Barristan x Robert

Bright Ancalagon

Selmy said "If I had seen him smile over the red ruins of Rhaegar's children, no army on this earth could have stopped me from killing him."

Do you think that Selmy could have killed Bob at his prime? I know he was among the best swordsmen ever, but he was old, Bob was young and a monster.

Selmy was not so old then and he would have had the advantage of surprise , Robert would be dead before he knew what happened. 

When I read the title I thought it was a shipping post lol :laugh:

But no. Barristan was one of the best swordsman (only behind Arthur).

He would have carved Robert like a cake before he knew it.

I think he could, but I agree with the notion that he wouldn't have dared. In a fair fight however, which I firmly believe it wouldn't have been, then either is possible, Robert was a ferocious fighter and Barristan was one of the best swordsman in the realm. I'd pay to see that fight. 

He could have yes. But he's totally deluding himself in that quote. Not for a second would he have the balls.

This is a guy who single handily stormed Duskendale and freed the King so i'm pretty sure he has the balls.

In case you don't know the story.

"Many songs were later made about Selmy's daring infiltration. Selmy disguised as a hooded beggar climbed the walls of Duskendale in the dead of night, walking through the town streets cloaked and hooded he approached the Walls of Dunfort, scaling the walls of the castle, and slaying a sentry before the man could raise the alarm. Selmy through stealth and courage found his way to the dungeons and freed Aerys and led him to the upper levels. During the escape attempt, Barristan slew two guards and Ser Symon Hollard, avenging the death of his sworn brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt. He and the King rushed to the Stables, Selmy slaying all those who tried to intervene as the alarm was being raised. Selmy and King Aerys mounted on stolen horses charged out the Dunfort gates before they could be barred and raced through the streets of Duskendale to the towns walls eventually escaping.[14]Selmy, took an arrow to the chest during the rescue. [15] After the defiance Ser Barristan pleaded for the life of the child Dontos Hollard as a boon, to which King Aerys acquiesced."

This is a guy who single handily stormed Duskendale and freed the King so i'm pretty sure he has the balls.

In case you don't know the story.

"Many songs were later made about Selmy's daring infiltration. Selmy disguised as a hooded beggar climbed the walls of Duskendale in the dead of night, walking through the town streets cloaked and hooded he approached the Walls of Dunfort, scaling the walls of the castle, and slaying a sentry before the man could raise the alarm. Selmy through stealth and courage found his way to the dungeons and freed Aerys and led him to the upper levels. During the escape attempt, Barristan slew two guards and Ser Symon Hollard, avenging the death of his sworn brother, Ser Gwayne Gaunt. He and the King rushed to the Stables, Selmy slaying all those who tried to intervene as the alarm was being raised. Selmy and King Aerys mounted on stolen horses charged out the Dunfort gates before they could be barred and raced through the streets of Duskendale to the towns walls eventually escaping.[14]Selmy, took an arrow to the chest during the rescue. [15] After the defiance Ser Barristan pleaded for the life of the child Dontos Hollard as a boon, to which King Aerys acquiesced."

I agree with this to some extent, he definitely has guts, but he is a kingsguard who seems to take his vows seriously enough so I couldn't see him actually killing Robert, but I guess we'll never know  :dunno:

If Robert knew he was coming and prepared for it... I don't doubt Barristans brains would be smashed to pieces.

Barristan would never do it though. He likes to say shit like that 15 years after its been done and when the man he's talking about is already dead.

If Robert knew he was coming and prepared for it... I don't doubt Barristans brains would be smashed to pieces.

Barristan would never do it though. He likes to say shit like that 15 years after its been done and when the man he's talking about is already dead.

Barristan is a better fighter then Rhaegar so Robert would have a much harder time  killing him and he didn't "say shit" he thought it so you are saying he's lying to himself ? 

If he truly meant that, why didn't he go after Gregor or Amory or Tywin? So it's worse to smile over a dead baby as opposed to killing him/her?

