Form your Army

Ok, so the title pretty much sums it up. Pick whichever units in Game of Thrones universe. I'm just going to stipulate no White Walkers, stonemen, or other magical, undead, infected people. Also no. dragons, because, come on, they are a no brainer and kinda negate the formations of people.

Battle Commander: Robb Stark, he out foxed Tywin, and while Barristan, Ned, Robert, and company may have more experience, their records are not really well known. Robb showed great competence and was undefeated.

Foot:

Commander: Randyll Tarly, he is very highly regarded as a solider. He also seems to keep his men in line.

Army: the unsullied, again, very highly regarded, very disciplined, and would beat the pants off of a large group of commoners that are just given swords, spears, and other misc weapons.

Cavalry:

Commander: Robb, I really like his strategy he used in the Westerlands and the Whispering Woods.

Army: Dothraki- the light cavalry

Knights- the heavy cavalry

Elephants- super heavy cavalry

Navy:

Commander: Stannis

Fleet: Iron Fleet, used correctly, I prefer speed over the strength if an individual ship.

Ok,

Robb for Battle Commander and to Lead the Cavalry-an undefeated military prodigy, charismatic, bold, and Grey Wind could apparently scare the hell out of opposing cavalry and footmen.

I want Barristan Selmy to lead one of the charges as well; and of course Barristan is in charge of training.

Infantry/Foot Soldiers-Randyll Tarly takes the lead. The Unsullied will be the army.

Blackfish and Bronn are both needless to say high ranking officers in charge of different battalions.

Dothraki-among the Cavalry and captains.

For the Naval Fleet, I want Paxter Redwyne, Davos Seaworth, and Asha Greyjoy.

Any territory we need to hold in a siege, Stannis is the man for the job.

And Arya Stark as my official assassin/spy.

Scout Commander- Blackfish Tully, perfect record.

Archer/Crossbow Commander- Black Balaq, another perfect record.

Regular Infantry Commander- Randyll Tarly, hard and eficient.

Irregular Infantry/skirmishers- Gregor Clegane, he scares the bejesus of the enemy.

Light Cavalary Commander- Robb Stark, he clearly knows how to bait.

Heavy Cavalary Commander- Robert Baratheon, for max impact.

Marine infantry Commander- Victarion Greyjoy, it's his thing.

Fleet Commander- Stannis Baratheon, methodical planner.

I would prefer Westermen/Reachlanders for heavy cavalary, Ironborn for marine infantry/sailors, Unsullied/Dornish for regular infantry, Stormlanders/Northmen for irregular infantry and archers and Riverlanders/Dornish for light cavalary.

Marshal of the entire army: Blood Raven. This guy has seen the past, can get information from the future, use animals to spy. Sorry guys but he beats all other commanders hands down. You said no magical stuff but I assume you just mean units not leaders.

|

Regular infantry commander: Barristan Selmy. He'll inspire the troops on the field and is a capable leader.

|

Skirmisher infantry commander: Mance Rayder. The guy is an expert on hit and run tactics.

|

Archers: Jon Snow. He's got experience so why not.

|

Cavalry commander: Robb Stark. He's a pretty crafty commander so it only makes sense.

Infantry

We will have dismounted knights and the rest will be Lannister Men At Arms.

Skirmishers

Wildling warriors will be great for this.

Foot Archers

Wildling warriors should be good. They rely on the bow for food everyday so they should be pretty damn good archers. We'll have to equip them with Iron arrow heads though.

Cavalry

It'l be a mix of Dothraki Horse archers and Knight's from the Vale.

composition: two divisions of horse supplemented by a division of light infantry and a royal guard

royal companions; the city watch commanded by the knights of the kingsguard. they play the dual role of bodyguards and shock troops.

lord commander loras tyrell; master at arms jaime lannister

div I is three brigades of rangers as from the night's watch. they're a highly mobile force capable of fighting mounted or on foot, and trained as archers. a few hundred builders are included to build fortified camps &c

command- robb stark; master-at-arms barristan selmy. robb is an expert tactician, but he needs an experienced advisor to assist him.

div II is another brigade from the night's watch and two of dothraki. the dothraki are employed as charge cavalry or held in reserve.

command- robert baratheon because who else to lead a charge?

executive officer- ned stark; they were meant to always be together

div III comprised of free folk and a small force of crannogmen. the wildlings will be issued proper weapons, but are otherwise outfitted in accordance with clan tradition. they're a classic combined-arms force.

crannogmen are amphibious troops and accustomed to difficult terrain. they're basically green berets

general- the blackfish; commandant- stannis baratheon (won't tolerate your shit, wildlings)

Anytime you start trying to unify armies from different cultures there will be conflicts and miscommunication. The Golden Company is already a unified force with a great diversity of types of forces, they appear to be loyal, they're all professional disciplined soldiers with experience, plus they have elephants. I'd take them and that's all I'd need.

