[BOOK SPOILERS] So Jaqen H'ghar...

I may be in the minority here, but I am really ok with this change to the story. I was jumping up and down cheering when they revealed who the old man really was - totally took me off guard since obviously that's totally different from the books. This is one spoiler no one saw coming!

I was clapping and shouting "Yay!" even though I was watching it by myself !!! I was afraid the actor had been called back just to be the voice of The Kindly Man.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle one of the most important parts of being a Faceless Man in changing their face after every mission in order to never get recognised or tracked down. Realistically we would never see this 'Jaqen' face again or at least it wouldn't be used for a very long time. But the actor is great and viewers need a familiar face to help ease into this story.

What is going to happen with Maisie Williams though? She's phenominal as Arya, but the whole point of this storyline is Arya becoming a no-one, face included. It would be such a shame to lose Maisie, but at the same time it doesn't make much sense for Arya to continue to be played by Maisie soon.

Yea, realistically the reappearance of Jaqen / the 'Jaqen' face doesn't really make sense in some respects, but I agree that it was worth bringing him back for the audience connection. If 'Jaqen' had reappeared this way in the books it would have bothered me, but different media call for different measures, and having Tom Wlaschiha as the Kindly Man was the right decision for the show. I knew it was happening in advance and even I got goosebumps at the 'reveal'.

With regards to Maisie, I just really don't think they'd get rid of her in any long-term way. Maybe they'll just have Arya being played by someone else for the relevant scenes, or maybe they'll do a 'Quantumn Leap' and have Arya's 'disguise' only visible to other characters, with the audience still being able to see her 'real' face (except perhaps when we see her from the point of view of other characters). Neither option would be ideal as they would undermine the idea of her becoming 'no one', but there's just no way they're getting rid of Maisie.

Yea, realistically the reappearance of Jaqen / the 'Jaqen' face doesn't really make sense in some respects, but I agree that it was worth bringing him back for the audience connection. If 'Jaqen' had reappeared this way in the books it would have bothered me, but different mediums call for different measures, and having Tom Wlaschiha as the Kindly Man was the right decision for the show. I knew it was happening in advance and even I got goosebumps at the 'reveal'.

With regards to Maisie, I just really don't think they'd get rid of her in any long-term way. Maybe they'll just have Arya being played by someone else for the relevant scenes, or maybe they'll do a 'Quantumn Leap' and have Arya's 'disguise' only visible to other characters, with the audience still being able to see her 'real' face (except perhaps when we see her from the point of view of other characters). Neither option would be ideal as they would undermine the idea of her becoming 'no one', but there's just no way they're getting rid of Maisie.

It is a different medium so they really can't just get a different actor altogether simply because Arya's face changes. They'll find some creative ways to do that such as guest actors who only play for one or two scenes as her changed face and then back to her regular self for dialogue at the house of black and white, etc. We've already seen her in full costume on the cover of EW magazine looking great as herself in costume so they're adapting the faceless story to be more realistic for screen. In the books you can just imagine her looks changing for a long period of time but that won't work for the show and I'm ok with that too. The audience 'gets it' that they change their looks magically somehow for their "jobs" and that's all that matters. Maisie will still be the focal point of the character.

the kindly man isn't japan h'gar but he changed his face to the face of jaqan h'gar for Arya

that and the show runners wanted to bring the actor back since he was such a fan favorite

Everyone keeps saying this but I think the show writers have decided to switch it around and the Kindly Man is just a face he assumes for the outside world and his Jaqen face is really him but his name is not. For all we know, neither the kindly man face or jaqen h'qar face is the real deal anyways.

Everyone keeps saying this but I think the show writers have decided to switch it around and the Kindly Man is just a face he assumes for the outside world and his Jaqen face is really him but his name is not. For all we know, neither the kindly man face or jaqen h'qar face is the real deal anyways.

but if jaqen h'gar invited her there, why would he act like she didn't deserve it....

but if jaqen h'gar invited her there, why would he act like she didn't deserve it....

