TWOP/PTV Unsullied Thread, Part VII: [Book & Show Spoilers]

Independent George

Actually, their TWoP mod was not a Bookwalker, knew nothing about the books. He was a med student, earning a bit of $$ and they loved him, but he had other shows to mod there, as well as GoT. (As well as attending medical school, of course.)

Somewhere in the whole huge world-wide GoT universe, there is a place that can keep The Unsullied safe, alone in their small group, safe from attack, discussing every crumb of GoT. Just haven't found it yet, alas.

That place is clearly here, it seems to me. I've never seen such dedication to another fanbase, and I see in this one. In just a few pages, this thread holds more than enought people who are willing to do the required police work to protect them. We care almost as much as them, about losing their home and I think that's more than enough motive to try. With the increased traffic, maybe this website could introduce ads? I dunno, just an idea.

That place is clearly here, it seems to me. I've never seen such dedication to another fanbase, and I see in this one. In just a few pages, this thread holds more than enought people who are willing to do the required police work to protect them. We care almost as much as them, about losing their home and I think that's more than enough motive to try. With the increased traffic, maybe this website could introduce ads? I dunno, just an idea.

A lovely idea, and Ran very kindly offered to help out back when TWoP announced that it was shutting down. The problem is that some of the Unsullied members, I'd say most of their members, are pretty fanatically averse to even getting near any site that knows and talks about the books. TWoP was a TV-oriented site, as is PTV. And of course, most TV programs don't have two distinct fan bases, a Book base and a Show base. GoT is pretty unique in that regard. PTV is allowing us Bookwalkers to have some Book Spoiler threads there, and already there's a bit of sniping back and forth about who can post what and where.

At any rate, Admin at PTV is trying to put together some sort of sub-forum for them, and as a fall back position, they'll have the site that Skywarpgold is kindly creating for them, which will be all their own. There, they can Mod things, pin things, lock things, all as they choose.

A completely dedicated place would appear to be the option. Any new existing place they go to immediately attracts the attention of hoards of new people who are tainted in various ways. The downside is that new blood who are genuinely unsullied would be unlikely to find them. Although, I suspect there are legions of Unsullied who stay right away from the internet at all anyway (I know one - a reader who is moving very slowly, he knows zero about the show and never seen so much as a single gif).

Having them here should be the fallback of last resort. The temptation would be too much. Just look at the news links on the side bar:

Game of Thrones Gets 2 Year Renewal

Game of Thrones Smashes Ratings Record

Two Swords Recap and Analysis

Discussing the New Excerpt

Season 4 Impressions

ImagineFX Releases Game of Thrones-inspired Issue

BBC One Looking for Cosplayers

Featurettes in HD

New Chapter From The Winds of Winter

UK to Simulcast Game of Thrones

All it would take is one wrong click any time in the next 4 years.

Desmond, so true. And it's not only at any given board that spoilers creep in. I mean, think about what a phenom GoT is--people at work talking about what happened in a recent episode, people on the train chatting about it, Bookwalkers in restaurants, ads and previews at the conclusion of other shows. its everywhere. And for the Unsullied, their particular joy is in discovering, extrapolating and speculating from Within The Four Walls of The Show, period. From their perspective, they have to cover their ears and start yelling 'LALALALALALA' every time Game of Thrones is mentioned anywhere. That's what pisses so many of us off, who enjoy their thread. I particularly notice that this short time they've been at PTV, nearly all the brand-new, out-of-nowhere posters in that thread just joined 10 minutes ago. So, they registered at PTV specifically to post in that thread. What those fakeUnsullied don't realize is that the site has an 'ignore' feature, and that the regulars simply add them to the 'ignore' list, don't even see their posts.

This all reminds me of back in the Harry Potter days when excited kids were lined up with their parents at bookstores for midnight release of 'Half-Blood Prince,' and carloads of teenagers were driving up and down the street yelling 'Snape Kills Dumbledore! Snape Kills Dumbledore!' Assholes.

A completely dedicated place would appear to be the option. Any new existing place they go to immediately attracts the attention of hoards of new people who are tainted in various ways. The downside is that new blood who are genuinely unsullied would be unlikely to find them. Although, I suspect there are legions of Unsullied who stay right away from the internet at all anyway (I know one - a reader who is moving very slowly, he knows zero about the show and never seen so much as a single gif).

I agree it might be difficult for new Unsullieds to find them if they move to the forum I set up, but if it gets as much traffic from us reading them, and we have good enough META tags on the site, it should come back in Google searches after a while. If it does go this way, I'd have to ask for help from you all to help moderate if you can. But that is a discussion for a different day.

I jokingly suggested that they should name their new site House Unsullied. Which of course means they'd need House 'words' and a sigil. Any suggestions from the bright minds here?

These would just be among ourselves, of course, not passed on to them. Let them find their own, that's the fun of watching them!

ETA: Just realized I'm getting close to 3,000 posts. That's truly scary, I need to get a life.

I jokingly suggested that they should name their new site House Unsullied. Which of course means they'd need House 'words' and a sigil. Any suggestions from the bright minds here?

These would just be among ourselves, of course, not passed on to them. Let them find their own, that's the fun of watching them!

ETA: Just realized I'm getting close to 3,000 posts. That's truly scary, I need to get a life.

Be happy that you only have 3,000 posts. I saw a guy on another forum the other day with a registration date of 2010 and had 200,000+ posts.

Be happy that you only have 3,000 posts. I saw a guy on another forum the other day with a registration date of 2010 and had 200,000+ posts.

Seven hells, that's terrifying. :P

So...

House Unsullied

Location: A fog-shrouded island off the coast of The Reach. There are legends claiming it exists, but no living person is known to have actually found it.

