US Elections: If you experience a painful election...

Larry of the Lawn

The Democratic Party needs to clean house, starting with the DNC.  The leadership of the DNC has been proven to be corrupt and incompetent and has led us to a Trump Whitehouse, a Republican controlled Senate, and a Republican controlled House.  We couldn't have done much worse to destroy all the work Obama has accomplished over the last 8 years.  Trump is going to be able to nominate at least one Supreme Court Justice, and it's very possible that he'll get the opportunity to nominate others.  Obamacare?  Gone.  This has been a total disaster at every level.  

If Brazile stays on as head of the DNC, I'll lose all respect I have for the party.  Here's what she recently had to say about leaking debate questions to Clinton during the primaries:

Donna Brazile is not apologizing for leaking CNN debate questions and topics to the Hillary Clinton campaign during the Democratic primary. Her only regret, it seems, is that she got caught.

“My conscience — as an activist, a strategist — is very clear,” the interim chair of the Democratic National Committee said Monday during a satellite radio interview with liberal activist and SiriusXM host Joe Madison. She added that “if I had to do it all over again, I would know a hell of a lot more about cybersecurity.”

Yeah, as strategists, Brazile and the rest of the leadership were completely incompetent.  Their rigging of the primaries for Clinton really worked out well, didn't it?  No doubt her conscience still remains very clear because she doesn't have one to begin with.

The hope for 2018 and 2020 rather overlooks the extra vote suppression measures that are about to be rammed through.

We'll see I guess. The battle for rights is always ongoing. And speaking of gerrymandering. Lokisnow you were way too optimistic! Try to be a better doom predictor in the future! LOL.

12 hours ago, Castel said:

The sad truth is that the Democrats can't really obstruct shit. They're a minority at every level of government.

you underestimate Chuck Schumer

although with 18 D seats up next year and I think 10 of them in states Trump won, Schumer may not be as effective at holding them together as Reid was

with Reid nuking the filibuster for judges (idiot) and 103 federal court vacancies, we could see some quick movement there depending on what Trump wants to do (Hugh Hewitt has been pushing for 100 judges confirmed in first 100 days, but I'm not sure how that time frame fits with confirmation hearings)

14 minutes ago, Commodore said:

the popular vote arguments are silly bc people don't vote and candidates don't campaign based on popular vote outcome, so you can't assume numbers would be the same if the rules were different

The numbers wouldn't be the same, no, but that doesn't mean Clinton winning the popular vote but losing the electoral college isn't a sign that the system is badly flawed. Turnout would probably be a lot better in a straight popular vote election, since every vote would matter even in the current safe states. Are there any stats available on whether those who support the certain winner or those who support the certain loser are more discouraged from voting in safe states?

You really need preferential voting, too, to prevent third party candidates spoiling the election; instant runoff would do, but a Condorcet method would be better.

Archived