GOODKIND VII, The sword of truthiness

You know something? I just checked wiki and they have no entry for the word "yeard," and yet they have copius info on afros and mullets. Now, as I said before I do not support drive-by edits on wiki or any sort of vandalism, but at the rate we are using "yeard" does anyone think it should now qualify as a real word? What is wiki's policy on the incorporation of new words and terms that may have recently popped into existence?

I have down a cursory search on google and the only really substantial information I could find on the yeard was at the Urban Dictionary. Looking at some of their other entries, I am forced to concluded that the urban dictionary might not be the best place to footnote if someone on wiki demands a citation to the word "yeard."

Now, I don't know much about the policies on wiki, but I am guessing that an entry for "yeard" may be sadly premature. However, I would suggest, nay plead with the readers on this thread to use the word "yeard" in real life, whenever possible. Try and shoehorn a yeard into every conversation. If you frequent any other forums maybe you can try and insert the term into your posts.

Now, I don't want to suggest anything improper, but if any of the lovely ladies on this forum happen to know any of the editors for Webster's Dictionary or the Encyclopedia Britannica, maybe you could use your feminine wiles to "convince" them to add the word to the next edition. And ditto for the male half of our forum. It would be unfair to force the women to shoulder the entire burden so if you happen know of or meet any female editors for the above books, you know, don't be hesitant about manwhoring yourself out to them. It will be for a good cause.

Yeah, I was actually the one who submitted "yeard" to UrbanDictionary. I've been using it in real life conversations quite frequently, too. It really is a great word.

Unfortunately, it's really ruined the idea of having a beard and a ponytail for me. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at someone with one again without laughing. It's a shame, too. I wear my hair in a ponytail a lot and I was actually considering growing out a beard for a while, but I really don't feel like waking up every morning, walking over to the mirror still half asleep, looking at my reflection, and having Terry Goodkind immediately pop into my head. That would be a horrible way to start a day.

You want to know what makes me sad?

I HAVE A YEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hark, you are cool! :)

I am searching my memory but I don't think I've ever really known anyone with a yeard in real life. The only examples I can think of are His Greatness, Terry Goodkind himself and Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons.

A question for you Hark: can you sense when another person with a yeard is in close proximity, sort of like the Immortals in the Highlander series? And, if you can, do you engage in a brutal swordfight wherein the victor will absorb the lifeforce of the loser? Can there be Only One?

Oh, and Kudos to Mr. Smash! Reading that Urban Dictionary entry brought a smile to my face.

Uhm... Stalin did what he did to prepare the country to a coming World War, and I think people don't realize that under Stalin's rule only 800000 people were executed, this number includes the war years with traitors and deserters.

Source, please. Or are you forgetting the people who died during the famines, deportations, etc.? Also, Stalin was the one who deprived the Red Army from the most capable generals and any flexibility it had - just a few years prior to the war...

As to the last QotD, it is a masterpiece. Honestly, I do not know whether I should :rofl: or :sick:

A google search for "yeard" also yields this page on the family crest of the Yeard family. Apparently, their family motto is "deeds not words." Could this be a subtle way of saying "give the goddamn 20 page speeches a rest and get on with the action?"

It really is a shame that Goodkind had to ruin yeards for the rest of us, though. When I first looked at his picture, I thought he looked rather ridiculous, but it was something that was exclusive to him. Now that that term has been invented, though, I just can't help but lump everyone else who has a yeard in with him.

A question for you Hark: can you sense when another person with a yeard is in close proximity, sort of like the Immortals in the Highlander series? And, if you can, do you engage in a brutal swordfight wherein the victor will absorb the lifeforce of the loser? Can there be Only One?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

When yearded ones are unfortunate enough to cross paths, we stoically stare at each other while clenching our jaws through the tangles of bristle, arms crossed and knuckles poking into our biceps to make them seem more paumped aup.

The only people with a stronger affinity for each other are The People of the Mullet.

(achy breaky)

Actually, the references to Simmons seem quite apt. I wonder what Stego will make of this? He gave Simmons a real work-over over his statements, and this seems much worse.

PS Approaching the end of the topic. Suggested subtitles for VIII?

Goodkind VIII, the Phantom of the soap Opera

Ecchi;

Uhm... Stalin did what he did to prepare the country to a coming World War, and I think people don't realize that under Stalin's rule only 800000 people were executed, this number includes the war years with traitors and deserters.

Stalin openly admitted to destroying millions of his own people (well, Ukranians mainly), condemning them to starvation for the sake of catching up to the modern nations and a brilliant new future for the Soviet People. I guess he was a little lacking in moral clarity.

