Would anyone else stop the Mad King?

Winter prince

If it wasn't Jaime guarding the Mad King would anyone else have stopped him when he went to burn the city? 

The honor debate between Ned Stark and Ser Barristan got me thinking; would Barristan the Bold kill the King and save the people?  Probably not.

I think that Jaime is the only member of the KG that would go through with it.  I think most the others would stand idly by, but this isn't about me... What do you think?

Jaime also killed the pyromancer, which was key to saving the city as Aerys was not intending to light the wildfire caches  himself. 

I don't think the likes of Barristan would have killed the king, but I do think he would have killed Rossart to stop him from killing thousands, then stayed to guard Aerys and prevent him giving more orders. 

24 minutes ago, Buried Treasure said:

Jaime also killed the pyromancer, which was key to saving the city as Aerys was not intending to light the wildfire caches  himself. 

I don't think the likes of Barristan would have killed the king, but I do think he would have killed Rossart to stop him from killing thousands, then stayed to guard Aerys and prevent him giving more orders. 

You definitely just added another layer to this.  That would be quite the turn of events... and muddy up Ned taking the throne for Robert

38 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I feel like there are very few absolute principles in life. You can always dream up some sort of scenario or what if..

If there was ever a reason for a knight of the Kingsguard to slay his own King, it was the Jamie and Aerys scenario.

Very true.  Jamie would have probably been an amazing Knight if it wasn't for Cersie.  Granted... without Cersie he wouldn't have been there to stop Aerys. 

58 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

I feel like there are very few absolute principles in life. You can always dream up some sort of scenario or what if..

If there was ever a reason for a knight of the Kingsguard to slay his own King, it was the Jamie and Aerys scenario.

Unfortunately, I can dream up more while we all patiently await TWOW, but agreed.

2 hours ago, Buried Treasure said:

This. I think any member of that KG would do it, yes we do not have a lot of info about them, but they were at least true knights that swore an oath to protect weak and those that cant defend themselves.

I have another question, if ser Barristan fe killed Rossart and is outside throne room, Ned walks in with his men , what would he do? Kill Aers? Imprison him and present him to Robert? Sorry for going off topic.

30 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

This. I think any member of that KG would do it, yes we do not have a lot of info about them, but they were at least true knights that swore an oath to protect weak and those that cant defend themselves.

Rhaella was weak and unable to protect herself.

The day he burned his mace-and-dagger Hand, Jaime and Jon Darry had stood at guard outside her bedchamber whilst the king took his pleasure. "You're hurting me," they had heard Rhaella cry through the oaken door. "You're hurting me." In some queer way, that had been worse than Lord Chelsted's screaming. "We are sworn to protect her as well," Jaime had finally been driven to say. "We are," Darry allowed, "but not from him."

I think they would have stood by and let it happen, warm and confortable in their belief that they were just doing their duty. 

4 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Rhaella was weak and unable to protect herself.

I think they would have stood by and let it happen, warm and confortable in their belief that they were just doing their duty. 

This was different, 500k lives were on table and a man who is going to be dead in minutes, why not save innocent lives by killing Rossart and then die defending King?

They had to listen amd watch Rhaella, Rickard and Brandon and others, but this was very different.

"The habit of obedience runs deep"
They would resign themselves to a fiery death, probably thinking that they will burn for honor and duty and become legends.

only jaime, or another "chaotic" alignment character would do it, the likes of Bronn, oberyn, darkstar, daario, the hound.

but of the KG? no, none of them

5 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

This was different, 500k lives were on table and a man who is going to be dead in minutes, why not save innocent lives by killing Rossart and then die defending King?

They had to listen amd watch Rhaella, Rickard and Brandon and others, but this was very different.

What are the lives of a few small folk to the honor of a knight?  I'm exaggerating of course, but I think the veteran KG would weigh their personal honor (and the loss of it if they disobeyed or stood against the king) as a much higher cost than a city and it's inhabitants. 

Remember the world they live in. A world where a family line is expunged because of the sins of the lord.  A world where raping and pillaging is carried out by the armies of the "good" guys. 

Life is cheap in Westeros. 

Archived