Jaime: another possibility for Knight of the Laughing Tree

Lady Barbrey

How could that possibly be relevant? Is he a 14 year old, possibly above-average height girl who may or may not have hit puberty?

Why, I have no idea. The notion that if a 10 years old boy is able to hold the lance, a fit 14 years old girl might, as well, is certainly beyond the realm of possibility.

Coming up with countra-arguments such as Lyanna would be caught stealing an expensive lance, thus can't be the KotLT (as if that wouldn't apply to anybody) is grossly missing the point.

Oh, even assuming she'd have to steal one is reaching. It could go, say, somewhat like this:

- Brandon, lend me a few tourney lances, will ya?

- Tourney... lances? Whatever for, little sister?

- Because I lost my dildo somewhere.

- Eww! Gross!

- Or, in other words, none of your business. Now, you gonna give them to me, or do you want to talk some more?

Coming up with countra-arguments such as Lyanna would be caught stealing an expensive lance, thus can't be the KotLT (as if that wouldn't apply to anybody) is grossly missing the point.

Tourney lances are disposable, single-use implements. War lances are presumably made of good wood and the tips are carefully smithed, so they'd be costly, but tourney lances are so cheap even Dunk doesn't think twice about breaking them in the lists.

IIRC, Brienne's voice speaking from under the helmet was also booming, and yolkboy ran an experiment with a metal bucket over his head, to the same outcome.

Brienne is massive, Yolkboy isn't a 14 year old girl, and a metal bucket is not a helmet. That was a truly funny moment on the board, but it really should not be taken seriously. Helmets muffle, not boom.

There was however a perfectly good explanation for the booming voice earlier in this thread.

'Cause Meera thought that would make the story sound cooler? We don't have the true story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree. We have the story as told to Prince Bran by Jojen and Meera, who hadn't been there in the first place.

Brienne is massive, Yolkboy isn't a 14 year old girl, and a metal bucket is not a helmet. That was a truly funny moment on the board, but it really should not be taken seriously. Helmets muffle, not boom.

There was however a perfectly good explanation for the booming voice earlier in this thread.

I agree. I wrote it earlier too that the only significance of the booming voice is that whoever was under the armour was trying to change their natural voice, i.e. had a good reason that something about his/her voice would be recognisable. I doubt any male be it Ned, Benjen, Howland or anyone else would need to worry about that.

There's nothing more to it and as you said Howland might not have even described it as "booming" in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think his height at that age is explicitely stated anywhere, but at 13 as a squire he won a melee against grown men. He must have been big and strong for his age to achieve that. Also, Joffrey is said to take after him in appearance, and he was tall for his age.

At the age of 13, I was the size of many adults - 5'7" and about 140 pounds (I can still remember the first time I hit 140 on the bathroom scale). I would not have been considered tall, though.

When I turned 15, I was 5'9" and 190 pounds. When I turned 16, I was 6'3" and 250 pounds. It's very possible for a person of that age to change from a short person to a tall person in a relatively short period of time.

Archived