He's testing her sincerity. It's no small thing to join the House of Black and White and the last time he saw her, she was just an angry noble girl asking for death favors from him to repay the debt of rescuing him. He sees potential in her, but just because she shows up on the steps (finally) doesn't mean she's really ready. He did invite her there, but that's far from being accepted. She has a long way to go in learning what it means to be 'no one' ...

Is the Kindly Man??? D&D creativity or spoiler???

It's a way to bring back a popular and familiar face to Arya's story in this new, foreign place. My personal tinfoil speculation is that they thought about Syrio for the role, too, but nixed it since there were so many conspiracy theories about him still being alive.

If it is Jaqen H'gar I don't see how his earlier refusal to let her in accomplishes anything at all from his point of view. If it is a test what is it testing? She left and then caught a pigeon. What inner resource or quality did this prove to Jaqen that he didn't already know about? If its not Jaqen, again, so what? "That girl can chop of pigeon's head with a sword - better get her to join us".

If he is a faceless man how come all the kids are afraid of him and ran away? They surely don't recognise him. Is it just because he's an old man? I don't understand.

Storyline makes no sense in any other capacity other than from a writers sense. They needed a set block of stuff to happen to Arya this week so they came up with what we saw. The internal logic is baffling.

If it is Jaqen H'gar I don't see how his earlier refusal to let her in accomplishes anything at all from his point of view. If it is a test what is it testing? She left and then caught a pigeon. What inner resource or quality did this prove to Jaqen that he didn't already know about? If its not Jaqen, again, so what? "That girl can chop of pigeon's head with a sword - better get her to join us".

If he is a faceless man how come all the kids are afraid of him and ran away? They surely don't recognise him. Is it just because he's an old man? I don't understand.

Storyline makes no sense in any other capacity other than from a writers sense. They needed a set block of stuff to happen to Arya this week so they came up with what we saw. The internal logic is baffling.

Well perhaps it was baffling to you - just as it seemed baffling to Arya. Either you get it, or, you don't. I thought it was really well done. Whatever reason he decided to refuse her entry and then followed her to see what she would do - it worked.

You've clearly forgotten that she was about to whip needle out and make some headless boys (like pigeons) at the very moment "The Kindly Man" aka Jaqen showed up? Was that not enough proof that she's serious about killing when necessary?

Well perhaps it was baffling to you - just as it seemed baffling to Arya. Either you get it, or, you don't. I thought it was really well done. Whatever reason he decided to refuse her entry and then followed her to see what she would do - it worked.

You've clearly forgotten that she was about to whip needle out and make some headless boys (like pigeons) at the very moment "The Kindly Man" aka Jaqen showed up? Was that not enough proof that she's serious about killing when necessary?

There's no perhaps about it. I was baffled.

Yes, I saw that it worked. Stuff always works if that's the way the writers write it. I am saying that I didn't understand why it worked, how it worked, or what exactly worked when I saw it working where it worked.

Why did the boys run away?

As it stands I'll just have to shrug my shoulders to the Arya plot this week and move on. Perhaps it will be explained later or perhaps my memory of events will dull with time allowing me to forget all about it.

Refusing her entrance straight away was an utter waste of time. Testing her resolve makes no sense.. "You crossed a country in open warfare and then an ocean... but I want to watch you behead a pigeon before you enter" The reaction of the lads who target her as well makes even less sense... Faceless assassins that are instantly recognised.
As to it being a different faceless man... Of course its the same one!! there is no other way they would know what face she had seen before and why would they make an effort when the very training she is about to receive is to persuade her that they are faceless!

Refusing her entrance straight away was an utter waste of time. Testing her resolve makes no sense.. "You crossed a country in open warfare and then an ocean... but I want to watch you behead a pigeon before you enter" The reaction of the lads who target her as well makes even less sense... Faceless assassins that are instantly recognised.

As to it being a different faceless man... Of course its the same one!! there is no other way they would know what face she had seen before and why would they make an effort when the very training she is about to receive is to persuade her that they are faceless!

I thought it had something to do with her throwing the coin away. I don't get how, but Liam Neeson will explain shortly; the gurus always do.

Archived