What would have happened if Ned had gone to the wall?

rubybru

What would have happened if Ned had gone to the wall?

I was just wondering what people think might have been different if Ned had been allowed to take the black instead of being beheaded by Joffrey. Would he have been able to stay at the wall in light of everything happening to his family? Would he have been able to help them from a distance? Would he have talked to Jon about his mother?

Probably rise to the Lord Commander due to the fact that Mormount was a bannerman of his so imo Jeor wouldve let him take office and him being Neds first commander. Take Jon as his squire. He'd stay true to his NW vows because thats who Ned was.

If that had happened, he would be in a position to advise his son on a wiser course of action than secession (i.e. allying directly with the Baratheons and Tyrells rather than declaring himself king). Then their combined armies could have defeated the Lannisters with a lot less bloodshed and a lot fewer Iron Islanders, exiled (or hanged) Cersei, Jamie, and their incestibeasts, and perhaps Stannis could have eventually rescinded Ned's banishment to the NW and returned him to Winterfell, and everybody would be in a lot better position to fight the battle against the Others and/or Daenerys. Still, I think Varys and Littlefinger would still be stirring the pot and fomenting problems.

I often wondered about this over the years. That one simple, small thing could have had a big impact at least for the events north of the wall had Ned been spared as he was supposed to have been and sent to the wall instead of beheaded.

If Mormont was still murdered at Craster's then Ned would have taken over as Lord Commander. As the main lord of the north, he may have had a lot more sway over the wildlings and possibly even over the other houses. He may have been able to raise a bigger defensive army where Mormont couldn't - but unlikely King's Landing would have paid him any more attention than they did Mormont about the wights / white walkers.

Certainly his relationship with Stannis could have changed a lot of events as well.

Edit: As for his life preventing the war, I think that was still going to happen regardless of whether he was killed or not. Stannis and Renly would have still pushed it. They still had Sansa prisoner and betrothed to Joffrey and Arya may or may not have gone missing because even if they didn't kill Ned, he'd have been in the dungeons waiting to go to the wall and I can bet Cersei and Joffrey still would have destroyed all his guards / household. Robb still would have gone to war and captured Jaime - I think it may have played out similarly even had Ned Stark been spared. The only difference would have been what Ned would have done from the wall and north of the wall.

Ned would never have reached the Wall, even if he hadn't been put to death at Baelor's. Cersei would have had him killed on his way North. Ned knows about the incest and the bastardy; if Maggy's predictions have so warped her, what would Ned's secret do? She could never have left that bomb ticking away and lived comfortably.

He'd get to the Wall after Mormont leads the ranging north. Leg heals by the time he gets there. He'll rise pretty quickly. Won't do any of the stupid crap Bowen Marsh does when he's made castellan. Such as whatever's left of the Watch's forces to win a costly victory on the Bridge of Skulls that was only meant to do just that. Can also probably have more influence on getting northmen to defend the wall whether or not Robb is still off fighting. If Robb isn't, then his entire army helps the Wall. If Robb is fighting, then he'd probably go treat with the mountain clans and Manderly to bring their forces to the Wall.

Ned would never have reached the Wall, even if he hadn't been put to death at Baelor's. Cersei would have had him killed on his way North. Ned knows about the incest and the bastardy; if Maggy's predictions have so warped her, what would Ned's secret do? She could never have left that bomb ticking away and lived comfortably.

Most likely Robb captures Jaime. So they'd probably come up with a peaceful resolution. In fact she might even agree to let him go on and be Lord of Winterfell if he vows to keep her secret and not take up arms against her like what she says in the throne room with Joff. But more likely he'll still take the black because as Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North he can lead the north even better than Robb if they pledge for Stannis and he can also bring the Vale to Stannis' side. Plus Balon was scared of him and may have even provided the ships (in AGOT i recall Ned thinking about this). Plus Bolton and Frey would never turn against him and Houses Dustin and Ryswell wouldn't hold men back.

But by this time it's not a 'secret' anymore - remember, Stannis has written it out boldly a hundred times and flown it out to every Lord in every corner of the Seven Kingdoms - so Ned's knowing it at the wall won't change a thing.

I hear you that the Maggy prophecy has Cersei nutty in the head but I honestly think she was going to allow Ned to take the Black or at least hold him for ransom once it became apparent they'd need him for bargaining power to get Jaime back from the Starks. By letting Joffrey be a spoiled brat on the throne and out of control, she assisted in the mistakes that were made - losing Arya because the Stark household was murdered and Ned getting beheaded left her with only one Stark prisoner for ransom - Sansa. Joffrey screws that up too.

Ned would have told Jon the truth, agreed. He would have told only the most trusted bannermen and his son Robb the truth about Cersei's kids. but Arya, if she had been found and certainly Sansa would have been hostages. However. if Ned had not been killed, Jaime was still prisoner of Robb. Ned would not have gone to the wall and a prisoner exchange would have been made. Sansa and Arya would be iffy but Ned for Jaime and the Northern dead and Ice would have certainly be returned.

Archived