[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion - one last time ;o)

On 7/7/2016 at 2:32 PM, Prince of the North said:

Also, (and I may not be remembering correctly at this point) didn't they choose to omit Dany's "there must be one more" vision?  That could have really helped foreshadow/set-up Jon's origin as well.  

Yeah, they left out a lot that could have been setup on her end. They really played Jon's story down, and that's a shame. There's just such a void without Rhaegar, and without his story with Lyanna.

On 6/30/2016 at 3:36 PM, LulaMae Barnes said:

So Varys could be Rhaegar?Mmmmh, don't let D&D read that - they might use this in their little show. Anyway, I'd like this! Because it would also mean V+L=J ;o)

Jon totally looks like him,right  !?!?!:rofl:

I now want a tearful father-son-reunion...and Varys saying: "Rhaegar junior - I am your father!"

that's why Varys shaves his head. a dark, curly man-bun would be a complete give away.

On 6/30/2016 at 3:36 PM, LulaMae Barnes said:

So Varys could be Rhaegar?Mmmmh, don't let D&D read that - they might use this in their little show. Anyway, I'd like this! Because it would also mean V+L=J ;o)

Jon totally looks like him,right  !?!?!:rofl:

I now want a tearful father-son-reunion...and Varys saying: "Rhaegar junior - I am your father!"

and could explain Varys always being nice to Ned.

On 6/30/2016 at 6:06 PM, SweetPea said:

But why the hell would you paint some of your ships with your allies' sigils? That doesn't make any sense.

because it is the combined naval force of all those families. Dany's Dragons should be most prevalent, but the other families need to be represented. even medieval armies had the king's banner up front, but each other Lord would also have their's. 

15 minutes ago, ser naes yennet said:

because it is the combined naval force of all those families. Dany's Dragons should be most prevalent, but the other families need to be represented. even medieval armies had the king's banner up front, but each other Lord would also have their's. 

Even if those Houses aren't actually there, and the Martells at the very least are wiped out?

Just thought I'd post here since I've finally caught up on this one, but the rant & rave one is much more pleasing a thread. Still this show is so bad that it warrants more threads to criticize it in. That finale was particularly insulting to book readers in my onion.

5 hours ago, Davros Seaworth said:

Just thought I'd post here since I've finally caught up on this one, but the rant & rave one is much more pleasing a thread. Still this show is so bad that it warrants more threads to criticize it in. That finale was particularly insulting to book readers in my onion.

Onions, opinions, it's the same. The show sucks. :lol:

On 6/28/2016 at 1:28 AM, lujo said:

To the poor guy who went to defend what I said - sorry you got caught in the crossfire. To somebody who's read all the same stuff GRRM's read, ASOIAF reads more like a fan-fiction wiki than actual literature. And we're not talking homages here, we're talking... We're talking takign the main character of a series of books (for example the VorKosigan saga) contemporary to Martin, and putting him in his book with the entirety of his appeal taken from the person that originally came up with the character. Tyrion Lannister IS Miles VorKosigan, and Miles VorKosigan was both very conspicuous (unmistakeably so) and hot intelectual property at the time Martin just, well, stole him entirely. Do an homage, that's cool. But pick up somebody elses character at the height of the characters popularity and make him almost the main character - the only reason he didn't get sued, and lost, is because the woman who came up with character didn't even read Martin and it took him ages to become noticed (or rather it took the books in question ages to get noticed). Glen Cook did the grimdark better and Gene Wolfe did the complex so much more complex than Martin that it's completely puzzling that Marin has at any point been conisdered really complex.

Anyway what Martin liked to lift was not historical domain like Lovecrafts stuff. It was as if I right now wrote fanfiction about, IDK, Arya and in 10 years people who never read Martin considered me the inventor of Arya. Except way worse, because if someone stole, IDK, Arya, they could do more with her than Martin did (hell, Martin wrote more about her than ever got into the books, so even HE could). That's because his characters are essentially 1-2 note comic book caricatures (due in part to the structure of the work), but the stuff he stole from isn't necessarily as shallow. I do bet it sucks to be him, to know how little he himself has to do with his sucess. His just juggling other people's stuff and stock characters around a dungeons and dragons campaign map trying to get them in the right places so he can then write about historical battles.

Most of the stuff in the books is something like that, stock characters and watered down other people's intelectual property noone ever bothered to sue him over, and a lot of what isn't that is just shameless pandering. Really. There's a whole lineage of white haired and purple eyed scions of an ancient mystic people, there's kids with pet wolves, everything is color coded, there's dragons (because his publisher convinced to put them in, just like they get put in in any product that's remotely fantasy related for some reason), and just about anything that happens is lifted out of somewhere elese or even just a history book (when anything is actually happening, that is). And when the whole thing got made into a rather lousy comic book someone complained that "it didn't feel like Martin but like a collection of fantasy stereotypes". The comic book artist did have quite a bit of trouble with drawing people who didn't all look the same and like fashion models at the same time, but... the problem is that too much of the text consists of fantasy stereotypes.

I quite like Martin, despite everything, because I've read the same stuff he has, which is how I know him for what he is and I can even appreciate it. And there's a bit more to it all than just that, but his actual strengths get lost. But I've met a lot of fans of ASOIAF and for the vast majority of them their love and appreciation for Martin stemmed from the fact that they didn't read very much at all.

