His name is.. (spoilers)

1 minute ago, Into the Weirwood said:

I thought so too

What do you mean his father? There are some theories about Aerys being the father, but anyway she was pronouncing something different. There was no Aegon at the time that could procreate.

I'm trying to imagine their having gotten married, and it's possible I suppose. It's not like Littlefinger had to have Sansa's marriage to Tyrion stricken so she could then be married off to Ramsay, after all. If they didn't marry though...

He would be a Great Bastard, and his name would most likely be Aegon Rivers Waters?

3 minutes ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

Same here lol. You might be right but if IIRC, After the battle on the Trident Robert was wounded after his duel with Rhaegar, so he sent Ned to ahead to King's Landing. Then got to KL but the Lannister beat him to it, Robert caught up and he was presented with the bodies of Elia and her children. Then Ned and Robert argue over if their deaths were right or wrong, Robert didn't care and Ned heads out in a blind rage to deal with Tyrells and find Lyanna.

I think you may be right.

Just now, StoneyTargaryen said:

That is correct. BUT who could or would have told Lyanna that Rhaegar's son was dead? I guess Ned could have but never struck me as someone who would have brought that up at that time.

Yet, giving it some thought-- other than knowing what Robert [by proxy] did, what else would put such a fear into Lyanna about her son's survival?

7 minutes ago, StoneyTargaryen said:

That's true. They were dead by the time Ned got there. But how much of that could Lyanna have known prior to his arrival? They didn't seem to have the time to have talked about it when he found her and for her to have then decided on the name right there after hearing the news. Felt like she had picked it before Ned arrived. But it's possible. 

What are everyone's thoughts on his legitimacy? I think there's no way they weren't married.. I don't see them having a reason to hide her saying "his name is X Snow/Sand" if hes a bastard, as it still fits with part of what we already knew of Jon Snow.

That's still a tough one. Since Ned called for a Maester and their wasn't one, just wet nurses, I'm willing to bet there wasn't a Septon to. Buuuuuuuut since it seems like she said "His name is Ae---" something, I'm leaning more to Jon being a true Targaryen.

46 minutes ago, StoneyTargaryen said:

So this is what I heard/saw in the whisper at the Tower of Joy: 

“his name is” and "Robert will kill him if he finds out, you know he will, you have to protect him" 

I think she revealed the baby to be a legitimate royal child by calling him [insert opinions here] Targaryen.

Thoughts?

Well of course. And his name is very likely Aemon Targaryen, since that’s exactly who Jon said he wasn’t. So he is.

But of course Ned couldn’t let either of those names stand.

Just now, Sir Matthis Light said:

That's still a tough one. Since Ned called for a Maester and their wasn't one, just wet nurses, I'm willing to bet there wasn't a Septon to. Buuuuuuuut since it seems like she said "His name is Ae---" something, I'm leaning more to Jon being a true Targaryen.

Well, there are historical Targaryen bastards that had names to type. 

43 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I've dissected it any times already. 

Whatever the full name is, it definitely started with the Ae____, typical to Targaryen type.

You can't name the Prince That Was Promised anything other than Aegon, I figure.

But Rhaegar already had a son named Aegon. The second son is traditionally named Aemon.

Just now, CrypticWeirwood said:

But Rhaegar already had a son named Aegon. The second son is traditionally named Aemon.

But Aegon was dead, right. I'm not saying it's Aegon definitively, but I'd put money on it as the odds on likeliest. 

4 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Yet, giving it some thought-- other than knowing what Robert [by proxy] did, what else would put such a fear into Lyanna about her son's survival?

True.. but definitely wouldn't name him Aegon if she knew what befell the last one, right?

OK this could be really important. It's faaaar too deliberate. The showrunners did this on purpose. If it does turn out to not be Jon at all then the real child would have to follow a pretty specific set of conditions. He would have to be of a certain age and have been with Ned after this event. Sorry I know nothing about the history or timeline but these criteria sound like a good place to start finding the truth of this. 

I can't see the point of them making it anyone but Jon. What's the point? Why did they do this?

Just now, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

The way her mouth moves points more to Aerys, in my opinion. I think I can hear a little bit of the 'S' at the end of the name just as it cuts to Bran's face.

Lyanna wouldn't name her son after the Mad King that torched her father and eldest brother though. Just no way.

2 minutes ago, Asvpxkvng said:

OK this could be really important. It's faaaar too deliberate. The showrunners did this on purpose. If it does turn out to not be Jon at all then the real child would have to follow a pretty specific set of conditions. He would have to be of a certain age and have been with Ned after this event. Sorry I know nothing about the history or timeline but these criteria sound like a good place to start finding the truth of this. 

I can't see the point of them making it anyone but Jon. What's the point? Why did they do this?

It’s utterly Jon: look at the identical brown eyes.

But that wasn’t going to be the name Rhaegar and Lyanna would have named him had they lived.

The point of doing this is to leave the Targaryen name hidden.  Ned then renamed the boy to protect him from Robert, per his promise.

Archived