US Elections: If you experience a painful election...

Larry of the Lawn

6 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That's weird. I know on the order of 10 Jews and all but one of them (and that one the least religious of the group) either did not vote or voted for Trump.

Wow, it's almost as if 10 jewish people isn't a valid sample size.

But I'm sure all these swastikas and Sieg Heils in Philadelphia are false flag operations

35 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Look, I actually grew up in one of these rural white communities.  One of those poor, rural, white communities.  I feel alienated from them as a member of the human race when they can't find a little more humanity than to bitch and whine that they aren't getting the top sludge at the bottom of the heap.  

I don't want these people back.  Not in the form in which they currently exist.  I don't want the Democratic party to return to the one of George Wallace.  

All I'm asking is that maybe you can stop generalizing. And for the Democrats to not abandon working class people. What do you think Barack or Michelle Obama would say about your racist, fragile ego comment?

Having said all that, fuck everyone who voted for Trump. I mean, really, fuck you guys.

2 minutes ago, Ariadne23 said:

All I'm asking is that maybe you can stop generalizing. And for the Democrats to not abandon working class people. What do you think Barack or Michelle Obama would say about your racist, fragile ego comment?

Having said all that, fuck everyone who voted for Trump. I mean, really, fuck you guys.

Why should I give a fuck what the Obamas would say?  I have my own fucking mind.  There's nothing racist about pointing out the fragile egos of whites.  

And you chastise me in one breathe then in the next one completely agree and say fuck everyone who voted for Trump.  Yeah, makes total sense.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Why should I give a fuck what the Obamas would say?  I have my own fucking mind.  There's nothing racist about pointing out the fragile egos of whites.  

And you chastise me in one breathe then in the next one completely agree and say fuck everyone who voted for Trump.  Yeah, makes total sense.  

I'm not loving being told that my friends and neighbors are racist assholes, even the liberal ones who vote for Democrats. Add that to the Slate article on how white women are to blame and it feels like my party is tearing itself apart. And it wasn't yesterday. It's a rough adjustment.

Pragmatically, I get what Raidne is saying - that the Democratic party has not considered the needs and has not catered to the white segment of the population without degrees. Like, at all. Now, for the most part neither had the Republicans, save in social ways - by mentioning patriotism or religious rights or the like. Democrats tried for benefits, but that was never a good fit as a goal. 

Trump comes along and actually feeds them some attention. They turn out, bigly. Democrats have to figure out how to get more of them back on their side.

But emotionally and realistically, it fucking sucks to think that we need to cater to people that are so absurdly unempathetic to others and we have to eat that shit sandwich, because they've got the power.

3 hours ago, felice said:

Universal castration? That would end the threat of adults with penises once and for all, and as a bonus (for those who see it as a problem) would massively cut down on immigration ;)

Great in theory, but how do you actually do it, if they're not interested in the facts?

As I said, nothing legally.

@bold Through long term, non-threatening exposure, basically like how one might help someone overcome a fear of spiders. I dunno how specifically, but I think it needs to start with loving those who fear you, not hating them.

If the Christians won't do it, maybe others could try to put the words of Jesus into action: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.

Only someone with great courage can do that. People ruled by fear cannot. 

1 minute ago, Ariadne23 said:

I'm not loving being told that my friends and neighbors are racist assholes, even the liberal ones who vote for Democrats. Add that to the Slate article on how white women are to blame and it feels like my party is tearing itself apart. And it wasn't yesterday. It's a rough adjustment.

I can understand.  I don't like finding out that people I know and spend time with are despicable scum.  It's hard.  I was legitimately surprised and saddened with at least two relatively close acquaintances/kinda dear friend when they suddenly revealed themselves to be complete and utter bigot assholes.  Nothing more shocking.  

Yes, a lot of blame rests with white supremacy. Not suggesting that the progressives don't need work.  We definitely do and the party needs a lot of work.  

29 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That's weird. I know on the order of 10 Jews and all but one of them (and that one the least religious of the group) either did not vote or voted for Trump.

Cool! I don't give a shit. Congrats, you know fewer Jews than are in the part of my family who live nearby. Why is this relevant?

2 minutes ago, Castel said:

Wow, you made me think that a ghost had shown up there :P

Why? It's not like I cracked the code all that hard, did I? It's just a different board name for the same person. 

11 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I can understand.  I don't like finding out that people I know and spend time with are despicable scum.  It's hard.  I was legitimately surprised and saddened with at least two relatively close acquaintances/kinda dear friend when they suddenly revealed themselves to be complete and utter bigot assholes.  Nothing more shocking.  

I have not come across despicable scum. I've known some racist fucks other places I've lived that were not rural, and I've seen a fair amount of despicable shit in other rural places. Indiana, get ahold of yourself. But while I know we're all looking for answers, it's not worth taking the demographic data we have, generalizing, and then stereotyping a whole group.

That's the kind of shit liberals are supposed to be against.

But I get that it's a rough day. I'm probably just too hung over to work up the energy to get pissed at whole demographics right now.

On NPR this afternoon there was a lady from NC who I guess they had been following here and there throughout the election.  Staunch Repiblican, disliked Trump and didn't want to vote for him ultimately did.  They asked her how she was feeling today and she said, 'scared!'

lol

its like... I don't even know how to process that.  A lot of people voted for Trump thinking that he wasn't really going to win, and probably a decent handful that didn't even really want him to win. It's those folks that I'm pissed off at today.

I haven't liked Clinton pretty much ever but when I weighed it out and thought about the prospect of each candidate, being, you know - the motherfucking president of the United States - I knew that I couldn't just let that be Trump because I'm personally unhappy with Clinton being the choice or with Washington DC in general.  

I totally get the urge to lodge a protest vote to signal your unhappiness with the state of affairs, but you cannot lose sight of what you are actually voting for and I think that a lot of people did.  Enough did, anyway.  I'm not naive, I know Trump has plenty of true believers.  Its those people in the margins who are smart enough to recognize a pile of bullshit when they see one having failed so miserably at keeping things in perspective and not letting their own personal dissatisfaction lead them to making a decision that they know is very unlikely to yield positive results.  It's a real bummer, especially given how close the election was.

1 minute ago, Inigima said:

Cool! I don't give a shit. Congrats, you know fewer Jews than are in the part of my family who live nearby. Why is this relevant?

Because all of them are objectively very well educated and, in my opinion, quite smart -- and about half of them are pretty hardcore Trump supporters. I'd be surprised if he genuinely threatened Jews and they did not notice or care. I don't doubt you that there is anti-semitism (I've argued that here myself) and, given the nature of some of Trump's supporters, I suspect they're involved... but I'm not sure what Trump himself has to do with it.

Archived