

Not sure if this one counts but its pretty similar

Motionless as a gargoyle, Tyrion Lannister hunched on one knee atop a merlon.

“Yes. The gods have been kind to you, Sansa. You are a lovely girl. It seems almost obscene to squander such sweet innocence on that gargoyle.” “What gargoyle?” Sansa did not understand.

Cersi talking about Tyrion

“Bugger Joffrey, bugger the queen, and bugger that twisted little gargoyle she calls a brother.

Hound about Tyrion

“Your head may have glass eyes, but I do not. There are gargoyles on Dragonstone that look more like the Imp than this creature. He’s bald, and twice my brother’s age.

And the sight of me can only be salt in her wound. They hacked off her brother’s head in the hope that it was mine, yet here I sit like some bloody gargoyle, offering empty consolations.

Tyrion thinking to his self during a conversation with Penny

As far as i can tell most of us think that Tyrion is going to die a horrible death. In these passage Tyrion implies that getting greyscale is the absolute worst

“Wisdom from a duck,” said Haldon. “I beg your pardon, Yollo. You need not look so pale, I was only playing with you. The Prince of Sorrows does not bestow his grey kiss lightly.” His grey kiss. The thought made his flesh crawl. Death had lost its terror for Tyrion Lannister, but greyscale was another matter.

The stump of Tyrion’s nose was itching fiercely. He gave it a scratch. The old woman may be right. This place is no good. I feel as if I am back in the privy again, watching my father die. He would go mad as well if he had to spend his days in this grey soup whilst his flesh and bones turned to stone. Young Griff did not seem to share his misgivings.

So long as the pricks hurt, you are safe. It is only when you cannot feel the blade that you will have cause to fear.” Greyscale. Tyrion grimaced.

So, what do you guys think? Is greyscale the final end for our Little Lion of Lannister ?

He gets called "imp" a lot to but I don't think that means he is going to turn into a little demon from hell. I don't buy into this theory. Gargoyle is just a good name for him since he is malformed, ugly and small.

if he turned to stone he would be the perfect gargoyle

Many characters have "suffered enough" and Tyrion is certainly one of them.

Yet it might not stop Martin from piling some pittoresque disasters on top. Though I believe greyscale might be a red herring in Tyrion's case, the sword hanging over his head but the thread will problably not be cut. If Tyrion dies within the frame of the books it will be more spectacular, presenting this wonderful literary character until the very end.

Gargoyles have actually been designed not to represent evil but to scare evil spirits away, meant to symbolize purification - leading the water away from the stone - and protection in an impressive manner. Note that many craftsmen enjoyed putting a portrait of themselves as gargoyle on their building, At more hidden corners, giving them a small triumph over the patrons, those who did not have the competence but only the money.

So calling Tyrion a gargoyle, referring to being sinister and evil, is a rather superficial interpretation of those reinterpreted symbols of pre-christian religions, simply based on ugliness. And there is a trait in christianity and apparently in Westerosi religions as well (what are the Children of the Forest here?) where being malformed is identified with cursed by God, having no room under God's grace. While in many cultures dwarves or "fools" are seen as special, as messengers from the gods. And the tradition of gargoyles derives from that interpretation. Those sculptures represent spirits that protect, cleanse and support.

Interesting, but if he was a Targ wouldnt he be immune?

There are quite a large number of Targs throughout the history of aSoIaF who have gotten ill, sickened and died, which strongly suggests that Viserys was talking through his hat there. Which would of course fit right in with about almost everything he said, particularly about his supposedly innate superiority.

On topic, I think that in Tyrion's case, the threat is more effective than the execution from a literary perspective. So I don't think he will actually get Greyscale, but may spend a fair amount of time with the threat of the disease hanging over him.

Greyscale would certainly explain the "great stone beast taking wing from a smoking tower." If Tyrion is a Targ and if you take Beast to mean Dragon, that is.

I'd say this prophecy refers to John Connor, since he does suffer from greyscale (stone) and his sigil is a griffin (wings).

As to Tyrion, I think in the World of Ice and Fire App it said that he didn't catch the disease. If he did, they would have worded it like "It appears, as if..."

A few things:

1. Just because Tyrion hasn't contracted the disease yet does not mean that he won't. Remember Haldon telling him that he'll never be safe? Maybe the disease will never manifest, but Tyrion will have to prick his toes every day of his life.

2. GRRM has said that he likes to keep his readers in suspense as to whether his characters will live or die. The possibility that Tyrion will contract greyscale can keep readers guessing up to the final page as to whether Tyrion will die without actually needing to kill him off and can act as a shield against arguments that GRRM's made it too obvious Tyrion will live because he's so clearly GRRM's favourite. It's quite handy that way.

3. Even if Tyrion contracts the disease, that doesn't mean he's just going to roll over and let the disease kill him. Greyscale is more in the nature of a degenerative illness than a heart attack: greyscale can operate pretty slowly and take years to claim its victims. Just like a few who contract painful, terminal illnesses, Tyrion might choose to kill himself rather than let the disease do its work. Or, having contracted greyscale, he might be more inclined to choose death in battle or a suicide mission rather than live on with greyscale.

4. All indications are that Targs aren't immune to diseases (that's just Viserys' Targ propaganda, since the Great Spring Sickness claimed a fistful of Targs back in the day).

5. With that said, it does seem odd that JonCon, who was exposed the same time Tyrion was, has started manifesting symptoms of the disease, while Tyrion is still fine (for the moment). There are plot reasons for Tyrion to remain greyscale-free at the present time, of course, but it seems like an odd detail for GRRM to include, especially since JonCon could have started showing symptoms much further down the line without really changing anything plotwise. GRRM might want to lead the reader into a false sense of security about Tyrion's health (only to drop the greyscale hammer later on), or to impress upon the reader that Tyrion's risk of contracting greyscale is very real by showing its devastating effects on JonCon, but it seems like we're supposed to take notice of the fact that greyscale is already doing a number on JonCon while Tyrion remains unaffected. And I'm not saying I buy the Tyrion = Targ theory, but one reason for having JonCon start to show symptoms so early might be to make the reader start wondering why Tyrion isn't similarly affected, especially in a book where Dany remembers Viserys' Targ propaganda about Targ immunity to disease and where Tyrion is traipsing about without a care in the world while characters around him are dropping dead of the pale mare.

...Personally, I dunno whether Tyrion will contract greyscale, but if he does, it won't be the greyscale itself that kills him. It might be a motivation for him to do something so foolhardy and suicidal he would never do it were he healthy.

Archived