Is Stannis the "Light's King?"

People have been commenting on Stannis being the "Night's King reborn" for quite some time now. I somewhat agree with these theories, especially since Stannis' story arc is quite similar to the Night's King of Old, almost a perfect foil, with fire, instead of ice.

Stannis has fallen for a woman, red as ruby and fiery as the summer sun. While the Night's King made horrible sacrifices to the Great Other, Mel and Stannis make horrible sacrifices to R'hollor.

Although he has given Mel "his seed" it's not clear that he's given up his soul or has become evil. Davos helped reinforce his good nature, and he has a lot of natural integrity to resist being pushed too far into the abyss. But time may change that.

The show has basically confirmed that the Night's King is still alive and is basically an immortal "Other."

Based on what I've inferred, I can suppose that Stannis is slowly but surely losing his humanity as he gives in more and more to Mel.

Yet as strange, creepy and horrid as Stannis/Mel is at times, it still doesn't seem as bad as the Night's King/Lady Other.

With the Night's King it was severe "love" or infatuation, while with Stan/Mel, it was an alliance of practicality. Also, there seemed to be no real good purpose for the Night's king's sacrifices except for maybe pleasing his queen ( maybe preventing Others from attacking?)

Let's say Stannis does go the "Night's King" route. What does he become? Some sort of Fire mage?

Am I basically on track?

The theory is that the first Night's King was an ice king, and that Stannis as Night's King 2.0 will be a fire version. Not sure I'd call him a mage, as he's not likely to have any particular powers himself, but he would be leading a dangerous fire force that be a major threat to humanity, as the Others were an icy threat to humanity.

I've never really subscribed to that theory, so I don't have a lot of details. Hopefully someone who has paid more attention to the idea will come in to flesh this out.

People have been commenting on Stannis being the "Night's King reborn" for quite some time now. I somewhat agree with these theories, especially since Stannis' story arc is quite similar to the Night's King of Old, almost a perfect foil, with fire, instead of ice.

Stannis has fallen for a woman, red as ruby and fiery as the summer sun. While the Night's King made horrible sacrifices to the Great Other, Mel and Stannis make horrible sacrifices to R'hollor.

Although he has given Mel "his seed" it's not clear that he's given up his soul or has become evil. Davos helped reinforce his good nature, and he has a lot of natural integrity to resist being pushed too far into the abyss. But time may change that.

The show has basically confirmed that the Night's King is still alive and is basically an immortal "Other."

Based on what I've inferred, I can suppose that Stannis is slowly but surely losing his humanity as he gives in more and more to Mel.

Yet as strange, creepy and horrid as Stannis/Mel is at times, it still doesn't seem as bad as the Night's King/Lady Other.

With the Night's King it was severe "love" or infatuation, while with Stan/Mel, it was an alliance of practicality. Also, there seemed to be no real good purpose for the Night's king's sacrifices except for maybe pleasing his queen ( maybe preventing Others from attacking?)

Let's say Stannis does go the "Night's King" route. What does he become? Some sort of Fire mage?

Am I basically on track?

if the search was working, I could point you to my "Stannis is the Fire Version of the NIght King" thread. I don't think it was the first, but it definitely got a lot of traction and this is something that people have been talking about for a while. I actually prefer the title of "King of False Dawn" because I feel like it defines more of who he is in the story.

I think you are confusing bits of show with bits of book. I don't remember Stannis ever having sex with Melisandre in the book.

It's heavily implied in the Melisandre chapter in Dance, since she hasn't used the bed since Stannis left.

• 4 weeks later...

In his not-a-blog, GRRM commented that Ice-Maul is not precisely the same character as the ancient Night's king. And anyway, the show and book have diverged so much that it's pointless to try to predict book-plots based on show-plots.

More accurately, he's said that it's not at all the same character:

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.

He's neither the Night's King nor Light King, he's the Right King. Which means he will die a horrible death.

Wait, does this have to rhyme? But there are still other options:
  • The Spite King, if he can't have the throne no one can.
  • The Tight King, who will raise taxes and cut spending until the crown's debts are repaid.
  • The Smite King, whose only purpose is to kill everyone that displeases him.
  • The Blight King, who will destroy the crops with a scorched-earth strategy.
  • The Sprite King, who makes the melonball bounce.
  • The Bite King, purveyor of small snacks to tide you over to dinnertime.
  • The Cite King, who will get everyone in Westeros to include proper references for their assertions.
  • The Dee-lite King, whose groove is in the heart.

Archived