Small details you would like to know.

Black November

I think Jaime has seen a lot of awful things in his life like war (and all its atrocity), but that was in times of war or crisis of sorts so it was not shocking. He has also seen Aerys burn people, I suppose at the start Aerys burned people that were guilty of some crime (maybe it was not worth the burning but a crime nontheless) so that also was not shocking.

However Brandons supplice was IMO one of (if not the ) most cruel and awful things to happen in the books: it is horrible to roast a man in his armor and to make his son strangle himself to death watching that and trying to help. It had to be awfully hard to watch. Besides it was utterly unjustified: Brandon came to KL to claim the release of his sister who disappeared with Rhaegar, he was imprisoned and Rickard was summoned to answer fot his sons "crimes", he demanded a trial by combat (probably not being able to convince Mad Aerys to release his son) , Aerys declared Fire his champion ... It was pure madness, cruelty and horror.

And Jaime could not do a thing about it. I think at that precise moment he began to really see Aerys's madness, it was an important event in the evolution of his personality, before that Jaime was a young man ready to conquer the world with his sword and smile, after that he lost what little innocence was left in him, he definitely became an adult.

It also may be the fact that Jaime would have probably done the same thing that Brandon did if Cersei had been kidnapped.

What the hell are grumkins and snarks?

Are they, like, monsters or something? I just don't get it.

snarks are not dangerous - unless they are Boojums.

The bast source of information is the hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll. There is a discussion on the question on the Small Questions thread. I think it is version 10014 or 15 but I can't find it because I am on my phone

The world may not yet be ready for it.

-When did Ned Stark's mother die in relation to how old his siblings and him were at the time?

-Who were the Ned generation siblings closest to amongst each other? Like in the Robb generation, Arya and Jon are the closest (even though I am sure Robb would choose Jon as his favorite sibling)?

-How did Tywin propose to Joanna?

-Is Jaime's belief that Catelyn would have preferred to have married him over Ned when Brandon died based on anything other than vanity in regards to his looks?

-Why is Jaime so stuck on Brandon's strangulation? It seems like there were many burnings and horrific events under the Mad King, and yet that seems to be one of the ones that haunts Jaime the most. What was it about Brandon? Or was the event itself something that hit so close home?

-Why did Ned tell Arya that she would marry a King some day? When really her sister supposed to marry the prince, thus leaving Arya able to marry lords not a king. Some sort of GRRM hint, some strange thing for Jon, or Ned just wanting the best for his baby girl and just taking in the possibilities (like Joffrey dying and Tommen inheriting)? IDK, the line never sat exactly right with me- like is there something I should know here?

Could also be because Ned hated Jaime for killing Aerys even though he murdered his father and brother.

I think Jaime has seen a lot of awful things in his life like war (and all its atrocity), but that was in times of war or crisis of sorts so it was not shocking. He has also seen Aerys burn people, I suppose at the start Aerys burned people that were guilty of some crime (maybe it was not worth the burning but a crime nontheless) so that also was not shocking.

However Brandons supplice was IMO one of (if not the ) most cruel and awful things to happen in the books: it is horrible to roast a man in his armor and to make his son strangle himself to death watching that and trying to help. It had to be awfully hard to watch. Besides it was utterly unjustified: Brandon came to KL to claim the release of his sister who disappeared with Rhaegar, he was imprisoned and Rickard was summoned to answer fot his sons "crimes", he demanded a trial by combat (probably not being able to convince Mad Aerys to release his son) , Aerys declared Fire his champion ... It was pure madness, cruelty and horror.

And Jaime could not do a thing about it. I think at that precise moment he began to really see Aerys's madness, it was an important event in the evolution of his personality, before that Jaime was a young man ready to conquer the world with his sword and smile, after that he lost what little innocence was left in him, he definitely became an adult.

Good points. I figured that Aerys had already been seeing treason all around him and executing innocents before this point, but maybe Brandon and his father Rickard was the beginning. Brandon himself may have been even more horrible to watch because he was trying to save the person he loved, as you pointed out was burning in front of him. IDK, Jaime seemed more disturbed about Brandon than Rickard who really did nothing that I know of to actually go against the king other than King Aery's mad fears. Or maybe Brandon was the last draw?

It also may be the fact that Jaime would have probably done the same thing that Brandon did if Cersei had been kidnapped.

True. Jaime would have taken on anyone that stole Cersei. So Jaime could relate to Brandon, and maybe in a way Brandon was even a bit of Jaime's hero?

Could also be because Ned hated Jaime for killing Aerys even though he murdered his father and brother.

Yes, but I thought this one of the reasons Jaime was so upset that Ned could possibly hate him, almost like how can you not be as disturbed about Brandon's death as me attitude. In other words, Jaime as already very obsessively upset about Brandon's death, not in a reaction to Ned believing he did the wrong thing killing Aerys.

Who was the Kingsguard with whom Ashara Dayne danced at the Tourney at Harrenhal (Barristan, Arthur or someone else)?

I think it was either Arthur or Barristan.

I am sure when the story first came out most people assumed it was Arthur her brother. Now we find out Barristan was in love with Ashara so it could have easily been him.

It makes a lot of sense if it was Barristan. Martin throws out that she danced with a White Sword. No one thinks its a big deal. Then comes Dance, we realize that the White Sword may have been someone that we would never even have thought of.

I wonder what Tywin was like before Joanna died. How different would Westeros be if Tywin was that person instead of the um, person he was after the death of his wife.

What happened to the Stark who sailed west? Why did he go?

For that matter, what would have happened if Tywin had burned the Lannister fleet after his brother vanished on a quest to a strange land for a magic sword?

Good points. I figured that Aerys had already been seeing treason all around him and executing innocents before this point, but maybe Brandon and his father Rickard was the beginning. Brandon himself may have been even more horrible to watch because he was trying to save the person he loved, as you pointed out was burning in front of him. IDK, Jaime seemed more disturbed about Brandon than Rickard who really did nothing that I know of to actually go against the king other than King Aery's mad fears. Or maybe Brandon was the last draw?

True. Jaime would have taken on anyone that stole Cersei. So Jaime could relate to Brandon, and maybe in a way Brandon was even a bit of Jaime's hero?

Yes, but I thought this one of the reasons Jaime was so upset that Ned could possibly hate him, almost like how can you not be as disturbed about Brandon's death as me attitude. In other words, Jaime as already very obsessively upset about Brandon's death, not in a reaction to Ned believing he did the wrong thing killing Aerys.

Yeah, I think Aerys started burning people befre Brandons and Rickards death but this moment was the one when Jaime seen it, realy seen it for the first time. I mean he really saw the madness in Aerys.

Brandon may have been the most disturbing for Jaime yes, because he could have related to him and because it was so tragic, I mean Aerys made Brandon actually kill himself.

Archived