His name is.. (spoilers)

9 hours ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

I agree wholeheartedly with the long A sound, though. Egg-on makes me so uncomfortable. Aemon should have a long A to differentiate from the short E like Emmon Frey or Emmon Cuy. Rhaegar with a short E sound just sounds silly, right?

But..... Shireen specifically says to Davos, "Aegon, like 'EGG'."

....and then there's the Dunk & Egg tales.....

14 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

And how! Jaehaerys I was among the best of the Targaryen kings, (if not the best) and was known for making an effort to really bring the North into the fold. They called him the Conciliator. He ended the war with the Faith Militant (!!!) in a peaceable manner. (while also taking away their right to conduct trials and shit like that.) He was The Guy(tm) that basically made the Seven Kingdoms a peaceful place. Stabilizing laws throughout and shit. I could see Rhaegar naming his son Jaehaerys, not just after his grandpa (who was not as cool as the OG Jaehaerys) and Lyanna thinking the name was cool too. Jaehaerys has this bomb ass reputation in the North. He was the North's favorite Targ like, ever. 

If his name isnt Jaehaerys, i root for Aemon for a lot of really big reasons.

Yeah, i dunno mang. I feel like somewhere along the line, this thread just went off the rails.

Yep, Jaehaerys or Aemon make so much sense regarding Lyanna. If it's Viserys I'm gonna cry.

5 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

What confuses me, though, is that they still pronounce Aemon and Rhaegar with a long A. By all rights, Aemon and Aegon should rhyme. I know I'm wrong and it's something I shouldn't get upset about, but I just can't bring myself to say it like that. 

30 minutes ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

What confuses me, though, is that they still pronounce Aemon and Rhaegar with a long A. By all rights, Aemon and Aegon should rhyme. I know I'm wrong and it's something I shouldn't get upset about, but I just can't bring myself to say it like that. 

I tried to apply logic to the pronounciation, and see if ae=e but hae=a works (and so ae in Aerys, Aegon, Daenerys and so on is a short E while ae after H, in rHaegar, JaeHaerys , RHaella and so on is a long A), that's why I asked how you guys pronounce Jaehaerys, but the logic doesn't seem to work. I guess there isn't really a canon way to pronounce anything, is there? 

On 27/06/2016 at 5:19 AM, StoneyTargaryen said:

That's what I thought too.. but was the real Aegon was still alive at the time? Or if not, I don't think Lyanna could have known that. Or maybe she did it as tribute and for the prophecy. I'm not sure. I like to idea of Aemon.. or something like Aeghar maybe? Too close to Rhaegar, I think. So much time to guess, lol.

Maybe his name is close to Jon... I mean if Ned wanted to hide his name would he just keep a part of his name and change the other? maybe Jaeghar... Or Raehjar... Reajon

Jaelyane ... oh no! this is more 'woman' sorry! I can keep it for my daughter...

17 minutes ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Maybe his name is close to Jon... I mean if Ned wanted to hide his name would he just keep a part of his name and change the other? maybe Jaeghar... Or Raehjar... Reajon

Jaelyane ... oh no! this is more 'woman' sorry! I can keep it for my daughter...

"Jon" is the northern name, there is an ancestor called "Jon Umber" related to the stark tree. Even if his father is a targaryen, it's normal that his mother gave him a northern name, his father wasn't there to name his son, Jon was rised as a northerner and as a stark

As I already said in another thread:

Could also just be Aeon.

Has the "ae", has the "on" and has the jon-like sound in it.

Plus is in no name-giving troble compared to "Aemon" or "Aegon".

So I go with Aeon.

6 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

31 minutes ago, RhaeBee said:

I tried to apply logic to the pronounciation, and see if ae=e but hae=a works (and so ae in Aerys, Aegon, Daenerys and so on is a short E while ae after H, in rHaegar, JaeHaerys , RHaella and so on is a long A), that's why I asked how you guys pronounce Jaehaerys, but the logic doesn't seem to work. I guess there isn't really a canon way to pronounce anything, is there? 

https://youtu.be/Vcy-EhkHXnE?t=1132

I just found this linked in another thread where George Martin himself distinctly pronounces Aegon with a long A. But he also was the one who made Egg short for Aegon. I don't know what to do with that.

These names make me confused...

15 minutes ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

I just found this linked in another thread where George Martin himself distinctly pronounces Aegon with a long A. But he also was the one who made Egg short for Aegon. I don't know what to do with that.

MMmm.  I am from the Pacific Northwest, but have traveled the west coast.  I cannot remember anyone ever pronouncing egg other than as Ay-gg.  

20 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

There is no proof of that: the showrunners deliberately hid the answer from us to cause all this blather.

But you know how these people are. They just keep repeating it over and over again, whatever it is. Some of them even believe their own fantasies. But at the end of the day, all that certainty means nothing.

