Stannis or Euron: Who is the better naval commander?

starkbannerman87

So is Stannis.

I think neither Stannis or Euron give a crap about that. And as Lord Reaver pointed out, this doesn't affect any of their commanding capabilities.

It's interesting though that Euron is actually crazier and willing to take unforeseeable risks, which could counterbalance Stannis' resolve.

I would argue for Euron, for the simple reason that he's done it longer.

Stannis was the master of ships, but he hasn't actually led a naval engagement in over a decade. Euron, meanwhile, has been thriving in a profession with a very short lifespan, and has by now probably learned more about naval tactics than anyone on either continent. My sense is that if Stannis were to face off against Euron now, he'd probably underestimate Euron fatally, expecting the old Ironborn raiding tactics instead of a real naval engagement.

I would argue for Euron, for the simple reason that he's done it longer.

Stannis was the master of ships, but he hasn't actually led a naval engagement in over a decade. Euron, meanwhile, has been thriving in a profession with a very short lifespan, and has by now probably learned more about naval tactics than anyone on either continent. My sense is that if Stannis were to face off against Euron now, he'd probably underestimate Euron fatally, expecting the old Ironborn raiding tactics instead of a real naval engagement.

Stannis could underestimate him, but I think he could maybe adapt.

I'd like to point out though that Euron hasn't commanded a fleet in over a decade either. But yes, sailing on a boat was his life style up until now, so he has that going for him.

Because he is a superb naval commander. It's that simple. Even Victarion, who absolutely hates him, admits that his plan was brilliant.

The plan was very good, as I have said, I just want to know why the Iron Fleet never managed to conquer the Shield Islands or even just knock out their ships.

The plan was very good, as I have said, I just want to know why the Iron Fleet never managed to conquer the Shield Islands or even just knock out their ships.

Because the Reach was not distracted until now, most of their men and ships are somewhere else. Up to this point everyone thought also that the Ironborn are in the North. Euron took them by surprise.

Stannis' victory at Fair Island is impressive, but I'd take an Ironborn naval commander over someone from the mainland any day.

I wouldn't. I'd take Euron over anyone from the mainland, but he's clearly an exception - the Ironborn have traditionally been raiders who clearly have no time for little things like strategy or logistics.

Because they're generally been led by the likes of Balon or Victarion, who think only in terms of raids and plunder. Euron and Asha are literally the only Ironborn we've seen actually consider things on a strategic level.

Archived