TWOP/PTV Unsullied Thread, Part VII: [Book & Show Spoilers]

Independent George

From Neogaf:

yea the shot of the pie was meant to show there were dead doves inside it

as in joffrey is such a fucking asshole he can't even cut a cake without killing something

Hahaha. :D

Oh, just noticed that my attempted quote hack didn't work out properly. The quote is not from Westeros user bobbybuilderton, but someone at Neogaf.

Regarding the subjects of Jorah and the Purple Wedding...

Someone is catching on:

As for the dragons, Jorah is an educated nobleman and has a lot of knowledge about the culture of Westeros. It stands to reason that he'd know, either by reading or having heard stories, about what dragons were like when they were alive and whether or not they could be domesticated. I don't think it's a stretch that he knows Dany - or anyone - could have problems with them as they got bigger. I think his comment is what it was - a warning to be careful and not an attempt to undermine her.

Someone else, not so much:

Does anyone know if [Joffrey] had a bird allergy?

Though I give the intrepid soul points for creativity.

In this thread:

People who have read the books looking down on people who haven't. Seems like ego-boosting in a manner of "I was into this way before it was cool."

Elitistic behaviour shines through in some of your comments. You lot were equally clueless when you started reading the books and didn't know the story.

By the way, does Unsullied refer to folks who just watch the show in this context?

I'm disappointed that the show didn't lay the groundwork for Oberyn's fondness for using poison, a lot of them seem to just discount him entirely as a suspect, sadly.
I'm happy that they noticed Olenna taking the poison from Sansa's necklace, I knew she was going to do it and I can't say I spotted the exact moment whilst watching it the first go.

By the way, does Unsullied refer to folks who just watch the show in this context?

Yes. I think that on the whole people aren't trying to be condescending or elitist, by the way, even if some come across that way. Personally I find it really interesting reading the opinions and predictions of people who don't have book knowledge colouring their interpretations.

On the NeoGraf thread the misunderstandings of how succession words are making my head spin a bit. One person thought that Tywin was the heir to the throne and many many many people think that Margaery is now permanently "queen" because of her marriage or would be if the marriage were consummated.

On the NeoGraf thread the misunderstandings of how succession words are making my head spin a bit. One person thought that Tywin was the heir to the throne and many many many people think that Margaery is now permanently "queen" because of her marriage or would be if the marriage were consummated.

i blame fairy tales for this.

In this thread:

People who have read the books looking down on people who haven't. Seems like ego-boosting in a manner of "I was into this way before it was cool."

Elitistic behaviour shines through in some of your comments. You lot were equally clueless when you started reading the books and didn't know the story.

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from.

This thread is a massive love-letter to the Unsullied. By and large, we love their tangents and blind alleys; we follow them to re-experience the thrill of watching the story unfold for the first time. When they get something wrong, the comments here tend to be directed at the showrunners, not the viewers.

Color me also mind-boggled at how many of show-only watchers are insisting on Cersei as Joff's murderer (and we thought she was white-washed on the show :eek: ). But then Sansa and Cersei (and to a dregree Tywin, I guess) will obviously have fallen out of the possible suspects list after the next episode. That doesn't leave much more than Tyrells or Martells. Well, and Littlefinger will be thrown into the mix.

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from.

This thread is a massive love-letter to the Unsullied. By and large, we love their tangents and blind alleys; we follow them to re-experience the thrill of watching the story unfold for the first time. When they get something wrong, the comments here tend to be directed at the showrunners, not the viewers.

This. Also it's informative for a book reader to see the discussion of show-only fans to clarify the distinctions between the show and the books. The theories are entertaining in the same way that book theories are enteraining. There's no hierarchical relationship unless you're imagining it. The biggest problem is that book readers have power over Unsullied in the form of their knowledge, so that's why they can't interact openly. From what I can tell the Unsullied coudn't care less what book readers think about them as long as they don't spoil anything.

Color me also mind-boggled at how many of show-only watchers are insisting on Cersei as Joff's murderer (and we thought she was white-washed on the show :eek: ). But then Sansa and Cersei (and to a dregree Tywin, I guess) will obviously have fallen out of the possible suspects list after the next episode. That doesn't leave much more than Tyrells or Martells. Well, and Littlefinger will be thrown into the mix.

It makes sense from the standpoint that they saw her on the verge of poisoning Tommen earlier, which was never in the books. In the books there were a lot more mentions of her being a family person and loving her children, whereas on the show there was that one time Tyrion said it.

On the PTV forum they figured it out after a little while. It's not really a mystery when it's all set up on screen visually.

I'm disappointed that the show didn't lay the groundwork for Oberyn's fondness for using poison, a lot of them seem to just discount him entirely as a suspect, sadly.
I'm happy that they noticed Olenna taking the poison from Sansa's necklace, I knew she was going to do it and I can't say I spotted the exact moment whilst watching it the first go.

Hopefully the show will continue to drag out the 'whodunit' mystery a bit longer. Once all the usual suspects have been examined and discussed all this week, then next week the show can suddenly divulge Oberyn's nickname and explain why he's called the Red Viper--and bang, new theories about 'whodunit' will spring up all over again.

This from Oz, the unsullied reviewer at WiC. All hail the showrunners for doing a bang-up job this episode of keeping the 'whodunit' a real mystery.

Please keep in mind that we are Unsullied and while we may be WAY off course, myself and the army are merely going by what we see depicted on the show. PLEASE do not spoil or mention anything book related in this post. I have likely missed many clues. However, I did discuss the events with other Unsullieds last night and the sentiment from all of them is this:

Cersei is most likely responsible.

Hey guys? Please review the forum rules on Page 1:

We do not name any TWoP by his/her username.

We do not accuse TWoP posters of being bookwalkers or otherwse being dishonest cheats. That constitutes 'gossiping' and 'talking behind their backs' about members of another website, and our mods will close us down for that. Who is or isn't a bookwalker over at TWoP is THEIR business, not ours.

If you've got suspicions, please take it over to PTV. This is not the place for the airing of grievances.

I low how the show has set it up as a legit whodunnit, though I hope the show answers it a little more definitely than the books (has it ever been outright stated that the Tyrells might be responsible?).

In the context of the show, there is motive for Oberyn, Olenna, Margaery, Sansa, Dontos, hell even Tywin.

The Cersei hypothesis the Unsullied are reaching is interesting - only because the idea that it was meant for Margaery does seem like a Cersei thing to do, they've set up her resentment pretty well.

Archived