Just like with the Polish guy, except Martin stole from more sources. Seriously "The White Wolf" was the in-series nickname of the albino protagonist of Moorcocks novels where every single white haired fantasy character has been directly lifted from (unless there's now a generation stealing from the idiots who stole from Moorcock). And that character was meant as a parody, specifically of Conan but also of anti-Heroes. Trust Martin to put them both in as Bloodraven and Bittersteel , because hey, one man's joke character is another man's artwork -.- 

Wow. That's harsh.
Popular culture is filled with people who took the best bits of other people's creations and made it more accessible to the masses.
Just about every story ever told, including the characters in it were lifted from somewhere.

On 02/07/2016 at 11:02 PM, Maid So Fair said:

Well, the black hair does not help. I'm completely mystified why, after being so anvilicious with everything else, they haven't even bothered to mention Rhaegar. They haven't really made much of the KG being present either.

I don't think they care to be honest. They just want to get to the big reveals without the plot truly earning any of it. That's why Jon's resurrection was so anti-climatic IMO.  True story, for my friend to know who Rhaegar was, I had to relate him to Oberyn, mainly because of the following: Dany's brother has only been emphasised as Viserys, show watchers don't know who the hell the mad king is, Elia was a blip and Oberyn's motives weren't really important just so long ad something shocking happened, etc.

And I had to get to Oberyn by saying "The *bisexual* prince."

Watching this show has become incredibly frustrating.

On 7/19/2016 at 5:34 PM, The fanny from hell said:

But you're the onion knight. I thought you had done it on purpose. :P

Well, maybe I did it on porpoise. It was half on purpose.

On 7/22/2016 at 6:31 PM, Nami said:

So Kit Harrington is nominated for an Emmy...

I don't even know what to say.

I wonder how much HBOs budget for the Emmy's is. More than their budget for dire wolves I'm sure.

On 28/06/2016 at 7:28 AM, lujo said:

To the poor guy who went to defend what I said - sorry you got caught in the crossfire. To somebody who's read all the same stuff GRRM's read, ASOIAF reads more like a fan-fiction wiki than actual literature. And we're not talking homages here, we're talking... We're talking takign the main character of a series of books (for example the VorKosigan saga) contemporary to Martin, and putting him in his book with the entirety of his appeal taken from the person that originally came up with the character. Tyrion Lannister IS Miles VorKosigan, and Miles VorKosigan was both very conspicuous (unmistakeably so) and hot intelectual property at the time Martin just, well, stole him entirely. Do an homage, that's cool. But pick up somebody elses character at the height of the characters popularity and make him almost the main character - the only reason he didn't get sued, and lost, is because the woman who came up with character didn't even read Martin and it took him ages to become noticed (or rather it took the books in question ages to get noticed). Glen Cook did the grimdark better and Gene Wolfe did the complex so much more complex than Martin that it's completely puzzling that Marin has at any point been conisdered really complex.

Anyway what Martin liked to lift was not historical domain like Lovecrafts stuff. It was as if I right now wrote fanfiction about, IDK, Arya and in 10 years people who never read Martin considered me the inventor of Arya. Except way worse, because if someone stole, IDK, Arya, they could do more with her than Martin did (hell, Martin wrote more about her than ever got into the books, so even HE could). That's because his characters are essentially 1-2 note comic book caricatures (due in part to the structure of the work), but the stuff he stole from isn't necessarily as shallow. I do bet it sucks to be him, to know how little he himself has to do with his sucess. His just juggling other people's stuff and stock characters around a dungeons and dragons campaign map trying to get them in the right places so he can then write about historical battles.

Most of the stuff in the books is something like that, stock characters and watered down other people's intelectual property noone ever bothered to sue him over, and a lot of what isn't that is just shameless pandering. Really. There's a whole lineage of white haired and purple eyed scions of an ancient mystic people, there's kids with pet wolves, everything is color coded, there's dragons (because his publisher convinced to put them in, just like they get put in in any product that's remotely fantasy related for some reason), and just about anything that happens is lifted out of somewhere elese or even just a history book (when anything is actually happening, that is). And when the whole thing got made into a rather lousy comic book someone complained that "it didn't feel like Martin but like a collection of fantasy stereotypes". The comic book artist did have quite a bit of trouble with drawing people who didn't all look the same and like fashion models at the same time, but... the problem is that too much of the text consists of fantasy stereotypes.

I quite like Martin, despite everything, because I've read the same stuff he has, which is how I know him for what he is and I can even appreciate it. And there's a bit more to it all than just that, but his actual strengths get lost. But I've met a lot of fans of ASOIAF and for the vast majority of them their love and appreciation for Martin stemmed from the fact that they didn't read very much at all.

Just like with the Polish guy, except Martin stole from more sources. Seriously "The White Wolf" was the in-series nickname of the albino protagonist of Moorcocks novels where every single white haired fantasy character has been directly lifted from (unless there's now a generation stealing from the idiots who stole from Moorcock). And that character was meant as a parody, specifically of Conan but also of anti-Heroes. Trust Martin to put them both in as Bloodraven and Bittersteel , because hey, one man's joke character is another man's artwork -.- 

In one post you managed to insult the author, his readers (and fans--whom you don't find particularly well-read) and also go completely off topic. Amazing!

Archived