Following your outline

Battle Commander: Jon Connington

Foot:
Commander: Robert Baratheon
Army: Whatever pikemen I can find in large abundance (Unsullied seem too unarmoured for a fight in Westeros)

Cavalry:
Commander: Gregor Clegane
Army: The Bloody Mummers
Heavy Horse of the Reach

Navy:
Commander: Stannis Baratheon
Fleet: The Volantene Fleet

Oh boy. Let me find that post from an old thread:

This is the army I'd love to see go south. Made up of Stannis' Knights, remaining Northern and River lords. Hill clans and crannogmen. The best of the Vale's fighting men (leaving enough to defend the vale and fight Mountain Clans). Remnants of the BWB and Braavosi sellswords.

Roles
-1st in command general of the army- Stannis Baratheon, experienced commander and true king of Westeros
-2nd in command - "Bronze" Yohn Royce - in command of the largest group of soldiers, fresh Knights and foot from the Vale. Experienced fighter and General. Loyal to house Stark.
-cavalry commander - Wyllis Manderly/Brynden "Blackfish" Tully, the remaining Northern cavalry are Manderly's, Blackfish leads the Knights of the Vale and Riverlands cavalry
-leader of the left - Mors "Crowfood" Umbar - with Northern soldiers and Hill Clans
-leader of the center - "Bronze" Yohn Royce - The majority of the centre are formed from men from the Vale, because they're fresh and well equipped, but also of mixed experience.
-leader of the right - Lord Tytos Blackwood - Last of the Riverlords to bend the knee to the Lannisters. Leading the few remaing Rivermen, reformed BWB and broken Northmen who've been gathered up. Bolstered by the Dragonstone foot and Sellswords.
-leader of the reserve - Stannis Baratheon - Able to issue orders but still engage and inspire his men at the right moment. Leading the remounted Knights from Dragonstone and a portion of the cavalry
-head archer - Justin Massey (with Anguy advising) - the commander of the archers doesn't have to be an archer, just a smart man with a level head. Anguy can help him calculating distances. With Braavosis archers and crossbowmen.

Line of march
-commander of the vanguard - Clayton Suggs - A cruel man, but brave and competent. Largely expendable too if ambushed.
-commander if the rear guard - Howland Reed - The Crannogmen are likely to be walking anyway. Knows how to fight guerilla warfare
-chief scout - The Flint. An experienced tracker and scout. Chosen over Liddles and Wulls, because of the Flint connection (Widows Watch and Fingers) to other houses.

Overall Commander - Tywin Lannister (cause no one deals with the big picture like him

Commander of Outriders - Brynden Tully (makes a fine work in WoFK)

Commander of the Vanguard - Two-handed Jaime Lannister OR Robb Stark (either of them would do)

Right Flanks - Randal Tarly (good and solid soldier)

Center - Kevan Lannister (needs to solid and dependable and not go glory hunting)

Left Flank - Robert Baratheon (good fight and leader)

Reserves: Stannis Baratheon (at least I think that he'll be the type to obey orders and not rush off needlessly)

Okay: An Army of 80,000 men, and 110 ships in my fleet:

War Commander: Stannis Baratheon

War Council: Stannis, Tywin Lannister, Randyll Tarly, Jamie Lannister Yohn Rocye, Obryen Martell (Red Viper), Euron Greyjoy and Roose Bolton and Blackfish.

DIVISIONS:

• Knights (Foot) 12,000 men: Commander Jamie Lannister
  • Mounted Knights: 8000 men - Commander - Yohn Royce
  • Calvary (Vanguard): 10,000 men - Commander - Randyll Tarly
  • Mounted Lanced (Reserve): 5000 men - Commander - Beric Dondarrion
  • Foot (Swordsmen/Shield): 25,000 men - Blackfish & Nestor Royce
  • Foot (Spearmen): 12,000 men - Red Viper
  • Ranged (Bowmen): 8000 men - Roose Bolton (Strategy) and Balon Swann

Stannis: Overall Commander

Tywin: Commander of Center

Right Flank: Yohn Royce

Left Flank: Jamie Lannister

Commander of Fleet: Euron Greyjoy

Since we are going with the whole iaf universe I would have to go with the Raven's Teeth for my archers and I would stick Mad Danelle Lothston on the front line just to distract the other side while the Unsullied cut them to pieces, and if I couldn't have Bloodraven in charge of the whole thing I would at least have him as head of intel.

Robb's direwolf ridin' warg army would be fun to see too. :)

I'd say 4,000 knights and other heavy cavalry, with the rest split between archers and dismounted men at arms/pikemen, presuming an army size of 10,000, there would be a negligable amount of light cavalry, who wouldn't really fight in battle anyway.

