Would Balon have attacked if Robb had kept Theon at his side?

Floki of the Ironborn

Given Balon's questionable frame of mind concerning his desire for independence, given his monstrous ambitions, and his ultimate disdain for his surviving son, did Theon's being a hostage to the Starks ever matter for Balon's plans?

I imagine Balon would have struck the North anyway, though that begs two questions in turn. First, would the remaining forces in the North be more successful in driving the Ironborn out, given how Winterfell would never have been taken. And second, what would Robb have done with Theon in that situation? He clearly trusts and likes him, but would he execute him in revenge for Balon's attacks?

Yes. He had written Theon off.

And yes, the North would have curbstomped the Ironborn in about three months and set to invade the Iron Islands afterwards. After a fashion, more like starting a rebellion against Balon led by Theon. Who'd be less than pleased with his father. Same as the Ironborn suffering that curbstomping.

Definitely, Balon never gave two shits about Theon the only reason he didn't attack before was because he was afraid of Robert and Ned, which is why Theon should have stayed with Robb to fight alongside him, the Starks were more of a family to him than Balon and Asha ever were. Like Tvshow/Theon said "my real father lost his head in King's Landing".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Theon's ACOK chapter when he returns to Iron Islands, wasn't Balon already preparing for the attack? It certainly look like Theon's captivity didn't hinder him.

This doesn't prove anything though. It's smart to be prepared when the realm is falling into civil war. That way if an opportunity came (like Theon returning to Pyke) the Greyjoys could strike quickly

This doesn't prove anything though. It's smart to be prepared when the realm is falling into civil war. That way if an opportunity came (like Theon returning to Pyke) the Greyjoys could strike quickly

Always amuses me when people actually believe this

Yes. He had written Theon off.

And yes, the North would have curbstomped the Ironborn in about three months and set to invade the Iron Islands afterwards. After a fashion, more like starting a rebellion against Balon led by Theon. Who'd be less than pleased with his father. Same as the Ironborn suffering that curbstomping.

We know that the Ironborn have conquered parts of the Northern coast and Bear Island before. This suggests to me that the war between Balon and Robb (who would be trapped fighting other enemies in the South, with a significant amount of the North's strength) would not be as one-sided as you claim.

The North would eventually win out like they have in the past, but I don't see it being a "curbstomping."

We know that the Ironborn have conquered parts of the Northern coast and Bear Island before. This suggests to me that the war between Balon and Robb (who would be trapped fighting other enemies in the South, with a significant amount of the North's strength) would not be as one-sided as you claim.

The North would eventually win out like they have in the past, but I don't see it being a "curbstomping."

Yes, but that was a long time ago under very different circumstances. Bear Island would be damn vulnerable and probably lost for good, but Balon attacked the mainland instead.

Ser Rodrik would curbstomp Asha's force first and then attack the Fever River, cutting off Victarion's retreat while Howland Reed would bleed him. Balon would loose most of the Iron Fleet and his stronger supporters, the perfect landing zone for Theon to come back and raise the Iron Islands against him.

Archived