To th OP, Robert slew a boar while his entrails were sliding out. He killed Rhaegar after being seriously wounded. Barristan was probably more skilled, but Robert is extraordinarily hard to kill, wouldn't surprise me if he managed to kill Barry and later die of his wounds. You can not simply stick a sword in his belly and expect him to stop fighting.

Robert fought with a war hammer, ans barri with a Sword, i would say that with bob fully armored and ready for it Barri would have to try hard, not even Rhaegar could best Bob in his prime... But assuming Barristan forgets his honor ans his vows (unlikely) and decides to attack Robert by surprise in the throne room, well.. Robert's reign would have been short...

Barristan is a better fighter then Rhaegar so Robert would have a much harder time  killing him and he didn't "say shit" he thought it so you are saying he's lying to himself ? 

Barristan is someone I have no respect for, because he switches sides when it's convenient. And I forgot that he thought it. I could think "if I see that guy again I'm totally gonna kick his ass," to myself, doesn't mean I'll follow through. His thoughts mean nothing because his inaction speaks loud enough.

Robert is one of the better warriors of all time, imo. He's a behemoth of a man, with considerable size, strength and durability behind him. Plus he's got a warhammer. The fight wouldn't be clear cut, but I don't doubt that Robert would win, especially seeing as he had 25 years on Barristan. Barristan, while capable, would still be a man in his mid forties, we'll past his prime.

If he truly meant that, why didn't he go after Gregor or Amory or Tywin? So it's worse to smile over a dead baby as opposed to killing him/her?

To th OP, Robert slew a boar while his entrails were sliding out. He killed Rhaegar after being seriously wounded. Barristan was probably more skilled, but Robert is extraordinarily hard to kill, wouldn't surprise me if he managed to kill Barry and later die of his wounds. You can not simply stick a sword in his belly and expect him to stop fighting.

Actually a sword in the belly will stop anybody including Robert from fighting . Robert was tough but nobody can keep fighting after somebody stuck a sword in their belly. 

Barristan is someone I have no respect for, because he switches sides when it's convenient. And I forgot that he thought it. I could think "if I see that guy again I'm totally gonna kick his ass," to myself, doesn't mean I'll follow through.

Robert is one of the better warriors of all time. He's a behemoth of a man, with considerable size, strength and durability behind him. The fight wouldn't be clear cut, but I don't doubt that Robert would win, especially seeing as he had 25 years on Barristan.

Barristan is a man of Honor, and faithfull to his vows, he only left the KG because Joffrey wanted to give a cloak to his Dog, Barristan's cloak, he would still be at the King's side..
He represents the downside of the 'life vows', they resign everything including their right to have an allegiance.. So the "he switched sides" part is unfair, all the KG that didn't die in RR swore allegiance to Robert.
OTOH while i love Big Bob B, he was a dirtbag, he was a shitty father, a shitty husband and a shitty King.. A great warrior.. But an awful king..

And remember Robert fought with a warhammer we don't know about his swordsmanship, Barristan is fast with his sword, in an equal ground, Robert would have to try really hard, especially if Selmy had seen that smile..

Barristan is someone I have no respect for, because he switches sides when it's convenient. And I forgot that he thought it. I could think "if I see that guy again I'm totally gonna kick his ass," to myself, doesn't mean I'll follow through. His thoughts mean nothing because his inaction speaks loud enough.

Robert is one of the better warriors of all time, imo. He's a behemoth of a man, with considerable size, strength and durability behind him. Plus he's got a warhammer. The fight wouldn't be clear cut, but I don't doubt that Robert would win, especially seeing as he had 25 years on Barristan. Barristan, while capable, would still be a man in his mid forties, we'll past his prime.

He switched sides after being nearly mortally wounded and his king being killed and the new king saving his life and pardoning him . The second time he switched sides was because he was discarded by the new king (who tried to have him murdered) and he had to change his identity and travel half way across the world to find a new King to serve.  So there was nothing convenient about it.

Archived