Brynden Rivers would lead the archers (obviously) who would comprise of the Raven's Teeth, with the remainder being Stormlanders (Stormlanders are implied to be good archers: Anguy and Ser Balon Swann).

Robb Stark would lead the heavy horse, since he performed so well in the War of 5 kings, I don't really know where the cavalry should be drawn from.

I have no idea who should lead the foot, but Ser Kevan Lannister is mentioned to be an excellent commander of pikemen, so I'd pick him. The westerlands is mentioned to have extremely skilled pikemen so that's where the pikemen would come from.

Brynden Tully would lead the outriders.

Stannis would be the naval commander, the Royal fleet would be best.

Overall I'd give the command to Tywin Lannister, but a command should definitely go to Tarly.

Overall strategic commander: Eddard Stark (a steady, tough, smart guy on the military side, and let's not forget, he lost no battles)

Main cavalry force: Robb Stark (heavy)

Light cavalry force / foragers / mobile archers: Khal Drogo (leading his Dothraki)

Outriders / scouting: The Blackfish

Deep scouting / infiltration / special ops : Mance Rayder (the man was able to sneak into Winterfell when the King was visiting and the First Ranger of the watch)

Archers: Black Balaq (leading a mix of Summer Islanders and Dornish)

Regular foot: Oberyn Martell (leading a force of Unsullied)

Vanguard: Robert Baratheon (say what you want about him, he was huge and fierce and gave zero fucks about danger)

Rearguard / fortress defense: Barristan Selmy

War production, engineering, & logistics: Tyrion Lannister

Military academy / training: Stannis Baratheon (oh, these troops will be very disciplined)

Naval command (ships only): Davos Seaworth

Naval troops / marines: Victarion Greyjoy

It is not certain these formations would remain as-is, but as a general rule, each commanders brings a certain quality to their type of mission. Depending on the circumstances, of course, some may be added or repoved, some units scattered, or combined, etc.

Stannis for everything. Best commander in the series.

Tywin hasn't really done shit; failed to match Robb Stark if anything, didn't know about a vital trail into one of his own territories and his greatest achievements are killing off smaller Houses using the strength of the Westerlands to outnumber them.

I had forgotten about the Vanguard and Scouts.

Vanguard would be led by Robert Baratheon

Scouts by Mance

You guys nailed the reasons too, they are perfect for the roles.

My war council would be: Robb Stark, Randyll Tarly, Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Barristan Selmy, Jon Snow, Black Fish, Mance, Kevan Lannister, and Grey Worm

I would want Ned in Charge

Robb in Charge of the Calvary (having warg and direwolf in your calvalry helps)

Blackfish in charge of my scouts.

I want Roose Bolton in the Vanguard (put the people I don't care about in the Van)

Right Flank I would Benjen Stark (if never joined the NW)

Left Flank ( Great Jon)

The Same personally guards for Ned that Robb had except throw Jon Snow in with Ghost.

Lets say a few of the free cites attack Westeros and King Robert Baratheon calls his army.

Generals: Eddard Stark 35,000, Tywin Lannister 50,000, Stannis Baratheon 25,000, Oberyn Martell 25,000, Yohn Royce 35,000, Edmure Tully 45,000, Mace Tyrell 100,000 redwyne fleet 200, Barristan Selmy 15,000, Balon Greyjoy 500 ships 15,000

Northern Army 35,000 strong

Main force under Ned 26,000 Northmen

Cavalry: Harwin, Theon Grayjoy 7,000

Vanguard: GreatJon Umber 6,000

Left: Rickard Karstark 3,000

Right: Roose Bolton 3,000

Rear/Reserve: Ned 3,000

Archers: Helman Tallhart 2,000

Outriders/Scouts: Howland Reed 2,000

Northern Fleet: 20 warships Wylis Manderly

Second force under Robb Stark 9,000 Northmen all Mounted with Gray Wind and Ghost

Jon Snow, SmallJon Umber, Jory Cassel, Wendel Manderly, Dacey Mormont, Daryn Hornwood, Harrion, Torrhen, and Eddard Karstark all guard Robb.

Galbart, and Robett Glover, Rodrik Cassel, Donnel Locke, Leobald Tallhart, Kyle Condon, Owen Norrey, Torren Liddle, and Donnel Flint all lead mounted units

Western Army 50,000 strong

Main force under Tywin 30,000 Westermen

Cavalry: Vylaar 10,000

Vanguard: Kevin Lannister 6,000

Left: Adam Marbrand 4,000

Right: Gregor Clegane 4,000

Rear/Reserve: Tywin Lannister 3,000

Archers: Manfryd Yew 1,500

Outriders/Scouts: Amory Lorch 1,500

Western Fleet: 50 warships under Stafford Lannister

Second force under Jaime Lannister 20,000 Westermen

Cavalry: Jaime Lannister 7,000