Recommend me some good audiobooks

Calibandar

17 hours ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

Neil Gaiman's own reading...

[....]

For reader/listeners of the French language, I'd recommend the reading of "Le Compte de Monte-Cristo" (by Alexandre Dumas) read by Éric Herson-Macarel

Neil Gaiman is an excellent audio narrator. He has several great audiobooks out.

And as for the Count of Monte Cristo, John Lee does an excellent English version.

On 30.9.2016 at 3:16 AM, Contrarius+ said:

Neil Gaiman is an excellent audio narrator. He has several great audiobooks out.

Yes, and I think I listened to most if not all of them :)

On 30.9.2016 at 3:16 AM, Contrarius+ said:

And as for the Count of Monte Cristo, John Lee does an excellent English version.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, delikat said:

The Children of Húrin (J.R.R. Tolkien) read by Christopher Lee is awesome.

Will try that one.

On 9/29/2016 at 8:23 AM, red snow said:

It does feel like they never double-checked with the sound editing as it's really bad at the beginning (I suspect a lot of people gave up there) but genuinely becomes less intrusive later on. Almost as if they learned as they went along but never bothered going back and changing the first few uses.

That always puzzles me when I run across an audio book with such recording variances.  It is literally as if no one listened to the final cut, or else the director accidentally provided the production facility with an early edit.  How do you not notice this stuff if you listen to the production version even once?

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

That always puzzles me when I run across an audio book with such recording variances.  It is literally as if no one listened to the final cut, or else the director accidentally provided the production facility with an early edit.  How do you not notice this stuff if you listen to the production version even once?

Given audiobooks are often released with the actual book I do wonder how rushed the production is? Still they should be able to edit and update (in fairness this does occur sometimes with my audible files). But I've heard a few where there are some sloppy cuts from various takes

• 4 months later...
On 7/3/2016 at 3:30 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

The Joe Abercrombie audiobooks are good, with narration by Stephen Spacey. Great range of voices for the different characters

Just listened to Red Country and it was fantastic.  Definitely my favorite First Law universe book.  Stephen Pacey is a delightful narrator.

I listened to Richard Morgan's Black Man and thought it was well done.  

• 1 month later...

I can highly recommend the audio version of Too Like the Lightning narrated by Jefferson Mays. Unfortunately, the sequel, Seven Surrenders, uses a different narrator -- and I absolutely hated him. I had to give up in less than an hour -- I even got a refund on the audiobook. Bleah.

Archived