GOODKIND VI: THE PHANTOM MENACING

Werthead

I tried reading the Quote of the Day but just couldn't force myself to read all of it. The writing is so...lacking. No sense of prose, no rhythm, random exposition, clunky dialoges, bad metaphors - it's like copy for exercises of what not-to-do in a book on fiction writing.

And this greeted me in this mornings email. Barnes & Noble shat this steaming pile into my inbox. I'm still trying to remove the stains and lighting matches to clear the stench:

Phantom by Terry Goodkind

From its initial book, Wizard's First Rule, through its last installment, Chainfire, the bestselling Sword of Truth series has exhibited an originality that reaches beyond the borders of fantasy to thrill all fans of inventive fiction. Phantom, the 10th novel in Goodkind's compelling saga of Richard Cypher and Kahlan Amnell, finds Kahlan awakening on a day when the world is on the brink of annihilation — with no memory but her name.

List Price: $29.95 | Member Price with Coupon: $16.03

Actually, I thought Ron Jeremy IS the Sword of Truth...unless, of course, Randyll Tarly is.

Well, based on reputation, I suppose it could be said that Ron (not Ran) Jeremy has a Sword of Truth...

the bestselling Sword of Truth series has exhibited an originality that reaches beyond the borders of fantasy to thrill all fans of inventive fiction.

To be fair, that's sort of true...hilarity is thrilling :P

That QotD was quite the effort. Truly your stomach is made of sterner stuff than most people's, Mad Moose. And you're really going to read Phantom :shaking my head:

The things you do for love...

Anyway, maybe what we're failing to see is how this passage gave Richard the chance to once again establish his position of moral superiority over everyone else. I think that if we had the moral clarity, we would be able to understand the genius of that passage, and indeed to understand how it informs us of the human condition. Do you not understand what wisdom Terry Goodkind (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us) has decided to impart unto us? Yea, bow down and be grateful.

Dalton smiled. “Well, I’ve things to do, unless, of course, you wish to kill me.â€

Richard smiled at the man.

Was Richard's "thing" taking a coffee break? The guy admits to trying to have Kahlan killed and Richard is calm and reasonable? I realize however, that in Goodkind's mind, leaving the guy alive to die a slow painful death as the result of the STD probably fits his idea of "justice". Doesn't seem terribly consistent with Richard's character though.

You'd expect Richard to fly into a rage and kill the guy in some impossible manner, like ramming his hand down Daltons throat to rip his testicles out through his mouth. Thats the Richard we know and love.

Was Richard's "thing" taking a coffee break? The guy admits to trying to have Kahlan killed and Richard is calm and reasonable? I realize however, that in Goodkind's mind, leaving the guy alive to die a slow painful death as the result of the STD probably fits his idea of "justice". Doesn't seem terribly consistent with Richard's character though.

Well, he said he was sorry about it. Hard to have moral outrage after a half hearted apology. Espcially from a terminally ill beurocrat.

I suppose if I was a being of moral clarity I would be able to figure out why Richard had a boot to the jaw of a small child for threatening Kahlan and only a couple witty rejoinders for a man that had actually made an attempt on her life and deliberately infected 3 other people with a deadly STD. I suspect the answer would be something along the lines of Richard and Kahlan not being in immediate danger from this guy. And like a good Objectivist, Richard doesn't care if he leaves a evil man capable of doing more evil alive, as long as it doesn't effect him or Kahlan.

I've also got to comment on the name "Hildemara" :lol: It's like Goodkind realized he couldn't use "Hilary", didn't know any other female names starting with "H" and opened up a baby name book and settled on the first one he saw.

I think Richard didn't kill Dalton because his brain shut down. Since Dalton didn't immediately recognized that Richard is the One True Way he must lack moral clarity and be evil for evil's sake. However Richard knew he loved his wife and he did express regret for ordering the killing of Kahlen. He also warned Richard about healing her with magic.

Those aren't actions of someone that is evil for evil's sake. This seemingly mutli-dimensional motivation is alien to Richard's world concept. His brain must've short-circuted trying to process it and shutdown before it had a melt-down.

I'm sure once Richard recovers, he'll write it up as an evil commie trick. Then he'll be back to his own psychotic ways we all love.

I also had a worry last night. I realized that once Terry's minions take over the world, we are all going to be the first against the wall.

I also had a worry last night. I realized that once Terry's minions take over the world, we are all going to be the first against the wall.

Considering the general quality of entertainment in a TG controled world, would that be such a bad thing?

To be fair, that's sort of true...hilarity is thrilling :P

You should have seen the photo that came with the email. The power of the yeard was overpowering.

So...

Basically, in order to get his revenge on 'B.C', Dalton condemns himself and his wife - who we are told he genuinely loves, despite the fact that she is unbelievably naive - to an agonising death?

Couldn't he just have, you know, poisoned the guy or something? Was the additional irony really worth taking Teresa's life?

Thing is, you can't approach the Creator, never mind poison him :P

I actually enjoyed the evil fate those 3 got. I thought it was very creative :D OK, I also consider the Mord Sith to be a good bit of the books, so don't mind me :ninja:

What I find amazing about Dalton is that he eventually did right by Richard without Richard first having to build a huge statue demonstrating the nobility of the human spirit.

I would like to renew my request for Richards’s speech at the dissolving of the midlands in Blood of the Fold. True it doesn't have as much gore and rape (Well those slutty midland noblewomen are panting after him of course) as one might wish, but as a thought provoking example of how you handle those pesky eurocommies and their lack of moral clarity, in the fight against terrorism, it should warm every true objectivists heart.

I would like to renew my request for Richards’s speech at the dissolving of the midlands in Blood of the Fold. True it doesn't have as much gore and rape (Well those slutty midland noblewomen are panting after him of course) as one might wish, but as a thought provoking example of how you handle those pesky eurocommies and their lack of moral clarity, in the fight against terrorism, it should warm every true objectivists heart.

Now I'm all excited to hear what this may include. It's evening, but I've got a cup of decaf ready by my computer in case be get another quote. One of these days I'm going to find out of it my laptop is waterproof :)

This does actually sound like a truly thought-provoking speech. It sounds like another opportunity for Terry Goodkind (Blessed Be His Name, We Love How He Touches Us) to prepare us for the barbarians (or is it wolves) at the gate. Or do they have a knife at our throats? I can't remember now.

Phantom, the 10th novel in Goodkind's compelling saga of Richard Cypher and Kahlan Amnell, finds Kahlan awakening on a day when the world is on the brink of annihilation

Oh, no! Not again!

Phantom, the 10th novel in Goodkind's compelling saga of Richard Cypher and Kahlan Amnell, finds Kahlan awakening on a day when the world is on the brink of annihilation

She needs to stop going to sleep frankly.....

Oh, no! Not again!

So this is a recurring theme in the books, with the world being on the brink of annihilation and stuff?

I guess when you have that kind of conflict escalation it makes it kind of difficult to go back down again. Fighting something as simple and harmless as a seven-year-old girl, or a bunch of peaceful demonstrators really doesn't seem challenging when you're capable of saving or destroying the world. But maybe it makes your thing rise?

Archived