The curious love stories of Lannister men.

Something I noticed yesterday while reading woiaf. Each Lannister lord, from Gerold to Tywin, seems to have been in love with his wife and they had been affected by their spouse’s death.

Gerold Lannister and Rohanne Webber:

His beloved second wife, Lady Rohanne, vanished under mysterious circumstances in 230 AC

In 240 she gave him a daughter, whom she named Rohanne.  In 241 another daughter, Cyrelle.  Both these names were carefully chosen, Maester Belden points out.  “Daggers aimed at Lord Gerold’s heart,” he calls them.

Tytos Lannister and Lady Jeyne Marbrand:

While Tytos Lannister had always been known as the Laughing Lion, after Jeyne's death, no one could lay that claim by his feet anymore.

Tywin Lannister and Joanna Lannister:

He was not the same man after she died, Imp. The best part of him died with her

Only Lady Joanna truly knows the man beneath the armor, and all his smiles belong to her and her alone. I do avow that I have even observed her make him laugh, not once, but on three separate occasions

With her death, Grand Maester Pycelle observes, the joy went out of Tywin Lannister, yet still he persisted in his duty

Even Jaime Lannister and Cersei Lannister, the only difference is that Cersei isn’t dead. Yet.:

“The things I do for love...”

“I crossed a thousand leagues to come to you, and lost the best part of me along the way. Don't tell me to leave.”

But it works also for Jaime and Brienne but in a much smaller scale but I think that it fits after a fashion:

"Something stupid. Get behind me."

Jaime’s golden hand cracked him across the mouth so hard the other knight went stumbling down the steps. His lantern fell and smashed, and the oil spread out, burning. “You are speaking of a highborn lady, ser. Call her by her name. Call her Brienne.”

I am grateful, but...you were well away. Why come back?" A dozen quips came to mind, each crueler than the one before, but Jaime only shrugged. "I dreamed of you," he said.

It seems to me that Lannister men against of their House’s reputation were those who seemed that they were in love with their spouses something that was rarely mentioned about other House, maybe except the Targaryens.

Does anyone see it too?

I think that's a reason I've always felt drawn to the Lannisters collectively. They're capable of such deep love, inspiring loyalty and frightening hatreds. You witness the entire spectrum of human emotions intensely in this family.

It seems to be a running theme in their House. We see these little quirks and traits in various different families too, which pass down from generation to generation. The Tullys, for example, are always prone to having very bold, young and "spirited" leaders. Basically dudebros going to war with their frat buddies. This happened several times before and during Aegon's conquest. Then again during the Dance of the Dragons. And recently this was Edmure and his friends fighting Tywin.
The Baratheons always being reckless and strong fighters, the Starks being honor-obsessed and solemn, etc etc. 

INCIDENTALLY -- and I don't mean to derail your thread -- but what the hell is up with Rohanne Webber? How did this woman get around so much? She went from being the widowed lady of a minor obscure House whose main claim to power was owning a small little shit creek to marrying the Lord of freakin' Casterly Rock?! How??

I'm not sure how "these men were in love with their wives" qualifies as "curious".

24 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

INCIDENTALLY -- and I don't mean to derail your thread -- but what the hell is up with Rohanne Webber? How did this woman get around so much? She went from being the widowed lady of a minor obscure House whose main claim to power was owning a small little shit creek to marrying the Lord of freakin' Casterly Rock?! How??

It certainly furrows some brows. She was also able to pop out a bunch of kids for him, where she wasn't able to produce living children for any of her other husbands.

21 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

Thanks for spotting this! :)

Thank for your post!

16 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I think that's a reason I've always felt drawn to the Lannisters collectively. They're capable of such deep love, inspiring loyalty and frightening hatreds. You witness the entire spectrum of human emotions intensely in this family.

I agree. 

15 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

I'm not sure how "these men were in love with their wives" qualifies as "curious".

It is curious for Medieval  Westerosi societies.

Archived