How much extra reading is required?

SnowShark

This would be an easier question to ask if ASOIAF had been completed and all the other books published, but I'll ask it anyway. How important will the contents of the other Westeros-set books be to the conclusion of ASOIAF?
I've enjoyed reading the World Book and plan on reading the novellas and short stories (unless warned not to here) because I like the world in which they're set, but am wondering whether there are actually likely to be things in them that are essential to understanding and appreciating the eventual ending of the main saga.

While there are many people who believe that the Dunk and Egg stories will be essential to understanding the story in ASOIAF, I don't think that is true. So far, GRRM has used very little from the short stories in the novels. At this point, the connections between the two stories is mostly speculation.

If you read the Dunk and Egg stories, you might be able to anticipate events in TWoW and ADoS a bit better. There may also be a few inside references you might catch that you otherwise might not. But they won't be essential for understanding or enjoying ASoIaF. They will be an enhancement.

For example, you don't need to understand the entire history of the Blackfyre Rebellions to understand ASoIaF. The simple facts that Daemon Blackfyre was a bastard son of Aegon IV, he was given the family sword, and he eventually rebelled is enough. You get that from the main books.

No, they aren't strictly speaking, necessary to understanding the plots and characters in ASoIaF,  That said however, I would whole heartedly recommend them.  Even if they aren't needed to understand the series, they certainly do help a great deal, particularly with regard to Bloodraven (see above) and the character of peacetime (for the most part) Westeros in general.  Besides all of the above, I would recommend them anyway, just because they're very good reads in their own right.  So, let me second what everyone else has said and strongly encourage you to check them out along with any and everything else that Martin has published on the subject.  I haven't been disappointed with any of it yet (except for the reading in some of the audio versions).

Thanks everyone! Unlike Bloodraven I've only got the 2 eyes and a long list of books to read (not to mention a finite supply of gold dragons).
I will certainly acquire and read, the part I was undecided on was whether to do so before the end or after... Maybe D&E before and The Rogue Prince, Princess and the Queen after? Although there appears to be a fair bit of time until the end is nigh with ASOIAF anyway...

They are definitely worth a read, and they are really not very long so it doesn't take too much time. I really enjoyed Dunk and Egg and am looking forward to reading more of their stories.

I think the novellas mainly serve as a source of foreshadowing, showing how history tends to always repeat itself. By learning more about past conflicts over succession and legitimized bastards, we can get a better idea of where things are heading.

Archived