Summer not dead?

mattnj81

I think people put too much into the dire wolves. There's nothing magical or special about them beyond their size and their attachment to characters we care about.

Summer is dead. Winter is coming. Bit of symbolism there, but that's all.

On 5/24/2016 at 9:01 AM, mattnj81 said:

I know I'm being super optimistic and that D&D seem to have no regard for the importance of the dire wolves, but i noticed something upon rewatching the episode last night:

1. We don't actually see Summer die, and

2. More importantly, when the Night's King enters the cave, he walks right past the spot where Summer got swarmed. There was no dead wolf body that I could see. Is it possible we got faked out?

It's better for the story, for Summer to die.  I would like it if a direwolf dies whenever one of the Starks lie, behave dishonorably, or just downright do something despicable.  Bran did something despicable and Summer paid for it with his life.  Ghost got away with it when Jon broke his vows in the books but this is the show and not the books.

Take a good look at the Summer who died in this episode and compare him to the direwolf who protected Bran from the assassin in Season One. They are different wolves. The Summer from Season One has a dark mask. The Summer from this season is almost white with no mask. In fact, he looks a lot like Quigley, the Arctic Wolf who plays Ghost. This would add fuel to the argument that they killed off Summer just to save money. They are only paying for one wolf this season and they are shots of Summer in the end come quickly in poor light. If you look at Andrew Simpson's site, he offers wolves in five different colors including one that looks a lot like the Season One Summer. They could have rented another wolf with a dark mask. I may be crazy but it looks to me like Summer and Ghost are now being played by the same wolf. 

Archived