There’s much better evidence that he’s Aemon Targaryen, but we should all really just wait and see. Pretending to know is always bad.

There is a book easter egg or two that will be so appropriate if Jon's real name is Aemon.  So, we can hold a vigil together. ;)  

On 6/28/2016 at 11:41 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

In the books, "Jon" was named after Jon Arryn, as Ned Stark was his ward and he loved and respected him.

Has there ever been any consideration given to the idea that Rhaegar actually named Jon after his longtime friend and close confidant, Jon Connington?  It would have been easy for him to come up with that, although it would be a significant break from Targaryen traditions.  Lyanna may have liked the name and it would have been easy for Ned to spin that tale saying that the name was for Jon Arryn.

Also, perhaps Rhaegar was aware of the plot to hide Aegon away with Jon Connington (not sure about the timeline here).  Naming his next son Jon could have been a nice tribute to one of his closest friends.

26 minutes ago, Unicorn34 said:

Has there ever been any consideration given to the idea that Rhaegar actually named Jon after his longtime friend and close confidant, Jon Connington?

Barristan tells us that it was Dayne and Whent that were close to Rhaegar.  Jon Connington had a total crush on Rhaegar, but Rhaegar didn't swing that way.  Rhaegar did not treat people badly, so he allowed the friendship with Jon Connington, but it was not close.  Jon Connington thought that it was closer than it was.  But, that is bookish.  Screenplay version does not introduce Jon Connington, so there is no one to be named after.  

Rhaegar left the tower a significant amount of time before the birth, making it unlikely that he had named the baby.  He could have suggested names to Lyanna, in anticipation of the event.  GRRM tells us that Ned named Jon, perhaps that is true, and the screenplay is twisting his tale a bit.  The only really important part of Lyanna's lines are the Targaryen part.  

Anyone would immediately deduce that the father of Lyanna’s child was the person she ran off with, Rhaegar. There is nothing to hide there from the two women in the room with them.

It would not make sense for Lyanna to hide the baby’s name from everyone but Ned unless it were of earth-shaking importance.  And that would only be true if he were the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, not Aemon Sand or Jon Waters.

Thank you, MtnLion, I had forgotten Barristan's words about Dayne and Whent.  I see that my previous idea doesn't really fit with the books and certainly not with the show.  When I first read the books I was surprised to see two Jons, as most names aren't repeated.  But perhaps Jon is just as common in Westeros as John is in our own world.

3 hours ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

He also said something like there isn't a correct way to pronounce names, everybody can pronounce them however they see it, didn't he? (I might be mixing him up with someone else though) 

Well, I can do with Egon but Rhaegar will always be long A. 

6 hours ago, Unicorn34 said:

Has there ever been any consideration given to the idea that Rhaegar actually named Jon after his longtime friend and close confidant, Jon Connington?  It would have been easy for him to come up with that, although it would be a significant break from Targaryen traditions.  Lyanna may have liked the name and it would have been easy for Ned to spin that tale saying that the name was for Jon Arryn.

Also, perhaps Rhaegar was aware of the plot to hide Aegon away with Jon Connington (not sure about the timeline here).  Naming his next son Jon could have been a nice tribute to one of his closest friends.

It's a possibility but I don't think it's likely, mainly because JonCon doesn't figure in the show at all.

3 hours ago, Darksky said:

Am I the only one who hates the names Aemon and Aegon? They're the worst out of all weird Targ names.

Only because you don’t know what they mean and so why they are fitting, and because you don’t realize that they’re perfectly common not weird.

On 6/29/2016 at 8:06 PM, GreenSeeress said:

I've watched the scene about 15 times with the sound turned up maximum, and there is definitely an "ae" sound at or near the beginning.  I'm not a lip reader, and she is shown in profile to boot, so I can't tell if the "ae" is preceded by something or not.  The muffled part of her speech seems to end with an "s" sound.  Is the "s" sound part of the name or something else, like "he's Rhaegar's"? I don't know.  It is hard to believe Lyanna would name him Aerys, nor do I think Rhaegar himself would want to saddle a potential heir with that name, however much he may have still loved his father. 

I've seen the article suggesting Jaehaerys. Although it's hard to tell whether there is another syllable preceding the "ae" sound, maybe the "h" is soft and it sounds more like "Jaerys"?  

In the meantime, have you seen this infographic from the official HBO MakingGameofThrones.com blog? It confirms, for those who were saying that the scene only confirmed the identity of Jon's mother, that Rhaegar is his father.

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/got-connections-ned-promise-tower-of-joy-infographic

I'd tend to lead to this. "He's Rhaegar's" makes more sense to say right away even than his name, to show the urgency that the child needs to be saved. 

I'm in the Aemon camp if he has a real Targ name, but I think you're right on what she said now that I think on it more.

Archived