What was Lord Hightower thinking???

Canon Claude

15 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

I fail to see the point of "maid or not" discussion here. There is nothing in the book mentioning or hinting about Lynesse's maindenhead. Just because she is a great beauty and she likes luxury lifestyle (her dad should be able to provide her), we can conclude that she might have lost her maindenhead before marriage? 

Well she did decide to become a concubine instead of heading back to Westeros or marrying a rich single man in Essos.

The captain of the Huntress refers to Lynesse as Humfrey Hightower’s “whore of a sister.”

Add all these things up and I don't think it's inconceivable to think she may have lost her maiden head before her marriage to Jorah. 

26 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Well she did decide to become a concubine instead of heading back to Westeros or marrying a rich single man in Essos.

She is still married. She can't get married again while Jorah still lives. 

26 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

The captain of the Huntress refers to Lynesse as Humfrey Hightower’s “whore of a sister.”

He also states that the Hightowers have gone to ask her for help. That means she must be more than just a whore and carry a significant amount of influence. 

Jorah makes no mention of her being 'damaged goods' before they were married so I see no reason to think that is the reason that her father allowed his 6th oldest daughter to marry a Lord. 

What difference would Lynesse being the sixth daughter make regarding her marriage prospects?  This isn't Dorne.  Lynesse has brothers so she andand her sisters weren't going to inherit anyway.  By all accounts she's a pretty girl with a rich and powerful father and most likely a sizable dowry.

I'd have to know more about Lynesse's exact age, but her age might make her a more fitting bride for certain high profile lordlings than her older sisters.  Betroathing an infant boy to a twenty year-old woman isn't really ideal.

Or, back to the OP's question, Lynesse extracted a promise from her father to let her marry for love?

I never really questioned it. Jorah was a hero in tournament and war, and a Lord in his own right. At the face of it, House Mormont and House Hightower are both equal in rank, so no loss in prestige there. Even if the Hightowers are aware of how poor the Mormonts are, Lord Hightower may figure that Jorah's fighting ability must make him a close advisor to the Starks, or at least a noteworthy figure.

Where I think people are going wrong is saying that Lynesse could have easily married better. Unless she could have married a Lord Paramount or his heir, Lord Hightower would seek to marry his daughter to bannermen - men of Jorah's rank. And there wouldn't have been lots of sons or heirs floating around. And since Jorah already had inherited, his daughter immediately becomes a Lady.

On Invalid Date at 8:43 PM, Canon Claude said:

I get that Jorah Mormont was at the very height of his fame and prowess when he asked for Lynesse's hand in marriage. He was a war hero, he just won the tourney, but all that aside, he was still a Mormont. The Mormonts are a poor house in the North on an island known for being frequently raided by the Ironborn. What convinced Lord Hightower that Jorah and Lynesse were well suited to each other, or that Jorah was of a high enough social standing to wed her?

House Hightower is a Great House of Westeros. Lynesse should have been married to someone like Stannis Baratheon or Edmure Tully. They were both sons of great houses, and in the case of the former, the once-heir to the Iron Throne. Bear Island is no place for a Hightower, and everyone knew that except Jorah, Lynesse, and Lord Hightower, apparently.

TO BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

Lord Hightower did not care whom his daughter married as long as that man was one of the chief banner man of the Starks .

Archived