His name is.. (spoilers)

On 6/27/2016 at 0:44 AM, deej said:

I vote Aejon and Ned just shortened it to Jon

My vote is Aegon ... which is either 'jon' in the current Westerosi Common Tongue ... or Ned or Howland (or Wylla?) changed to Jon

Edit : ive listened with a decent (tho nowhere near the best) set of headphones, and I swear there is that 'G' sound in the name.  to me, with the 'fones on...it sounds like Aegon

I am going to guess maybe Aenar Targaryen or Aerion Targaryen. Aenar first brought the Targaryen's to Dragonstone to settle and Aerion is just a family name. I think it more likely that they would have come up with a new name, one that was a combo of both family's. I have watched that scene more then a few times to think it it NOT Jaehearys , her mouth does not look like it is saying a name that starts with a J. To me it looks like she is saying something like an A. The director and the producers did that scene beautifully. They needed something that would keep everyone talking about until next season starts and they did it.

On 6/27/2016 at 0:04 AM, StoneyTargaryen said:

So this is what I heard/saw in the whisper at the Tower of Joy: 

“his name is” and "Robert will kill him if he finds out, you know he will, you have to protect him" 

I think she revealed the baby to be a legitimate royal child by calling him [insert opinions here] Targaryen.

Thoughts?

Aejon Targaryen.

It is known.

24 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

is there a "targaryen" sound following that first name? 

I've listened to it quite a few times, and don't claim I can hear even "Aejon," much less "Targaryen."

It just seems right to me.

i vote aemon

his personality matches more with the Aemons of house Targaryens, there are 2 of them that i remember 

both were selfless and honourable men

both died in servitude and both were bound by the sacred vows.

Aemon the dragonknight was in KG and very honourable and selfless man and Maester Aemon could have been a king yet he chose

NW.

JON matches with the both of them more closely so maybe its a clue that h is name might be Aemon.

Another random connection, Rhaegar and Aemon were both into prophecies and stuff... 

On 6/30/2016 at 6:53 AM, TheGreatStallion said:

You can see the difference between J and A when pronouncing but NOT BETWEEN "JAE" and "AE" at least not from that camera angle

you maybe right, it is really hard for any of us to be certain

On 30/6/2016 at 4:35 AM, ToTheWolves said:

I'm of the thinking that it's jahaerys. It did look to be 3 syllables. I also listened with my headphones on and there seems to be an "S" at the end of whatever she says. It sort of trails off.

I am not. Don't know why people discard what it's clearly audible...the finale is clearly an "on". So let's discard all the names finishing whith "ys". For me I can clearly hear that the finale is "ron" but could be "rion". So it's either Aerion or Daeron. There is no S in the name, besides Lyanna saying his name iS ..e..r..on.. I had to hear like 20 time to understand that the s was part of previous word "is" because it seems like the actress sybilated more than the needed the S with the purpose to cover the name.

On 6/28/2016 at 7:18 PM, Stormclaw said:

Honestly watched this and read her lips with the name as starting with a J followed by an A sound and longer than Jon and concluded it was Jaehaerys, then showed it to my deaf aunt and she concurred. So going with Jaehaerys for now.

If your interested in the theory checkout my post early this morning in the comments for the review at IGN under madgaurd1989: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/27/game-of-thrones-the-winds-of-winter-review?lf-content=531644328

Later today sparkledavisjr consolidated the evidence for the theory on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/4q9u0v/everything_his_name_is_the_true_meaning_of_j/

After researching the scene a dozen times,  I definitely picked up an 'r' from the way Lyanna rolls her tongue. No way would she name him after the crazy king who killed her father and brother; Jaeharys is more likely. Named after the 'old king' who created a unified code/laws for the seven regions.

2 minutes ago, Nadalia said:

After researching the scene a dozen times,  I definitely picked up an 'r' from the way Lyanna rolls her tongue. No way would she name him after the crazy king who killed her father and brother; Jaeharys is more likely. Named after the 'old king' who created a unified code/laws for the seven regions.

Yea it's definitely looking like is jaeharys 

28 minutes ago, Nadalia said:

maybe viserys. 

after all rhaegar is expecting a visenya. 

i do not think it is jaeharys, too many names in the show already. 

How is the R+L = J biology genetically possible? Except in this show a show that does what the books don't?

An albino wolf makes a bastard because the seed wasn't a strong true Targeryen birth? Purple + blue eyes = Jon's dark-brown/black eyes, and brown hair + white hair  =  Jon's dark brown hair?

We know all non bastard Targeryen's had the same features from their blood line..

2 hours ago, Billabong said:

How is the R+L = J biology genetically possible? Except in this show a show that does what the books don't?

An albino wolf makes a bastard because the seed wasn't a strong true Targeryen birth? Purple + blue eyes = Jon's dark-brown/black eyes, and brown hair + white hair  =  Jon's dark brown hair?

We know all non bastard Targeryen's had the same features from their blood line..

Baelor Breakspear had a Dornish look from his Dornish mother. So did Rhaenys, Rhaegar's firstborn child. Not only would Jon not be the first Targaryen without light hair and purple eyes, he wouldn't be the first of Rhaegar's children without the features. 

Archived