House Words: LaLaLaLaLaLaLa

Sigil:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/joliefaire/3monkeys.gif

On topic, its interesting that they've focused in on the Doom of Valarya and what it is/meant re magic in the world. But seriously, I'm surprised, a bit shocked, they didn't focus their laser beams on Chekov's Necklace. Dontos suddenly appeared out of nowhere, after all this time, and presented Sansa with a necklace. What? Why? I think they're feeling so hunted, hounded (as one of them explained it) that they're drawing back. They know now how famous they are in the GoT universe (one of them said she's envisioning SIr Richard Attenborough whispering to the camera "And here we see the obscure, mysterious Unsullied tribe...") A shame, really. The more everybody can just leave them alone, the more enjoyment we'll all have.

I have also been mulling over the Sword Birthing scene and Jaime's reaction to it, and Jaime said something about a "Doom". So I went back and found this...

Jaime: No one has made a Valyrian steel sword since the Doom of Valyria. (S4 Ep1)

Scrabble Face Woman in Qarth: (While painting on a man's back) This man must sail past Old Valyria; all who travel too close to the Doom must have protection. (S2 Ep7)

Maybe this was discussed before, but, The Doom; place, event, or both? I guess in our world it might be like someone saying "since Pearl Harbor" as shorthand for the entry of the US into WW2 in 1941, even though it is also a place? If it was an event, could it have been the reason the dragons started to get smaller and smaller? Maybe the reason "magic" retreated from this world? Like Valyria was somehow the source of magic, and something destroyed it? But it is still somehow threatening to humans (physically, mentally, spiritually, or...); otherwise why would Facedown Dude need calligraphy on his back? So many questions...

Looks like the forum thing is sorted now, PTV are putting up a subforum, that will be invite/request only. Presumably that'll include moderated posts for new members and immediate bans (from subforum) for any book walker that get busted.

Glad to hear there is a (hopefully permanent) solution in sight for these folks. It's the Internet, so there are just a lot of douchbags out there who want to meddle with them, it's sad but not surprising.

Back to discussion, i am really looking forward to the reveal that not only is Lysa willing to marry Littlefinger, she's eager to. And everything that flows from there, ending of course with "Only Cat". I absolutely cannot wait until that all goes down... will be fascinating to see the reactions.

I can't quote it on my phone, but one of the Unsullied decided to write up his own version Jaime's entry in the White Book. It's utterly hilarious.

Here it is. So clever! Lefty Lannister, hahahaha...

Ser Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer, also known as Ser Lefty or Lefty Lannister.

Although one of the finest swordsmen of his age, Ser Jaime is perhaps as well known for his contributions to science as to swordsmanship.

As a child, Ser Jaime discovered that he fell down into the water when he jumped off the cliffs of Casterly Rock. After learning that the Old Gods held sway in the North and not the New, Jaime was keen to know how different gods affected the rate at which he fell down. Unfortunately, Ser Jaimie had grown to manhood by the time he had a chance to visit the North. So, on a visit to Winterfell, Ser Jaime selected an object that was approximately the same size as he during his childhood cliff jumping experiment and pushed it out of a tall window. Publication of Ser Jaime's results "Old Gods or New: Shit Falls Down All The Same" has been delayed due to the War of the Five Kings, but is currently being peer reviewed by Qyburn and Grand Maester Pycelle.

While still serving as Ser Barristan Selmy's squire, Jaime Lannister discovered that a decapitated head cannot speak, and thus is incapable of saying any last words. This advancement in neuroscience, as much as his bravery against the Kingswood bandits, led to Jaime Lannister's knighthood and appointment to the Kingsguard.

Ser Jamie has always been strongly conscious of the ethical implications of scientific experiments, and has never been one to pursue scientific knowledge regardless of the cost. During the last days of King Aerys, Ser Jaime decided not to participate in the King's study of who, or what, is fireproof in Kings's Landing (recalling that one of the King's ancestors, Aireon Brightflame, died drinking wildfire). Unfortunately, in his zeal to prevent the experiment, Ser Jaime's sword found its way into the King's back, thereby leading to Ser Jaimie's unfortunate nickname. Understanding that, had the experiment taken place and King Aerys not been incombustible, King Aerys would have died anyway, King Robert Baratheon pardoned Ser Jaimie and permitted Ser Jaime to continue his work.

During the reign of King Robert, Ser Jaime developed an interest in genetics. As a result of several experiments, Ser Jaime conclusively proved that the gene for blond hair is recessive. Ser Jaime's results were initially met with indifference or skepticism, but over time became widely accepted, although a few last hold outs refuse to acknowledge the truth, at least publically. Ser Jaimie's research was also notable in that, like many great scientists, he was willing to use himself as a test subject and not merely place the risk on others.

Ser Jaime's thoughts returned to neuroscience when, during a sojourn in Riverlands, a Bolton bannerman aware of Ser Jaime's reputation misinterpreted Ser Jaime's offer for the Lannisters to give him a hand in the war. Although Ser Jaime's hand was initially saved, Ser Jaime was unable to re-attach it. On the bright side, this led Ser Jaime to a new found interest in prosthetics, and he is currently thinking about the appropriate shape and material for a prosthetic hand. And although Ser Jaime has long known that Lannisters don't shit gold, he is now keen to determine if they can wipe with it.

For those StanStans who think that D&D have butchered Show Stannis beyond recognition, I submit the Unsullied viewer who is a TOTAL STANSTAN:

Oh, and Stannis' story is not over, it is just getting started! He IS the Rightful King, is a total badass, and hates people I hate (Joffrey, Balon) with a deep, burning (ha!) passion. He is the chosen of the Lord of Light, and I will hear nothing contradictory on the subject.

Archived