What do you mean 'a little lacking in moral clarity'? We all know that the Ukrainians are teh evil, thus killing Ukrainians is certainly a sign of moral clarity. But then he went on to kill a lot of Germans in his fight against the even more morally clear Nazi Germany...

Colour me confused.

Horror beyond horrors. Not only do I have a beard and long hair (not quite long enough for a ponytail just yet, but that's what I'm aiming for). I also dress all in black.

Is there any chance that we in the beard-ponytail-and-black-clothes crowd can, I don't know, disown Goodkind? He's a disgrace for black-clad weirdos everywhere! :mad:

You know, I never associated TG(BBHN)'s yeard with the hairstyles of my similarly bearded & long-haired mates, until now... could a definition of "yeard" not include combing & neatness, so as to exclude those hairy bikers from the stigma?

“It’s a dream come true to work with someone of such remarkable vision, talent and ability,†Goodkind said in a statement released today. “Given Sam’s sincere love for these stories and his determination to only make great films, this mini series will be a watershed event.â€

I really really hope Sam Raimi and Producer Guy are having him on and are only buying the movie rights so that no one else can make a movie out of it, or turn it into some sort of comedy.

And seeing as how Raimi is responsible for Evil Dead, I think there's a high chance of the latter.

Maybe it is life imitating art. In the same way that in the Producers they adapted Springtime For Hitler in Germany in order to make the worst production possible and lose money, perhaps Raimi will do the same with the Yearded One's works. Imagine it featuring song and dance numbers.

I think they should let Paul Verhoeven do the Starship Troopers treatment on it. Goodkind strikes me as the kind of guy that wouldn't have realised that that was tongue in cheek, and would have cheered on the blonde, blue-eyed hero fighting the evil bugs by whatever means necessary.

Ecchi;

Stalin openly admitted to destroying millions of his own people (well, Ukranians mainly), condemning them to starvation for the sake of catching up to the modern nations and a brilliant new future for the Soviet People. I guess he was a little lacking in moral clarity.

Maybe but he did the only thing available to him at the time. Or would you preffer Hitler rolling over deindustrilized USSR and gaining its resources? As to openly admitted that's complete BS.

Source, please. Or are you forgetting the people who died during the famines, deportations, etc.? Also, Stalin was the one who deprived the Red Army from the most capable generals and any flexibility it had - just a few years prior to the war...

As to the last QotD, it is a masterpiece. Honestly, I do not know whether I should :rofl: or :sick:

FSB archives on that period, opened to western historians too btw. As to most capable generals:well Blucher was a drunk idiot and only intervention by Zhukov saved Russian Far East from being overrun by Japanese in late 30s, Tuhachevskiy was possibly a traitor there're some facts showing that he had connections in Great Britain and needless to say it was Great Britain that allowed Hitler to eat Czechoslovakia in 1938 with a bone thrown to Polland. Yes Polland was an aggressor nation too in 38 something conviniently forgotten after the war. As to famine in Ukraine well it was a tragic quincedence: several factors led to it and none of them were preplanned. BTW the damage the famine did is greatly exagerated by modern politians.

Machiavelli politics. ;) The end justifies the means.

Gotta love it.

Almost. The USSR didn't have enough time. The original plans for industrialization stated that it would be complete by early 50's. Unfortunatelly the european politcs forced it to be accelerated at the cost of lives. And the war Germany waged in Russia was very different from the one in Europe; let's just say that out of 20 million or so dead in USSR 12.8 were civilians in occupied territories.

Ecchi - I don't really understand why you're defending Stalin. Yes, he helped to defeat Hitler, yay and all that, but then went on to continue murdering thousands, if not millions of his people. Whether the number is 800K or 20 million, he's still a mass-murdering dictator; it is undisputed that many, many of his victims were just political dissidents or intellectuals, not just "traitors and deserters."

Ecchi - I don't really understand why you're defending Stalin. Yes, he helped to defeat Hitler, yay and all that, but then went on to continue murdering thousands, if not millions of his people. Whether the number is 800K or 20 million, he's still a mass-murdering dictator; it is undisputed that many, many of his victims were just political dissidents or intellectuals, not just "traitors and deserters."

Political dissention during war means treason. Don't forget the war was for very survival. As to defending him I don't defend him, I just point to you that the actions he took were the ones that he considered to be the only available to him, btw his son died in german POV camp because he refused to exchange him for one of the top german generals. Oh and he didn't HELP defeat Hitler he DEFEATED Hitler. As to "great" allies all they could do was bombing defencless cities. Oh and look up information on operation "Unthinkable" drawn by Churchil. Also a good read is Churchil's speech about Stalin after the war when UK and USSR were enemies once again.

Archived